Another best amp for price thread (under $4000)
Dec 23, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #46 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampwalker
Don't get me wrong. I agree that often folks are shelling out big $ on a pair of cans, amp, upgrade cable, whatever, and have only a fair quality source. I am using a somewhat dated, but still quite respectable CAL CL-10 on my hp rig. No question that the cable upgrade may not be very efficient, unless you have a quality source. People argue about where to sink the most $, but generally, the entire chain should be relatively similar quality; you wouldn't want to use a $4K source (say Esoteric DV-50 or Cary 30X) with a pair of eggos, or a $100 PCDP with a Stax OmegaII/007t. But generally, IMO, if you get a very resolving transducer (like a Stax or K1000) you will need a very good quality source (and amp), but a transducer that commits no major errors but is not the last word in resolution will sound fine with a very good source. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Very true. My problem was timing and availability. When i got in the game the R10s had just gone OOP and by the time i realized they were my "dream cans" it was almost too late. So i ended up with grade A headphones in the R10s. Not too sure how to rate my amp (SinglePower Supra with no upgrades except for the NOS tubes) and source (Rega Jupiter) since my experience with the two categories has been somewhat limited. But i know both could no doubt be better (The Supra by upgrades or perhaps Maestro or SDS?) and the Jupiter is probably solid class B. I got a steal on mine - one year old, mint condition on ebay for $850. But a $20k Linn Sondek CD12 it isn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #47 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
Maybe the 650s are just getting unhealthily popular? It's the price thing man. Plus all the praise they're recieving. You're one of the few i've seen that truly doesn't like them. I've seen others like you, sure, but the people that love them to the people that dislike them ratio is probably 10 to 1.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 650s are popular for a good reason: they are such a good all around headphone. In my opinion they are the best in their price range and tend to be forgiving of source quality due to their laid back nature. Some people prefer a more aggressive sound (like our buddy Sovkiller) and these are the people that don't like the Sennheisers. The 650 and a good tube amp would be my system of choice if I had to choose a less expensive alternative to the Omega II.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #48 of 98
The Blockhead / HD650 with cardas balanced XLR through a $2000 balanced source is unbelievable.

I suggest you try one of these out. The HD650 through a balanced amp turns into a monster of a headphone.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 24, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #49 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
The Blockhead / HD650 with cardas balanced XLR through a $2000 balanced source is unbelievable.

I suggest you try one of these out. The HD650 through a balanced amp turns into a monster of a headphone.

Cheers,
Geek

That IS a great system you've recommended, Geek, but its $2k more than he wants to spend!

JC

Dec 24, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #50 of 98
Well, I actually am considering going with the HeadRoom Blockparty setup. Only thing is I don't have enough to also shell out for a Meridian 588. I may instead try and get a Benchmark DAC-1 since it has XLR balanced outputs, and use my Pioneer DV-47ai. of course that's a maybe

having a R10/Singlepower setup is very tempting as well

Dec 25, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #51 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane

having a R10/Singlepower setup is very tempting as well

You'd probably be extremely happy with either. And since the the "Blockparty" setup would be so easy to get, it's certainly the easier choice. But man, from your tastes, the R10/SinglePower combo would be RIGHT up your alley. And if you couldn't find any R10s, i think you'd be just as happy with some Leatherheads (L3000s) and SinglePower.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #53 of 98
You can check out the NY or Florida meet impressions.

Dec 29, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #54 of 98
Quote:

I haven't seen a whole lot of reviews on the Singlepower Maestro. Anywhere I can find impressions of the amp?

I heard it briefly and it didn't do anything for me. I thought it was too dry. I haven't spent enough time with it to ensure that it's a valid opinion, but that was the initial impression.

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #55 of 98
hmmm, it seems that even high dollar amps can have its faults. would headphones only exacerbate its shortcomings, or can it possible correct them? i.e. HD650's veiled sound, but in combination with a powerful amp it lifts the veil

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #56 of 98
I find that with proper electronics (source and amp) and an aftermarket cable, the Senn phones do not exhibit veil.

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #57 of 98
i am beginning to seriously consider now the block party combo. i plan on purchasing a DAC-1 with it to round out the sound. i just hope it will be somewhat comparable to my Sansui 9090/Bose 901 sound that i have. i know headphones can't take the place of speakers, but i have neighbors to worry about now.

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #58 of 98
I'm not sure what you mean by the block party combo, I'm guessing you mean the BlockHead plus 650s. I haven't heard the BlockHead with the new reference module, but the Gilmore Balanced Ref was better than the old BlockHead in my opinion. Particularly in the naturalness of the sound and the depth of the soundstage it clearly outpaced the BlockHead. I found that black gates improved it even more. Then throw in the fact that the sticker price is lower than the BlockHead and you have a winner. It goes very well with any of the headphones I own and you have more flexibility since it accepts both balanced and unbalanced connections. With the Gilmore Reference preamp you have even more value since it is a preamp. The Gilmore V2 SE I have surpassed my Sunfire Theater Grand III as a preamp in (mostly) stock form and now that it's been upgraded with black gates and silver wire it's even better. For my money the Gilmore Reference is where your best value would be, it's a ludicrously low price for a top of the line preamp and the headphone usage is just gravy.

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #59 of 98
Quote:

I haven't seen a whole lot of reviews on the Singlepower Maestro. Anywhere I can find impressions of the amp?

I think the Maestro is built more as a pre-amp than a headphone amp. The Supra is a dedicated headphone amp and Mikhail makes an SDS which is apparantly their absolute top of the line (of course, no telling how much IT costs). Plus there's quite a few upgrades that you can get when with the Supra though. The NOS tubes are absolutely essential though. Here's one great review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #60 of 98
I can't imagine a musically satisfying combination than the Grado PS-1 (flat pads) with the Aural Audition for $3500.00. This amp really controls the PS-1's awsome and accurate bass. the treble and midrange are very high resolution and always very easy on the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back