Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Jun 26, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #137 of 435
Recessed bass and mids? Uhhh, now there's something I don't agree with. Bass and lower mids are very linear and the neutral point of the headphone. The upper mids are recessed/softer, and the treble has great extension but it's not an omg LOOK AT THIS TREBLE type of headphone.

I had the GX at home, and spent weeks with it. Not a show floor impression which is heavily compromised.

As for bass impressions, that is highly subjective. Some people think a flat/neutral is bass deficiency. I don't agree. It's not a basshead headphone, but the GX has that flatline deep bass that is always present, without being humpy or emphasized. If you are used to planar bass, this is that.

Think about a frequency curve. If the upper mids are recessed, how can everything else be recessed as well? Makes no sense. You can't have a headphone that is ALL treble. At least not realistically. Unless something is wrong. You honestly think Audeze is gonna make a treble only headphone? I wonder if these people wore glasses and broke seal.

If ANYTHING calling mids in the vocal region lacking, I can't agree with at all. It's VERY upfront.

I hate second guessing my own impressions, and I no longer have the GX in my possession so I can't reconfirm. I'm not saying others are wrong in their impressions. I'm saying that my own impressions are quite different, take that as you will.

If it is the way you describe I think that is perfect for me. I am still very interested.

Jun 26, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #138 of 435
Just gonna second MadLustEnvy's impression of the LCD-GX. I listened to it and canjam and it definitely wasn't bright or bass lite. Still sounded like an LCD. Flat bass, soft upper mids and treble was at a good level.
Brighter than lcd2c but not bright.

I don't see why Audeze would throw away all their tuning philosophies just because its a gaming headphone. The mobius is a well balanced headphone for example.

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #139 of 435
This was one of Mark's first show. The GX is not by any stretch have piercing Treble.
>> The first thing I noticed was the bass and mids were so far recessed
This is not how it sounds.

The GX does not vary too much from the Audeze House curve. Mids are quite smooth and upfront. We had a similar experience at the show with another headphone as well. Someone listened to two headphones and told us about how different they sounded. Unfortunately they had identical hardware and even firmware revisions and sound pretty much the same. Sometimes it is less than ideal conditions at shows and the choice of music changes perception quite a bit.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 26, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #140 of 435
Just gonna second MadLustEnvy's impression of the LCD-GX. I listened to it and canjam and it definitely wasn't bright or bass lite. Still sounded like an LCD. Flat bass, soft upper mids and treble was at a good level.
Brighter than lcd2c but not bright.

I don't see why Audeze would throw away all their tuning philosophies just because its a gaming headphone. The mobius is a well balanced headphone for example.

That makes me happy... I do a lot of gaming but I tend to enjoy music and detailed listening a lot more...

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #141 of 435
Thanks for the confirmation, Audeze. I thought it strange that someone's opinion was drastically different from mine. Lol.

Probably a case of the person listening to a bass heavy phone first, then jumping in to something more neutral/flat.

When you listen to two headphones with different flavors, your ears take time to adjust to the most recent headphone.

This is why I don't ever believe in show floor impressions. There's way too many uncontrollable factors at play. From expectation bias, constant swapping of sound signatures, etc.

These things take time.

The GX is only my 3rd experience with Audeze, and it sounds every bit like what I would've expected coming from an LCD2.2 and Mobius as my first two.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #142 of 435
I listened to them at the High End Show and as usual SVS was hammering the area like mad, with their huge subwoofers, yet still there's no way those impressions are somewhat plausible or realistic.

Not even SVS can outmask Audeze Bass. :dark_sunglasses:

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #143 of 435
The LCD-X (open) always seemed to have the best low sub bass response and extension (despite its graph showing less than the LCD-2 or 3, it sounds different when you hear it). 1-2 db more than that at 20 hz would make them ideal sonically, as they have a bit more treble than the other classic styled large LCD (not counting the smaller portables or Mobius) and that makes the treble neutral vs the typical dull. Because of that the LCD-X mids don't overwhelm since there is a balance in them the others don't have (that typically lack low sub bass & treble). Their weight and price is off-putting. These being lighter & less costly, if they have a similar response, might definitely appeal to me even more.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #145 of 435
Audeze new LCD-GX
  • Highs too sharp and piecing. Lows and mids are nice. Tried 2 different amps and highs were unpleasant through both! Not for me.

Audeze - Going from an LCD-4z to the LCD-GX was a buzzkill. A better comparison would've been the LCD-GX against an LCD-2, it had that kind of grain. Not engaging.

Two more impressions.

Hmm.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #148 of 435
A brighter LCD sounds great as long as there are no horrible peaks.

Just out of curiosity did anyone here win one of the 5 they were giving away? Drawing was supposed to be on July 1st.
We are slightly delayed in production. So we have postponed the drawing and are waiting for the units to be ready.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 4, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #150 of 435
Also yeah, if that mic isn't Powered with P48, meh. I would rather have wireless open back, with a charging dock.

I'm curious, why would you want the mic to need phantom power? It would be the right thing to do for audeze to add a dynamic back to these as a condenser like you are talking about would we way to sensitive and have sound leaking in from the open-backed headphones. It better be a dynamic, and those don't take 48v power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back