Annual New Jersey Meet -- Saturday July 24th
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #212 of 236

Quote:
Well I've been packing my stuff and charging batteries and ....... Tommorrow at this time I'll be looking for the "magic driveway" to unload. I already can't sleep!
blink.gif

It'll be great to see you again ... man I love Head-Fi!   My wife hangs with the same 2 or 3 GFs and BFFs all the time ... I have dozens of headphone buds.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #215 of 236
Everybody...Don't forget to bring power strips and extension cords!!!

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #216 of 236

Quote:
Well put ccbass  -- I knew it was one of "NY's Finest" traps.  They have them all the time.  I have been driving in NYC 2 to 3 times a week since 1985, I have seen it all, and as I said I've been nailed 3 times, despite being an expert at spotting these things.  BTW I like fat cops.

You need to learn "the weave" -- drive on the west side when the cross street is one-way east, and reverse for the next block, like a sine wave.  You seem worried the cabs would hit you -- nah, most of the cabbies don't own the cabs, they can't ding them and keep their jobs, so you have the upper hand -- press your advantage.  I have been hit only 4 times in 25 years of over-the-top battles with taxis and delivery trucks ... I always drive old cars so who cares ... small price to pay for the thrill of victory on the steets (except the one time it was my wife's car).  And only once did my bumper actually separate from the car body.  Drive aggressive or stay home!  I want the NJ plate to be feared!!  If you namby-pamby around with Jersey plates, you'll mess it up for the rest of us.  I assume you can steer with your knees, since you need one hand for the horn, and the other for giving the finger.

Then there's the "Death Wish Highway", otherwise known as the Long Island Expressway.  OMG, I drove the LIE tonight after picking up that turntable in Dix Hills.  Here I was outclassed.  I think everyone who lives on the island is auditioning for the next Mad Max movie.  I wet myself after the second near-death experience, somewhere around Exit 31.  I really really don't want the last vision I have in this world to be a speeding UPS truck being cut-off by a white BMW nearing orbital velocity, forcing Mr. Brown in to my lane (at the exact point in the lane where my car happens to be).

But the turntable was worth it.

First time driving around manhattan for long periods of time, unfortunately.  I went from the GWB down the HHP then to the east side then the west side, then soho, then all around then to the holland tunnel. What a damn nightmare.  3 hour drive home which is normally an hour trip home.

As for tomorrow, I will actually be able to make it thanks to my spare change jar.  $50 for gas and food means I'm coming!

I offered Baba a ride, but he already made plans.  Apparently he lives 10 minutes away in the next town over.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #217 of 236

Quote:

Yes! yes! yes!
deadhorse.gif
grbwitt aka George Witterschein

Ay Gawjee (Jersey City Itailian)  dis cud end up bein' unouder scene from Da Godfader if yous keep beatin' on dat howse.
popcorn.gif

Quote:
It'll be great to see you again ... man I love Head-Fi!   My wife hangs with the same 2 or 3 GFs and BFFs all the time ... I have dozens of headphone buds.

Hi Larry, Yeah i'll be there to help set (and boost) the tables as needed.
beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #220 of 236
Alright, I'll see everyone there tomorrow!  I hope I don't get lost going there.  :)  

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #221 of 236
I'm also bringing along a brand new 175 Watt (350 Watt Peak) DC/AC Inverter (Still in factory blister pack) for the auction. Perfect for powering the odd Laptop and such while in the car.

So don't forget to bring some cash to bid, and also see what you might have floating around to donate to help pay for the room. If the Auction pays for the room we won't have to come around soliciting donation's.

Donations  are optional, but ideally it would be nice if the organizers weren't't holding the bag for the room.

I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Ethan

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #222 of 236
Well we won't have to boost the tables, the hotel called and said we got 20 all set up already!  They also very clearly gave me the name of the facilities man to grease, so we'll get the dead presidents working Jersey-style to be sure the HVAC is turned up high high high.

I just discovered via a drive-by that the Jersey Boy Bagels near me on Rt 10 is no longer a real Jersey Boy ... some other bogus name!   What a rip! 

MD1032 to the rescue -- he passes a real JBB on his (long) drive here, and we just agreed on the phone that he'll pick up a dozen-and-a-half plus two jugs of coffee.  ETA -- 8:30 a.m.

Officially set-up starts at 9 a.m. and the meet starts at 10 a.m.

I'll still get there at 8 a.m. to open the room ... the hotel needs my sig it seems to get the ball rolling ... something about credit card, or was it credit card fraud?  I think I'll put a skimmer in the hotel lobby ATM to help defray expenses, so bring and use (often) any spare stolen cash cards you might have lying about.  Or your Dad's.  People complained that the pickpockets we had circulating last year was a low-tech solution to the money problem, not befitting an organization as sophisticated as NJ Head-Fi.  We'll see how this year goes.  Ethan usually five-fingers one or two nice things off members' tables and sells them at the auction, which I think is perfectly OK since you have the chance to buy them back.

We have a table for 16 reserved at the Macaroni Grill across the parking lot, set for 6:30 p.m.  We can easily adjust that as the end of the meet gets closer.  When the check comes at dinner, I'll bank and mis-represent everyone's fair share to make a little extra cash as we wind down for the night.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #224 of 236

Quote:
Hi Guys - Add me to the list.  I'll be bringing my DIY Blue Hawaii, OPUS DAC and SR-404s

Looking forward to seeing everyone. :)

Quote:
All packed up.  I've decided to bring my KGTT amp as well.

That would be amazing!  My first reason to go is because I'm curious about the head-fi meets, but the very 2nd reason is trying out different amps with my newly obtained SR007.  I'm already feeling a longing from something I haven't heard yet.  I swear this hobby is worse than crack.  Audio equipment, it's a hell of a drug.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #225 of 236
Remember, Dave owes $1 from last year :wink: 

Quote:

We have a table for 16 reserved at the Macaroni Grill across the parking lot, set for 6:30 p.m.  We can easily adjust that as the end of the meet gets closer.  When the check comes at dinner, I'll bank and mis-represent everyone's fair share to make a little extra cash as we wind down for the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back