Another convert to vinyl...
Jul 29, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #16 of 19
Congrats, Jerome! Wow, you've made some great choices for your first analog rig:
* Going with the best used table in your budget - that Rega P7 looks sweet!! Sounds like you did an excellent job setting it up too - that I left in the hands of the local audio shop pro
smily_headphones1.gif

* Getting a good cart - I haven't tried anything else, but I know that Benz Micro Glider is sufficient to let the heart & soul of music shine through to a much greater degree than sub-$5K digital sources (IMO).
* Using the HD650 - These cans seem like they were made for vinyl. They have a rep for opening up with a top balanced amp, but they should also be known for their synergy with a good TT rig!
* Getting lots of great vinyl to play on your rig. Nice score on the cheap opera vinyl!

Incidentally, do you use a replacement cable with your Senns? I'd always preferred the likes of the Silver Dragon and Zu on my HD650, but now with the vinyl setup I swear the stock cable is sounding more smooth and natural...weird!

So you've also got a Woo 5 on the way? I should get to hear one very soon. I can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 19
I've always been a vinyl fan even low quality players compared to cds. Now that I am getting into high quality audio gear and in a few days my system should be coming! nothing to brag about compared to yours but I still cant wait!

BTW good call on math rock and Don Caballero.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, Jerome! Wow, you've made some great choices for your first analog rig:
* Going with the best used table in your budget - that Rega P7 looks sweet!! Sounds like you did an excellent job setting it up too - that I left in the hands of the local audio shop pro
smily_headphones1.gif

* Getting a good cart - I haven't tried anything else, but I know that Benz Micro Glider is sufficient to let the heart & soul of music shine through to a much greater degree than sub-$5K digital sources (IMO).
* Using the HD650 - These cans seem like they were made for vinyl. They have a rep for opening up with a top balanced amp, but they should also be known for their synergy with a good TT rig!
* Getting lots of great vinyl to play on your rig. Nice score on the cheap opera vinyl!

Thanks. This forum made me look a lot smarter than I really was in making my selections, so I had a lot of help.

Quote:

Incidentally, do you use a replacement cable with your Senns? I'd always preferred the likes of the Silver Dragon and Zu on my HD650, but now with the vinyl setup I swear the stock cable is sounding more smooth and natural...weird!

Interesting. I have not ventured into replacement headphone cables yet, though I have been looking at some from Moon Audio (I use their Green Dragon power cords and love the way they eliminated AC coupled noise in my Woo Audio 2.)

Quote:

So you've also got a Woo 5 on the way?

Not exactly. I own a Woo Audio 2 Headphone/Preamp, and have commissioned Jack to build a pair of custom made 300B monoblocks for me. The chassis design is similar to the Woo 5, each amp will have a compliment of 3 tubes: a 300B power tube, 6SN7 drive tube, and a 5U4G rectifier. I will run these amps from my Woo Audio 2. They should be ready to ship in about 2 weeks, and I am very much looking forward to hearing them.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back