Another best amp for price thread (under $4000)
Dec 30, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #61 of 98
well contrary to my last post, i have finally decided on a combination. another head-fi member was able to convince me to go for an R10/Stealth combo. Additionally, a friend of mine bought me an ER-4P for Christmas so I look forward to receiving those phones as well. I'll try and post impressions once I receive both.

Dec 30, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #62 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane
well contrary to my last post, i have finally decided on a combination. another head-fi member was able to convince me to go for an R10/Stealth combo.

Properly tuned that should be a truly wonderful combination, I hope you really love it!

Dec 31, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #63 of 98
Quote:

well contrary to my last post, i have finally decided on a combination. another head-fi member was able to convince me to go for an R10/Stealth combo. Additionally, a friend of mine bought me an ER-4P for Christmas so I look forward to receiving those phones as well. I'll try and post impressions once I receive both.

No offense but i TRULY think you're making a huge mistake by not matching the R10s with a Supra. The Stealth has recieved excellent reviews as well, but it's a widely held opinion on here that the R10s and Supra are a perfect match for each other. Especially since Mikhail will mod the Supra for the R10s specifically. I really do wish you'd conisider this option. If nothing else just call Mikhail up at SinglePower and ask him about the R10s.

BTW, how do you plan on finding some R10s since they're OOP? I'll be more than happy to ask around for you, but i haven't had any luck with any of the requests so far. There's just too much demand and not enough supply and, surprisingly, there's still people out there that's willing to pay the full $4000 for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #64 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
No offense but i TRULY think you're making a huge mistake by not matching the R10s with a Supra. The Stealth has recieved excellent reviews as well, but it's a widely held opinion on here that the R10s and Supra are a perfect match for each other.

It's a widely held belief in that a handful of people hold it, just like a handful of people hold the belief that the R10 and stealth are a perfect combo. People who have actually heard the R10 with both of these amps can't even agree.

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #65 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
It's a widely held belief in that a handful of people hold it, just like a handful of people hold the belief that the R10 and stealth are a perfect combo. People who have actually heard the R10 with both of these amps can't even agree.

Then why have i heard ALOT more R10s/Singlepower praise than R10s/Stealth praise... and i've heard alot of Stealth praise, just not specifically with the R10s. But it seems like EVERYONE who tries the R10s with the Supra loves the combo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #66 of 98
Quote:

Then why have i heard ALOT more R10s/Singlepower praise than R10s/Stealth praise... and i've heard alot of Stealth praise, just not specifically with the R10s. But it seems like EVERYONE who tries the R10s with the Supra loves the combo.
smily_headphones1.gif

1. A lot of the R10/Singlepower praise is directed at the Maestro, which isn't the amp you are recommending.

2. The Singlepower Supra and Maestro reached their peak of interest at Head-fi at a different time than the Stealth did, you happened to catch one of these and not the other.

3. The number of people who have owned both a Supra/Stealth and an R10 or a Maestro/Stealth and an R10 for that matter is limited and don't unanamously favor either.

4. It is poor practice to make decisions about how a system sounds based on adding up opinions of people on the internet, mostly gathered briefly at meets, and summing them.

5. If trevorlane (or anyone) believes they will enjoy the sound of the R10, why would they want to buy an amp "tuned" to change its sound?

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #67 of 98
Quote:

1. A lot of the R10/Singlepower praise is directed at the Maestro, which isn't the amp you are recommending.

2. The Singlepower Supra and Maestro reached their peak of interest at Head-fi at a different time than the Stealth did, you happened to catch one of these and not the other.

3. The number of people who have owned both a Supra/Stealth and an R10 or a Maestro/Stealth and an R10 for that matter is limited and don't unanamously favor either.

4. It is poor practice to make decisions about how a system sounds based on adding up opinions of people on the internet, mostly gathered briefly at meets, and summing them.

5. If trevorlane (or anyone) believes they will enjoy the sound of the R10, why would they want to buy an amp "tuned" to change its sound?

1. Errr, no it isn't. In fact, I think i've heard more praise for the R10s through the Supra than through Maestro. I was reading reviews and "lurking" on Head-fi for probably close to three or four months before i registered. From the reviews i read, the Maestro was more detailed, while the Supra is more "bloomy". But if it's one thing that's remained consistant, it's that Supra + R10s = heaven for classical music lovers. When trevorlane mentioned he loved classical, i couldn't help but stress he try the R10s through a Supra.

2. Actually, i read alot of great reviews and interest for both. I've been here alot longer than my member status indicates.

3. I never said they did, but we're talking about ALOT of money here, and trevor seems to be all ready to jump into a decision after talking to one guy. Maybe he should pose the question directly on here and get reviews from people who've tried both or even one?

4. Why is it that people think reviews should just be used for one on one personal knowledge? If i can gather up enough information from informed reviewers why should i not share what i've read? If it's one thing i'm good at it's research when it comes to stuff like this. I'm also good and passing on information gathered.

5. Mikhail doesn't mod the amp to change the sound, he mods the amp to enhance everything that makes the R10s great - the mids, the soundstage, detail, etc. He also more than likely mods it to add some bass which the R10s sorely lack for even the most lackadaisical person when it comes to bass (like me).

I'm not saying trevor will "most definitely hate the Stealth compared to the Supra" or "The Supra is a much better amp for the R10s". But i think for this kind of money he DEFINITELY owes it to himself to find out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #69 of 98
Quote:

And so do you.

Touche. And that might be possible if i didn't live in a God forsaken place like Oklahoma. Plus, $2000 was my limit on an amp. The fact that i could get the Supra for around $2000 WITH the great tubes was the deciding factor for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #71 of 98
Quote:

No offense but i TRULY think you're making a huge mistake by not matching the R10s with a Supra. The Stealth has recieved excellent reviews as well, but it's a widely held opinion on here that the R10s and Supra are a perfect match for each other.

This sounds the same as saying, I think you'll be sorry for not putting peanut butter on your jelly sandwich. It's widely held that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are best together.

What if I'm allergic to peanuts? or just don't like them?

The Supra would be a good match IF you liked that kind of sound.

I prefer the R10 out of the Stealth and I'm not a big fan of the R10. It's up to him to audition all of them.

It's wise to figure out what a reviewers tastes are so you can put their impressions in perspective.

Dec 31, 2004 at 10:20 AM Post #72 of 98
I'll shed some light on the subject. Yes, I should probably have auditioned the mentioned items before purchasing them, but I cannot as R10s are not readily available in this area. In fact, the only phones I own of any value as of right now are the CD-3000s. Reading meet impressions actually became a large factor in my decision. It seems with agile_one's amps: R10 + Maestro/Stealth, people had different reactions when using either amp. The Stealth had a much more "in your face" type of feel, while the Maestro had a mellow, enveloping quality. Granted I listen to classical, but it's not to say I don't like my classical with a bit of power. I listen to classical in the Romantic and Modern periods, where much of the music lies in the glory of an imperialistic era gone by, into the darkness of depression, successive wars, and to new heights in the post 1950s. Not to say music from the Baroque period was peachy-keen, but if I am to match a system with the music, then I will base it upon its ability to convey emotion. I feel the R10/Stealth will do just that.

But please, slap me if I'm wrong!
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #73 of 98
Quote:

biggrin.gif

**** SMACK *****

Oops,
redface.gif
Sorry, you weren't wrong but I just couldn't let the opportunity go by!
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #74 of 98
Quote:

I'll shed some light on the subject. Yes, I should probably have auditioned the mentioned items before purchasing them, but I cannot as R10s are not readily available in this area. In fact, the only phones I own of any value as of right now are the CD-3000s. Reading meet impressions actually became a large factor in my decision. It seems with agile_one's amps: R10 + Maestro/Stealth, people had different reactions when using either amp. The Stealth had a much more "in your face" type of feel, while the Maestro had a mellow, enveloping quality. Granted I listen to classical, but it's not to say I don't like my classical with a bit of power. I listen to classical in the Romantic and Modern periods, where much of the music lies in the glory of an imperialistic era gone by, into the darkness of depression, successive wars, and to new heights in the post 1950s. Not to say music from the Baroque period was peachy-keen, but if I am to match a system with the music, then I will base it upon its ability to convey emotion. I feel the R10/Stealth will do just that.

biggrin.gif

Since agile_one has both amps and the R10. Why not just PM him and ask which he thinks is best for the R10's and your types of music. You can also PM wayne (Wmcmanus) and get his opinion. He owns the Singlepower SDS and the R10 and I believe he also has the Stealth. I cant think of anyone else that owns the three but these two people. Good luck finding some R10's to go with whichever amp you end up with.
Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #75 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Since agile_one has both amps and the R10. Why not just PM him and ask which he thinks is best for the R10's and your types of music. You can also PM wayne and get his opinion.

A great suggestion Tom. I personally lean more towards the sound of the Supra with the R-10s than the Stealth but this is based on limited listening under meet conditions, it's nothng like the experience the folks you mention have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back