Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #123 of 435
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #124 of 435
Looking at the spec charts on Audeze's LCD-GX page an Audioquest DragonFly Red would be a great pairing. I don't have the exact numbers, but I know the Red version would at least meet the minimum power requirement >100mW and considering they're 20Ohm I'm 99.9% sure the Red version would send the recommended power requirement >250mW. The DragonFly 1.2v would probably work as well but not with the extra wattage authority of the Red. I only mention the QADF Red as a friend of mine uses that in his console gaming setup.

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #125 of 435
It's quite sensitive, but it absolutely scales up. I think though even a decent portable amp will extract great performance out of them. I wouldn't plug them into a ps4 controller or other low output devices.
But if you don't plug them into the PS4 controller, the inline mic won't work. I guess you'd have to use a separate external microphone in that case.

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #126 of 435
But if you don't plug them into the PS4 controller, the inline mic won't work. I guess you'd have to use a separate external microphone in that case.
You don't need to use the PS4 controller for mics. Many usb gaming dacs like the Creative G6 can be attached through usb to get chat functions for the PS4.

I'm sure there are cheap usb dacs that can be used just for mics to attach to.

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #127 of 435
If it's around the same weight as MX4, it won't be too much

MX4 was quite comfy imo
Totally agree, it was very nice to wear.

Jun 26, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #128 of 435
I was really interested in these, but someone just finally posted some impressions on r/headphones and it has me worried. And they seem to be the opposite of what Mad Lust Envy said. I am going to have to wait for more reviews on this one.

"I also saw they had the new LCD-GX - the gaming heapdhone - there, and I started to ask Mark about how it sounded. He said they sounded nothing like any of the current LCD series, completely different tuning and so on. Intrigued by his response, I tried it on and it was...interesting. The first thing I noticed was the bass and mids were so far recessed that it sounded like someone put a filter on them to make them barely present. As a result, this made it seem like a large soundstage. Then out of nowhere you'd hear this super up in your face piercing sharp treble. I'm not much of a gamer, but I can see how these may be nice for gaming. The super upfront treble and large seeming soundstage seemed like you'd be able to hear all the footsteps and bullets in FPS games. Because i'm an idiot, I obviously didn't use the conveniently setup gaming laptop to test them out for gaming itself. Such a silly fellow I am. I look forward to seeing the reviews on these from gamers and reviewers in general. It will be interesting to see their impressions as well."

Jun 26, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #129 of 435
The super upfront treble and large seeming soundstage seemed like you'd be able to hear all the footsteps and bullets in FPS games. Because i'm an idiot, I obviously didn't use the conveniently setup gaming laptop to test them out for gaming itself. Such a silly fellow I am. I look forward to seeing the reviews on these from gamers and reviewers in general. It will be interesting to see their impressions as well."
That's a common misconception.
If a headphone is piercing in the treble or bloomy and muddy in the bass for music, it will translate to an equally joyless gaming experience.

Jun 26, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #131 of 435
This is the headphone I always wanted, huge planar drivers, low distortion, comfortable headband and reasonably light. I think its the coolest looking LCD so far as well, not as classy as the wood but nice color scheme.

Think this will likely be a big hit and a perfect for someone who wants one headphone that can do everything well. I am guessing that even if its not got the best FR response out the box they will add it to Reveal which will enable you to easily apply a corrective DSP.

Sadly this are out of my price range (I be a poor man!) but will definitely follow the thread so I can live vicariously though others!

These would go really nice with the Burson Playmate, kind of a perfect set. As I understand it Burson tunes their stuff using Audeze LCD series so will likely be one of the ultimate gaming combos if you dont care about DSP or just use Dolby Atmos.

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #132 of 435
I really want one but are these tuned specifically for gaming scenarios rather than for musical settings?

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #134 of 435
I really want one but are these tuned specifically for gaming scenarios rather than for musical settings?
Define "tuned specifically for gaming scenarios".

Spoiler alert - there isn't a definition.
The headphone is either tuned well for everything, or badly for everything.

Jun 26, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #135 of 435
Recessed bass and mids? Uhhh, now there's something I don't agree with. Bass and lower mids are very linear and the neutral point of the headphone. The upper mids are recessed/softer, and the treble has great extension but it's not an omg LOOK AT THIS TREBLE type of headphone.

I had the GX at home, and spent weeks with it. Not a show floor impression which is heavily compromised.

As for bass impressions, that is highly subjective. Some people think a flat/neutral is bass deficiency. I don't agree. It's not a basshead headphone, but the GX has that flatline deep bass that is always present, without being humpy or emphasized. If you are used to planar bass, this is that.

Think about a frequency curve. If the upper mids are recessed, how can everything else be recessed as well? Makes no sense. You can't have a headphone that is ALL treble. At least not realistically. Unless something is wrong. You honestly think Audeze is gonna make a treble only headphone? I wonder if these people wore glasses and broke seal.

If ANYTHING calling mids in the vocal region lacking, I can't agree with at all. It's VERY upfront.

I hate second guessing my own impressions, and I no longer have the GX in my possession so I can't reconfirm. I'm not saying others are wrong in their impressions. I'm saying that my own impressions are quite different, take that as you will.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back