Announcement: The Edition 6 is Dead
Mar 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #106 of 314
Guys know that I was critical of Fang...but he did explained that he recognizes certain QC issue by the contract manufacturers which he tried hard to fix. He wanted to engage more with his customers/fans so he can properly introduce and explain away the technology and merit of his products and he also know that he is short stuffed when it comes to customer services. Maybe its his Asian background? but he will need to recognise the expectation from a global market

Knowing and admitting your problem is the first step towards solving it...maybe due to language, he was able to answer and explain to me some of my critical points. Wished I have another hour with him because I still have so many unanswered questions for him lol

But what i still don't agree with him are the price vs build quality discrepancies. Wished the asking price are more reasonable so his products will be able to reach more users, which will benefit him as well as end users in general

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #107 of 314
If I could offer advice to them it would be that selling headphones that don't work with a regular headphone amp and need a speaker amp is going to limit sales.
Stax can do it because stat phones have a long established history and an embedded base of stat amps. (And Stax is basically a monopoly for stat phones.)
Hifiman's R&D is first rate and they would be better off concentrating on regular planars like Audeze.

If anything, make the HE1000 more robust physically like the Focals and Sonys. (And of course tweak the performance, but that is already great in my book, but there is always room for improvement.)

I think the HE1000 is the best planar out there at the moment and they should keep on track with that. That's sort of what Audeze has done with the LCD2/3/4 trajectory.
Hifiman has a top-of-the-heap headphone that is light as a feather. This is a major accomplishment so I am grateful and want them to succeed.

Even if I was willing to pay 6K, I can't deal with making it my only headphone or shoehorning in another amp.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #108 of 314

RE2K is a single BA, and the housing is milled from a single piece of brass/copper (I can't exactly recall) which explains the slight heft but very high quality shell, with detachable MMCX cable connectors

The (sligtly) larger housing could be by design and for tuning purposes but whatever...this is one very nice sounding iem however you cut it. Pity about the asking price which is higher than what many including me, are willing to pay (you're hearing me DITA?)

i thought it was single dynamic driver

No you're right. I auditioned so many iem/headphones/combos...excused me for getting these all confused :astonished:

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #109 of 314
  If I could offer advice to them it would be that selling headphones that don't work with a regular headphone amp and need a speaker amp is going to limit sales.
Stax can do it because stat phones have a long established history and an embedded base of stat amps. (And Stax is basically a monopoly for stat phones.)
Hifiman's R&D is first rate and they would be better off concentrating on regular planars like Audeze.

If anything, make the HE1000 more robust physically like the Focals and Sonys. (And of course tweak the performance, but that is already great in my book, but there is always room for improvement.)

I think the HE1000 is the best planar out there at the moment and they should keep on track with that. That's sort of what Audeze has done with the LCD2/3/4 trajectory.
Hifiman has a top-of-the-heap headphone that is light as a feather. This is a major accomplishment so I am grateful and want them to succeed.

Even if I was willing to pay 6K, I can't deal with making it my only headphone or shoehorning in another amp.

Hmm, weather or not you NEED a speaker amp is up for debate I think.  A couple of years ago everyone was saying you really need a speaker amp to power the Abyss to it's potential and here I am using mine with a DAP and it sounds mighty fine.  

If you are consuming 0.1w to power your headphones at a sensible volume and your headphone amp has 4w of headroom, would having a speaker amp with 50w of headroom sound much better?

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #110 of 314
  Hmm, weather or not you NEED a speaker amp is up for debate I think.  A couple of years ago everyone was saying you really need a speaker amp to power the Abyss to it's potential and here I am using mine with a DAP and it sounds mighty fine.  

If you are consuming 0.1w to power your headphones at a sensible volume and your headphone amp has 4w of headroom, would having a speaker amp with 50w of headroom sound much better?

speaker amps are rated at 8 Ohm, if you ve a 50 Ohm driver, you would need a 300W+ @ 8 Ohm speaker amp for a ~50W headroom, that's why amps of 30-50W @ 8 Ohm are quite desirable, if not a must have, to get the full potential out of such low efficiency phones,

idk about the abyss, but i couldn't get the he6 to run at half potential from the head amps i had (soloist and v200 among them), i always used my speakers amps (30-80W @ 8 Ohm)

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #111 of 314
Yep, my HE6 could get loud enough, but it was too fatiguing on vocals for me. The highs were too strong. I used 2 separate headphone amps and digital sources. I was told here when I asked for advice that I really needed a speaker amp, but that was too much trouble so I sold it (and found happiness for quite a while with an HE500).

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #112 of 314
I've tried most TOTL headphones and HE-6 still stands king for me. I've had to build a full setup around it, which I don't mind. I'd rather have one best sounding setup than 5 mediocre ones. I hope that HFM comes back to their senses and prices this right, and this can finally be the successor to the HE-6. Price will make or break these headphones. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #113 of 314
The HE-6 has poor treble if underpowered.

I run mine off a vintage Onkyo with a hefty power supply and 110/w per channel. The bass is a sledgehammer compared to the HEK which is like being whipped with wet lettuce.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #114 of 314
The HE-6 has poor treble if underpowered.

I run mine off a vintage Onkyo with a hefty power supply and 110/w per channel. The bass is a sledgehammer compared to the HEK which is like being whipped with wet lettuce.

Are you using a TX-8500? Looking at getting one right now...currently driving my HE-6  from the taps of a 55wpc Sansui,and yeah the bass is slammin....

I tried to talk to Fang @ Canjam NYC and it was hard due to language barriers...he didnt come off as a jerk to me,but damn his business practices say otherwise.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #116 of 314

According to a few who have auditioned both the Shangri-La and Edition 6 / SUSVARA, their feedback mostly lean towards ED6 rather than SL. Personally I did not get to hear the ED6 as one of the driver was blown on the 2nd day.

I'm with you. I liked the SVR more than SL, and I liked the RE2K quite a bit too.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #117 of 314
SVR :p we are already at this... i see... susvara susy vara ssvr svr sr sv s $, i like $, the Hifiman $... Hifiman $6k... why? because it costs sixthou... ahem... sounds good

btw, just poped to me, they are lunching the sus and sha together, this is quite brave, ppl already reporting they like the sus more :p so they can't possibly make the sus the best they can, and then the sha even better, but if it turns out not, who are they gonna sell it to?

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #119 of 314

to "HiFiDollar" ?

Excellent choice of signature my friend 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back