Announcing HeadRoom's All-New Website
Oct 11, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #91 of 127
I like the new site. It's easier to get around by far, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatBug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mentally block out the Selection Guide and Learning Center areas on the left side of the page because they look exactly like Google ad modules.

/agree

Product Selection Guide | HeadRoom Audio
Learning Center - Products Equipment Reviews Specifications and Support | HeadRoom Audio

I can see a lot of people instantly ignoring whatever is on the left side. Even on your headphones page, some of the things there seem like ad modules. You guys might wanna change the font or something, just, yah. xD

Great job btw!

/first post

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #92 of 127
To me the site makes sense in the way you're promoting it. I think people are missing that you want to reach a broader crowd. Promoting lower end products bring new people to your site. People from here looking to buy products from your site pretty much know what they want and just purchase through you. We do our research here at head-fi so there is no reason for many of us to use your learning center. New people however will browse the site and find that SCs may not be there best choice. If they buy them it's a sale for your company and that is the goal for any business, to sell products. So Tyll, to answer your question, I believe you guys are pointing more broadly.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #93 of 127
The new site looks very slick!

I will miss the old, low key site though... any chance of having it still up and allowing us an option to use that instead?

As for the SC stuff... at the very least you guys are the ones testing them all out and weeding the lower quality ones out. I do not envy the guys having to listen to some of their models.

What fascinates me more is your selection of Monster products. I'm sure they must be good, but given their typical MO with cables I would have thought the value rating would be far lower than what you've given.

Now if you ever started stocking Bose products on the other hand...
mad.gif

EDIT: I agree with the others that the selection guide seems too much like Google's Adsense to be noticeable. I didn't even really register that they weren't ads until I read this thread.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #94 of 127
My opinions on the site design now.

I agree with everyone. The older site did have a much more professional site, and I liked it because it was simple and easy to navigate through. I find the new site to be over complicated and cluttered. I like the pop out images for the products and the product selection but it needs to be cleaned up.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #95 of 127
The site design is better for navigation, but I think the combination of greens is revolting, sorry.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #96 of 127
I agree with the comment about the left sidebar looking like Google ads. It also seems like the site is not using enough screen real estate (i.e., it seems narrow). And I really dislike the pictures of the people wearing the headphones.

I continue to love the job you guys do with your product shots. I think it would be great if you started incorporating a 3D view of the products, especially headphones.

There are a lot of categories, which can be helpful, but I always like to have a "See All" option, especially for the headphones.

"Adaptors" should be "Adapters".

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #98 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree, on my high resolution screen the website appears very narrow.

True. But not everyone has 24" monitors. It's just about perfect on 1024x768. Give it a try.

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #99 of 127
There's a school of thought that web sites should be a fixed width of 1005 pixels, that's very likely why the site is narrow.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #100 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlwpdl2009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. But not everyone has 24" monitors. It's just about perfect on 1024x768. Give it a try.

Seriously? The world's moved on since 1995. For the record, I have a 17" monitor.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #101 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? The world's moved on since 1995. For the record, I have a 17" monitor.

Yup. I get what you're saying. I have two 24" monitors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a school of thought that web sites should be a fixed width of 1005 pixels, that's very likely why the site is narrow.

/agree

He's probably correct.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #103 of 127
Hey Steaxauce-

The build-a-graph tool is working... sort of. You actually have to do the comparison in the pop-up window from a product page.

Less than ideal-- hopefully we'll get the info back on our "Build A Graph" tool page soon. Matt our totally awesome IT guy has managed to get himself quite ill due to weeks of sleepless nights... so bear w/ us.
L3000.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #104 of 127
Hey All-

Okay, another quick note here from HeadRoom saying a big THANKS for all of your comments. I wanted to address a few things mentioned here:

- Look & Feel... for the most part, it seems like you guys think the design of the site is alright. We do agree w/ you on the appearance of the left column articles looking like Google Ads- there is a crazy similarity! I am hoping we'll be able to adjust those a bit fairly soon. I have to say that internally, the look of the site has all grown on us quite a lot, I personally thought a bit more 'conservative' look may have been better at first, but since then I really think it's pleasing to almost everyone who sees it. Most people especially like the green! but to each his own.
happy_face1.gif

Navigability: For anyone who has concerns about navigation -- we think/hope you'll find it to be a lot smoother after a few days use. It always takes a while to get used to something new; but it's way better than the previous (when we updated our homepage in March, some nav was hacked in there, which created some problems. Some of you may have noticed that accessories & cables were tough to navigate). As time goes on, we'll get more product sorting & limiters installed, which will enhance nav even further.

Skullcandy! We knew that was bound to cause some stir! First I must say that we need to take a good hard look at our value ratings. We are thinking about moving to a multiple-rating system-- that way we could have an 'absolute' sound quality rating, in addition to another rating(s) that address things like price, style, fit, build, etc.
I believe Skullcandy is a good fit for HeadRoom, because it opens up the door to another huge group of people (the vast majority of them are younger <18) who will hopefully come to HeadRoom and learn about better sound. We want to become their partner & friend in their audio careers... they may buy a pair of Sk's when they're 14, because that's what all their friends have, but chances are that a few years down the road they'll want something else, and will think of us when they look for that "something better". Now of course, not all will do so, and of course there are (a few) fourteen year old audiophiles out there, but let's face it, for many many young people, sound quality is not their first criteria. And, we have more than one story of 13 year olds A/Bing a pair of cool Sk's and another pair of (clearly better sounding) cans, and they prefer Sk's! Let's keep in mind that the file quality is probably the biggest limiting factor in SQ anyway -- so yeah, they want a pair of plaid headphones! The point is to get them into headphones, into loving headphones, and the quality thing will follow.

So, to re-cap:
It comes back to the brand: "Get It Right Between Your Ears" It doesn't say -- "Get-Only-The-Best-Sound-According-to-HeadRoom Right Between Your Ears." We want to make people happy with the products and services they want. We're going to continue carefully evaluating headphones for SQ- recommending the best sounding brands, carefully evaluating & testing headphones, and making kick-ass headphone amps & DACs. But we also need to recognize that there are also folks who just want, say, a headphone for working out, and they're listening to podcasts, and maybe SQ isn't their primary concern. That doesn't mean it's not "right between their ears" for them.

All that said... we've got a looooonng way to go. This transition time is perhaps one of the toughest balances to strike right now. So, once again, thanks guys and gals, for your patience, your patronage, and all of your time and energy to relaying your comments. This is actually very helpful for me to relay some of the sentiments of our "base" as I work w/ multiple consultants, our new CEO Travis, who is doing a great job, and everyone else who's been involved in this project. So, keep 'em coming!
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #105 of 127
seriously speaking, this new web interface is better then the old one, easy to get around with browsing, and the category of each equipment is neater.
for example the amp section is much more neater and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back