Annoying microphonics from Westone 4R earpieces (Westone UM2 vs 4R)
Jul 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mac35

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Nice forum, this is my first post here. Anyways, I've used Westone UM2 for several years, and finally decided to get some better IEMs. I bought Westone 4R, which was a good improvement in sound quality. However, I have a big problem with 4R. The earpieces (not the cable) seem to be very sensitive to movement. I could walk, even run, with UM2 without getting any particularly noticable "thumping" sounds from the earpieces everytime my feet hit the ground. Now with the 4R this is a major issue for me. Just walking I get a lot of noise/microphonics from the IEMs, which masks the bass range in the music. Running is not really an option with these. Have other people the same issue with 4R, or is my unit defective? Listening to music while walking is what I use IEMs for, and 4R was a very expensive purchase. :-/
It would be great if other 4R owners could give their experiences. Thanks for reading. :) 

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
To me this sounds like you are actually getting a good seal with the 4R that you weren't with the UM2. Using different tips (probably smaller ones) should help at least a little.

Hi, thanks for the reply. However, I have a good seal with both IEMs. Of course the UM2 isn't totally immune to microphonics, but I can be active, walk etc., while using the UM2 and not being bothered by it. Being active while using the 4R is downright uncomfortable, esp. running.
Anyone else noticed this difference from UM2 to 4R? Thanks again. :)

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Does the um2 have memory wire over the cables?

The UM2 has the original braided cable without the memory wire, looks and acts pretty much the same as the 4R cable. I removed the memory wire/plastic from the 4R cable to see if it would help. DIdn't make any real difference unfortunately. Thanks.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Well, I think I found the issue 
etysmile.gif
. I've been using foam eartips with UM2. 4R came with silicone eartips. The silicone material is obviously denser, and I guess it transmits movement from the body more effectively to the IEMs. I tried using the silicone tips with UM2, and got basically the same microphonics/"thumping" when walking. However 4R makes plenty of noise with both silicone and foam eartips, maybe because of 4R's slightly bigger size. 
Btw. silicone eartips definately gives better sound quality. With silicone eartips UM2 still sounds very good to me. 4R has more high frequency content, details and a bigger soundstage, but the sound signature of UM2 is very warm and engaging to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back