Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Nov 9, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #421 of 435
Thank you!

As an update to our last response: The forums are not really a feasible place for us to swim through all responses and assist with everyone's issues, so for anyone with ANY issues, contact us directly at support@audeze.com where we WILL get to you promptly and will absolutely be able provide assistance.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 9, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #422 of 435
As an update to our last response: The forums are not really a feasible place for us to swim through all responses and assist with everyone's issues, so for anyone with ANY issues, contact us directly at support@audeze.com where we WILL get to you promptly and will absolutely be able provide assistance.
Thanks!

I just sent an email.

The shop just contacted me... The distributor doesn't know what caused the damage, they are washing their hands on it, declared it self made and quoted me 1/3rd of the price to get them serviced... And that's by looking at some images and the LCD's being still inside the warranty period.

Just don't know what to say...

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #423 of 435
I've found reviews from random people describing GX as something in between 2 Classic and X. Can it be somehow real?
I own LCD-2C and use them with EQ to elevate the bass. And now they sound muffled or muddy. I guess X or GX should be a better option for lows EQing. Not sure about 2 Closed Back or XC.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #424 of 435
i got a pair of these today after trying to make up my mind about them for the last few months, there is so little information on these out there, and even less actually good reviews.
people just see/hear the "gaming" part and ignore them. i didnt buy these "for" gaming, but they will be used to listen to music and yes to play games with, as i do with all my headphones, i bought these because they were WAY lighter than the LCD2/2c/x and they're made of metal, which is nice. one thing ive not seen anyone mention is the clamping force. im going to have to do something about that as the intense squeeze on my temples hit me with a headache pretty quickly. these do sound pretty darn good though. i think people just need to ignore the Gaming part and have a try of these.
I've not done an A>B with my focal clear pro, or my Arya(se) or my DCA aeon 2 noir yet. but these do definitely have some nice bass.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #425 of 435
I have been using dynamic headphones in recording/ mixing since a long time
and about 6 months ago I bought my first planar headphone - the Audeze LCD-1.

I notice that it is my favorite now for pure listening.
For editing I use my lightweight ATH R70x, for recording I use AKG K271 and K371.

There is something in the LCD-1 that I like a lot.
The music plays so vivid and punchy that it triggered my interest into planar magnetic headphones.

It brought me here...since I read a lot of good things about the LCD-GX
I dont like heavy weighted headphones and thats what is keeping me from ordering/trying the LCD-X

Would you recommend the LCD-GX as an upgrade to my LCD-1?
Is there other planar competitors in that price and weight range?
How does the LCD-GX hold up against the LCD-X 2021 model? (couldnt find much about this)

Thanks!
PS: I wont use them for gaming

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #427 of 435
I've been using the LCD GX for about 6 months now and I love them. I don't have anything comparable that I own though anymore. I did own the 660s, and I've tried the Arya and LCD X (2021) and I prefer the LCD GX to those overall.

What I like about the LCD GX is that they sound great out of the box, they have a good soundstage and great imaging. In games like Apex Legends they are perfectly adequate to position footsteps. Truthfully though I do not believe that there is that much variation between different pairs of headphones in that aspect of gaming performance. I see large numbers of pro players using the absolute worst IEMs you could imagine and it does not prevent them from performing exceedingly well.

I feel as though people seek high end headphones as a means of compensating their poor gamesense and general situational awareness. I think almost any IEM is good enough to perform well in a competitive game. Even extremely bad sounding headphones that have poor imaging, good players adjust and learn to extract valuable information from the audio they present.

So what I'm saying really, is don't buy these with a mindset that they will make you better at Call of Duty or whatever. They won't, and I don't think any pair of headphones will lead to huge benefits there. If you're buying these I would say their strength in the gaming space are as follows...
  • They're extremely well tuned out of the box, so you don't need to stress about EQing them. Something that's not easily possible on modern consoles. As a result they sound really good for music and games, without having to tweak and tune anything.
  • They have great imaging, so you can easily pick out the direction of sound in a game.
  • They have a good sense of space and soundstage, not great or excellent but good. This helps immerse you into 3D spaces and gives you an impression of the distance of the sound.
  • They have great detail retrieval. Not the best in class but I would say this is still a strength and that helps me enjoy the audio in both music and games
  • They're very efficient. You can use them on any device without an amp. I use them on Switch, PS4, PS5, PC, XBOX Series X through a range of different devices. Everything from plugging them directly into the controller to my PS5 setup through the DAC.
  • They come with a mic. This in itself isn't a big deal but I haven't seen a mic with dual mini-xlr connections before so it's more valuable to say that this mic exists because of this device. The mic is plenty good enough to communicate clearly in-game, but perhaps not worth £100 (link to my mic test)
  • I found they deal with busy gaming scenarios really well, with very good separation. One problem I have with other headphones which often sound too closed and compressed is that I can't play my own soundtrack via something like Apple Music and still catch all of the detail from the game. I can do that with the Audeze LCD GX, I can play something like Battlefield or Apex Legends with a quiet soundtrack in the background and feel like I'm not missing important details from the game. I think this is important as many games play their own soundtracks at times and the LCD GX is good at ensuring nothing is lost in the mix.
If Audeze offer a revision then there are two things that I'd like them to consider...
  • A closed version. While I enjoy the open back presentation and wider soundstage the LCD GX are not super-wide anyway and for in-person events like LANs and tournament settings you can't use these because they let so much sound in. I'm glad the open back version exists and I would still keep mine but I would like an open back version so that I had a choice depending on my environment.
  • A better mic. While I argued that it's great that this mic exists and it's perfectly adequate for playing games, I think at this price point the mic could and should be better. I think this mic is fine for playing games with your friends but if you wanted to use a mic on a stream or something like that then I think you'd still need something better (e.g. a desktop mic or one of the more expensive USB mics from Antlion audio).
Overall I really like them, they have a great sound and they work in every way I might want them to without tweaking, right out of the box. The strike a great balance between convenience and quality sound. Most headphones make you sacrifice one of those. For instance if you want to use an Arya on a games console, then you've got to find a way to incorporate a mic, and you probably want to EQ. That's a huge inconvenience that's not easily solvable if you want to use them with something like a PS5.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #428 of 435
i got a pair of these today after trying to make up my mind about them for the last few months, there is so little information on these out there, and even less actually good reviews.
people just see/hear the "gaming" part and ignore them. i didnt buy these "for" gaming, but they will be used to listen to music and yes to play games with, as i do with all my headphones, i bought these because they were WAY lighter than the LCD2/2c/x and they're made of metal, which is nice. one thing ive not seen anyone mention is the clamping force. im going to have to do something about that as the intense squeeze on my temples hit me with a headache pretty quickly. these do sound pretty darn good though. i think people just need to ignore the Gaming part and have a try of these.
I've not done an A>B with my focal clear pro, or my Arya(se) or my DCA aeon 2 noir yet. but these do definitely have some nice bass.
How did these end up comparing to the other headphones you have? I have a set on the way but have also been eyeing the Noire, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on those.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #430 of 435
How did these end up comparing to the other headphones you have? I have a set on the way but have also been eyeing the Noire, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on those.
i quite enjoy using these, but the noire are just so far ahead of these in every way (except that their closed back and i prefer open back at home). when i am at home i switch between these, my Hifiman arya stealth and my focal clear pro (og) and every now and then my hd6xx and hd58x most of the time im switching headphones its just for something different rather than a specific something that i might be after. if i had to rank my open backs i would probably do it as follows (audio quality over all only)
Arya stealth > focal clear pro > audeze lcd-gx >hd 6xx/hd58x . and for my closed backs, DCA noir > focal radiance > DCA xdrop aeon closed

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #431 of 435
Has anyone been able to compare the GX with the original pads vs. the 2021 revised pads?
Didn't know abot any 2021 revision involved for the GX, as far as I know pads were revised in 2021 for the LCD-X & XC models. In case pads were revised for the GX as well is there any way to know based on the serial number for my unit?

May 7, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #432 of 435
What pads are you guys using? I'm still on the original but they are falling apart very quickly

Attachments

• 20230507_164547.jpg
    20230507_164547.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230507_164537.jpg
    20230507_164537.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 8, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #433 of 435
What pads are you guys using? I'm still on the original but they are falling apart very quickly
I second this request bigtime. My originals are properly mangled, and I've seen some mixed discussion on aftermarket replacements (not to mention people discussing changes to the authentic Audeze replacements as well... I'd be really interested in any opinions people have at all.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #435 of 435
Audeze LCD-GX:

Objective Score (1-10) – 9.25

My Score (1-10) – 9.25

Treble – Perfect, articulate sound that brings out every high frequency detail. (10/10)

Mids – Extremely good mids, slightly muddy at times. (8/10)

Bass – Excellent bass. Maybe could have a slightly tighter profile. (9/10)

Vocals – Outstanding forward-focused vocals. Perfectly produced with zero harshness. (10/10)

Soundstage – Great, almost as wide as the Sennheiser HD 800S. (9.5/10)

Imaging – Excellent. (9/10)

Directional Audio/Gaming – Clear direction at all times. Pinpoint precision. Good distance. Could provide a slightly fuller presence. (9/10)
Build Quality – The headband feels a bit flimsy, but the driver chassis and everything else has great build quality. However, they look goofy when wearing. (7.5/10)
Comfort – Light and extremely comfortable. Can forget they’re even there. (10/10)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back