Annual New Jersey Meet -- Saturday July 24th
Jul 22, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #196 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak622  
" Baka: Wow, thats a lot of equipment you're bringing!   Could I have a chance to try the HD800 and HE-5LE with my Auditor?"

We're all here to listen to cool gear we've never heard. I'm sure we can work something out :)

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #197 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I  

" Your nuts. I guess I dont need to bring anything as you will have it all. LOL There is gonna be bunch stuff you have there you need three table just for you."

Are you crazy? You have to bring the T1, D7000 and your (once) beloved Matrix. The Marantz needs to be there too. We can all only dream about your shiny new (to you) Decware. LoL

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #198 of 236
Jude won't take any money for Head-Fi, so all excess $$ we collect goes to the New Jersey Food Bank, as Ari said.  This is the same charity my company gives to, and we have vetted them extensively.  Fantastic ratio of use vs overhead, and very well respected.

The Ramada has moved our room inside the hotel!!  Even bigger space, 2400 square feet up from 2000 (the total for both halves) last year, and we have it straight thru the day.  They have the right to do this under our contract (we get a discount rate, and they moved us for a full-price wedding.  I saw the bride, she's cute as a button, so I just melted, and then asked her ... no wait, I'm making that part up).

I also demanded 20 tables, even though we paid only for 15 ... we settled on 18.  John and I will bribe the set-up people and get more if we can (we swap Jersey Boy bagels for tables).

So we are not near Miami Mike's ... instead turn RIGHT (not left) as you come in the front door.  Much better access for unloading equipment -- there is a loading area and driveway with a door that opens right in to our ballroom.

I'll try to figure out the exact name of the room (everything there is grand/gold/magnificant/imperial/regal/royal/king etc. ballroom) and post it.  But if I don't I will be sure it's obvious when you walk in ... if you have a lot to unload leave your car/truck LOCKED (this is Jersey) right at the front entrance and come in -- we'll show you the magic driveway with the loading/unloading area.

I'm driving to the middle of Long Island tonight to get a TT I just won on eBay, a B&O with linear-tracking arm that matches and mates with the B&O 5500 system I discovered in this house when I bought it.  It includes a moving iron MMC2 cartridge worth more than he sold the TT for, according to SoundSmith.  LPGear says "This is one of the best B&O cartridges ever made and one of the best sounding cartridges around. This marvelous cartridge has sadly been discontinued"  Elex Atelier says "The B&O MMC1-5 series including the marvelous MMC2 cartridge".  Ari has me hooked on TTs since rebuilding my Transcriptor (which ain't gonna travel) -- can't have just one.  So I'll keep the B&O in the truck and unpack it Saturday at the hotel.  I'm bringing vinyl!

AudioCats has shipped me two Stax transformer boxes (just for smiles) for driving stats off of speaker amps.  We've got to listen to those!  I'll bring a balanced PS Audio Class D amp fronted by a custom balanced 2x12AU7 tube buffer built for me by Aric Audio (all of these just arrived and have never been used yet) ... we'll feed the tube buffer with the "tape out" of the B&O 5500 if I can find a DIN-to-RCA connector ... and also John's EMU USB-to-SPDIF box into a Matrix DAC with balanced outs.  This will give us digital and analog sources. I'll bring 404s.

Woo Audio is bringing a commercial Stax transformer box (same principle) -- Jack will have the prototype unit there. I listened to it at CanJam Chicago and it is fantastic.  I have pre-ordered a production unit from Woo's first run.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #200 of 236

Quote:
I am unsure if I can enjoy this meet now!  I've been screwed by the wonderful police of NYC with a $130 ticket. 

Talking on a cell phone, driving in the bus lane, or making a seemingly legal right turn?

Been there, done that, all 3.  Just consider the $130 a very high Lincoln Tunnel toll.

Hey, we invented extortion here in Jeresy!  We should be proud of it as an export.  In some Jersey towns, the cops collect the "traffic tickets" in cash.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #201 of 236

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I  

" Your nuts. I guess I dont need to bring anything as you will have it all. LOL There is gonna be bunch stuff you have there you need three table just for you."

Are you crazy? You have to bring the T1, D7000 and your (once) beloved Matrix. The Marantz needs to be there too. We can all only dream about your shiny new (to you) Decware. LoL

The Matrix is still oved but the Decware is getting all the love right now.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #202 of 236
I think I will be able to show up for bit on Saturday.  Only portable stuff this time.  iPad>Camera Kit>Pico DAC>Pico Slim

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #203 of 236

Quote:
Talking on a cell phone, driving in the bus lane, or making a seemingly legal right turn?

Been there, done that, all 3.  Just consider the $130 a very high Lincoln Tunnel toll.

Hey, we invented extortion here in Jeresy!  We should be proud of it as an export.  In some Jersey towns, the cops collect the "traffic tickets" in cash.

*ding, ding, ding*

Driving in the bus lane. 

Yesterday was pretty much the first time I've driven in NYC for extended periods of time and man it was a nightmare. 

I wouldn't be that pissed, but the cop waved me over because I am 19 and I was with 2 other kids.  And yet he gave a couple older drivers warnings and let them pass.  bull.  Don't give me this "it's a lesson for you" horseshit.  I even told him I never drive in NYC and I had no idea me and the other 50000000 cars on Broadway were doing anything illegal.  I mean my own ignorance is no excuse, but when pretty much all of NYC is doing it, I didn't take notice.  I was too busy avoid getting railed by 14,000 yellow cabs. 

It was a a trap too.  5 cops just walking waving people over.  Biggest bull checkpoint I've ever seen.  Mostly fat guys too.  I guess NYC just uses the out of shape guys for traffic duty now? 

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #204 of 236
Fight the ticket in traffic court as the chances that it will be dismissed are pretty good. One summer, I received two tickets in one stop for running two red lights (impossible as I was prepared to prove using lots of pictures). I took it to court, the cop didn't show and the judged dismissed everyone in the court room (all fighting tickets from that cop). That same summer, I received a ticket for going the wrong way down a one way street where the sign had been removed. The cop was sitting at the top of the hill waiting for me and everyone else. At court, the cop didn't have his story straight, the judge got pissed and told him to have a seat and proceed to dismiss all tickets related to that street. It was great and boy was the cop mad.

It's worth a try.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #207 of 236
Well put ccbass  -- I knew it was one of "NY's Finest" traps.  They have them all the time.  I have been driving in NYC 2 to 3 times a week since 1985, I have seen it all, and as I said I've been nailed 3 times, despite being an expert at spotting these things.  BTW I like fat cops.

You need to learn "the weave" -- drive on the west side when the cross street is one-way east, and reverse for the next block, like a sine wave.  You seem worried the cabs would hit you -- nah, most of the cabbies don't own the cabs, they can't ding them and keep their jobs, so you have the upper hand -- press your advantage.  I have been hit only 4 times in 25 years of over-the-top battles with taxis and delivery trucks ... I always drive old cars so who cares ... small price to pay for the thrill of victory on the steets (except the one time it was my wife's car).  And only once did my bumper actually separate from the car body.  Drive aggressive or stay home!  I want the NJ plate to be feared!!  If you namby-pamby around with Jersey plates, you'll mess it up for the rest of us.  I assume you can steer with your knees, since you need one hand for the horn, and the other for giving the finger.

Then there's the "Death Wish Highway", otherwise known as the Long Island Expressway.  OMG, I drove the LIE tonight after picking up that turntable in Dix Hills.  Here I was outclassed.  I think everyone who lives on the island is auditioning for the next Mad Max movie.  I wet myself after the second near-death experience, somewhere around Exit 31.  I really really don't want the last vision I have in this world to be a speeding UPS truck being cut-off by a white BMW nearing orbital velocity, forcing Mr. Brown in to my lane (at the exact point in the lane where my car happens to be).

But the turntable was worth it.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #208 of 236
*** ANNOUNCEMENT ***

The meet is in The Garden Ballroom.  Not the same room as last year.

The day will be hot as hades, 97 degrees with high humidity.   I have been assured the HVAC is up to the task.  I didn't tell them about our amps.

Lindsay Lohan can't make it.  She's using incarceration as an excuse, which is about as lame as Matt refusing to steal a car.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #209 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavoman  
" *** ANNOUNCEMENT ***
The meet is in The Garden Ballroom.  Not the same room as last year.
The day will be hot as hades, 97 degrees with high humidity.   I have been assured the HVAC is up to the task.  I didn't tell them about our amps.
Lindsay Lohan can't make it.  She's using incarceration as an excuse, which is about as lame as Matt refusing to steal a car."

Winona Ryder can't make it either so all our gear is safe! :D

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #210 of 236
Well I've been packing my stuff and charging batteries and ....... Tommorrow at this time I'll be looking for the "magic driveway" to unload. I already can't sleep!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back