Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #241 of 435
A small update to my previous post.
I have been running burn-in track from 2XHD AUDIOPHILE HI-RES TEST ALBUM for about 100 hours now and subjectively bass have improved. So I can say that at the moment I am 100% satisfied with the sound.
I haven't tested the microphone yet, since I am at work till mid October.

I remember quite a few people were asking about the weight of the headphones. I finally got to the proper scales and my pair weighs 490 grams without the cable.

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #245 of 435
I think people are overexaggerating bass here. The GX has absolutely fantastic bass extension and presence. It's just tighter and more refined. Less bloomy and warm. It extends all the way down, and if you have bassy music, the bass is all right there. Unless you like an obvious emphasis on bass, I don't see how the GX bass is 'lacking'. Hell, I have a Grado White headphone on hand, you wanna talk about lacking in sub bass, that'll really show you just how much better the GX is at representing sub bass.

Yes, it ain't an LCD2 which is bass and mid first then treble. This is more of a balance between bass mids AND treble. That's the nature of the upper range being less dipped down on the GX, so there is less 'focus' on bass and midrange, and more of an even approach.

You can't have an LCD2 tuned to have better highs with the same exact bass and midrange. There is always going to be a change in audible presence when you skew things differently.

There's no such thing as forward bass, forward mids, and forward treble. You can only pick two, or have a linear balance between the three.
Thx for describing it perfectly for me. I tried them both yesterday at a shop and I just thought that the LCD GX was too neutral for my tastes. Do note I have alot of 'fun' hp, campfire cascade, hifiman X V2,Zmf aeolus, fidelio x2. I was looking forward to the LCD GX to bring forward to my UNI next year seeing as how it has a mic and will save me up space and it's also lighter than the LCD2. But now I think I will just get the LCD2 and bring an external mic. The pro of the GX for me is that the soundstage is a tad bit bigger. Though according to your review , the LCD2 will still suffice for gaming
Edit= NVM, I forgot about the weight of the LCD2. Might be leaning towards the GX now

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #246 of 435
Edit= NVM, I forgot about the weight of the LCD2. Might be leaning towards the GX now
I don't think that the weight in this case is a deal breaker.
LCD-2 Classic - 550g.
LCD-2 - 595g (Rosewood), 580g (Shedua/Bamboo)
LCD-GX - 490g.
60-105g difference. But in case of LCD-GX you do get an extra cable with mic and mini jack.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #247 of 435
LCD-2 Classic - 550g.
LCD-GX - 490g.
60-105g difference. But in case of LCD-GX you do get an extra cable with mic and mini jack.
I love the build quality of Audeze headphones. I just wish they weren't such a neck workout!

I keep hoping that someday they'll release an LCD series headphone that utilizes a nice, lightweight single-sided magnet structure (like Hifiman does).

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #250 of 435
LCD-2 Classic - 550g.
LCD-GX - 490g.
Thx for the insight , I didn't know the GX was still that heavy. Didn't feel like it for me when I was wearing it. Only when I wore the LCD2 bamboo did I finally feel a slight weigh on my neck though not greatly to cause discomfort. However the store owner did also notify me that I was trying the LCD2 out with their new suspension headband which greatly improved weight distribution

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #251 of 435
Has this better sound than the mobius? I can't find any comparison between the two. Thanks

Yeah better sound than the Mobius to me. Comparing to the Mobius default EQ, the Mobius has more bass quantity but less bass quality. The bass on the Mobius is not as detailed as the LCD-GX. The mids are pretty close to the same but the LCD-GX has slightly more forward mids. The highs on the Mobius are maybe slightly higher but it's only like 10% barely noticeable. The LCD-GX sounds overall more detailed to me. Better bass quality, better mid quality. And highs are about the same. The problem though is that the Mobius is pretty close for 1/3 the price. And the LCD-GX mic picks up everything from the headphones in voice activity mode on PS4 and Xbox One. And on PC if you don't set the threshold really high. Fine for push to talk on PC. The mics are the same quality which I would say is very good mic quality. The Mobius mic does not pick up the headphone sounds and transmit them so it's better in that.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #252 of 435
So I just ordered one of these sexy beasts and, after reading some of the posts in this thread, I have a question. I currently have the Sennheiser GSX1000, which has served me well in terms of sound and features for my PC gaming per my personal preference. However, the mic quality input suffers when fed through it. So, considering the opinions of others in re: the GSX in general, I would very much like to try a new Amp and/or DAC of the regular stereo persuasion with good mic clarity. The only caveat I would have is that the volume can be controlled through software/Windows - I play on a portable desk on my couch and I do not want to get up to play with volume constantly.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #255 of 435
So I just ordered one of these sexy beasts and, after reading some of the posts in this thread, I have a question. I currently have the Sennheiser GSX1000, which has served me well in terms of sound and features for my PC gaming per my personal preference. However, the mic quality input suffers when fed through it. So, considering the opinions of others in re: the GSX in general, I would very much like to try a new Amp and/or DAC of the regular stereo persuasion with good mic clarity. The only caveat I would have is that the volume can be controlled through software/Windows - I play on a portable desk on my couch and I do not want to get up to play with volume constantly.

Anybody have any recommendations?

I used the Sound BlasterX G6 and it seemed to do everything adequately.

compare with beyerdynamic mmx300

Just compared them. The MMX300 has more bass and way way way more highs. The bass is better in the MMX300. It has more bass and it slams harder and seems to extend better. The mic is better on the MMX300 as it does sound very good and does not feed back the audio of the headphones into the mic like the LCD-GX does. The MMX300 definitely feels lighter than the LCD-GX as well. But for me it has less comfort because it does clamp a little too hard and the pads are a little too stiff. Also the cord on the MMX300 is like extremely hard to change or even put in for the first time because I had to use actual pliers or it wouldn't go in properly on the MMX300 it was just to hard to put in. The mids and highs are better on the LCD-GX. On the LCD-GX it sounds right and detailed and a little dark but still with detail. The MMX300 on the other had is extremely bright, has sibilance on some music and some in game sounds that can be very distracting and also piercing. Soundstage are about the same and imaging is better on the LCD-GX but it's very close there as well. The sibilance is not a huge problem but it is there and can be annoying at times if you are sensitive to it, but I am not that sensitive to it. The MMX300 sounds almost identical to my DT 770 250ohm I purchased a few years ago. So I would say the LCD-GX is better overall if you have a separate mic. Or use push to talk.

+1

Are these better than the Beyerdynamic mmx 300 or the audio technica ath-adg1x?
I'm on the market for a replacement for my Pc360.

LCD-GX is better than both. I just compared them to the ATH-ADG1x. ATH-ADG1x has no bass slam at all. ADG1x has no bass extension and low quantity. A bit brighter than the LCD-GX but sounds artificial and slightly less detailed than the LCD-GX. Mic on ADG1x is very good and doesn't feed back what the headphone plays on PS4 and PC where as the LCD-GX does and you have to use push to talk or a separate mic. LCD-GX beats the ADG1x in all sound categories to me. Better bass, better mids, better highs. The ATH-ADG1x is just not a very good headphone in my opinion. It does have a bigger soundstage than the LCD-GX but it's not as accurate in the imaging and soundstage on the LCD-GX is still very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back