Announcement: The Edition 6 is Dead
Mar 19, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #121 of 314
do you remember the good old times? when the best, and imo still the best (he6, hd800, lcd2 v2), headphones in the world were very expensive?

@JaZZ well this my be it, the reason why the he6 is inefficient, and i guess the Susy too, it has almost nano grade membrane, and the conductive coating is also very very thin and made of gold, which means low mass and low conductivity makes it difficult to 'move a lot of air',

i guess the later, more efficient phones they made, all had ticker/wider conductive coating or perhaps even tick traces, thus being more efficient but also heavier,

but now, it would seem, they went back to the super low mass, low conductivity design to boost performance while sacrificing efficiency,

or maybe not :p @TeamHiFiMAN @Nankai what do u think? :p

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #122 of 314
  do you remember the good old times? when the best, and imo still the best (he6, hd800, lcd2 v2), headphones in the world were very expensive?

@JaZZ well this my be it, the reason why the he6 is inefficient, and i guess the Susy too, it has almost nano grade membrane, and the conductive coating is also very very thin and made of gold, which means low mass and low conductivity makes it difficult to 'move a lot of air',

i guess the later, more efficient phones they made, all had ticker/wider conductive coating or perhaps even tick traces, thus being more efficient but also heavier,

but now, it would seem, they went back to the super low mass, low conductivity design to boost performance while sacrificing efficiency,

or maybe not :p @TeamHiFiMAN @Nankai what do u think? :p

You may indeed be onto something. Above video clip could just as well relate to the HE1000, though – I think its membrane is even thinner than that of the good old HE-6. But when it comes to the conductive foil, it's hard to tell, certainly it's aluminum, not gold. The use of gold would indeed reduce conductivity, hence efficiency. On the other hand, I can't see why gold should improve the sound compared to aluminum. The positive effect of a thinner and lighter foil would be more plausible, it would also lead to reduced efficiency. Somehow I have discarded a reduced thickness of the conductor traces in the Susvara because it doesn't look like the whole conductor path is any shorter than the HE1000's, but after all 60 ohms is almost double the impedance of the HE1000, so it's absolutely possible nonetheless.

I have built planar magnetic speaker drivers myself, so I know that the thickness of the conductor traces, also in relation to the thickness of the carrier foil, has an enormous effect on the sound. In my case the thinner aluminum foil sounded worse, though.
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #124 of 314
Even 4k would be stretching it—LCD4 and Utopia both have much smaller amplifier requirements. Ragnarok is the cheapest I'd consider going, but HE-6 snobs tend to sniff at that in displeasure.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #125 of 314
you know what the worst part is? they are trying so hard to look good, but it's so easy to look through them and see the inconsistency and discrepancies between what they wanna look like and what they really look like, it's just sad, sorry but it is:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/840656/2017-european-product-design-awards-he1000-gets-silver

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #126 of 314
  you know what the worst part is? they are trying so hard to look good, but it's so easy to look through them and see the inconsistency and discrepancies between what they wanna look like and what they really look like, it's just sad, sorry but it is:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/840656/2017-european-product-design-awards-he1000-gets-silver

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #127 of 314
  Even 4k would be stretching it—LCD4 and Utopia both have much smaller amplifier requirements. Ragnarok is the cheapest I'd consider going, but HE-6 snobs tend to sniff at that in displeasure.

Yep, they're very specific - the only amp you're allowed to use is the Old Stereo Receiver by Vintage.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #129 of 314

Yep, they're very specific - the only amp you're allowed to use is the Old Stereo Receiver by Vintage.

Krell is considered first among equals. First Watt is also acceptable. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #130 of 314
6K?   Nuckin Futs!

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #132 of 314

6K?   Nuckin Futs!

it's barely over 1/10th the price of the orpheus so it's actually a really good value!

that is a good point... oh wait... they actually had that already covered, well, close enough, just a little shy at $50k http://www.head-fi.org/t/834818/new-hifiman-shangri-la-headphones-amplifier-system

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #133 of 314
  SVR :p we are already at this... i see... susvara susy vara ssvr svr sr sv s $, i like $, the Hifiman $... Hifiman $6k... why? because it costs sixthou... ahem... sounds good

btw, just poped to me, they are lunching the sus and sha together, this is quite brave, ppl already reporting they like the sus more :p so they can't possibly make the sus the best they can, and then the sha even better, but if it turns out not, who are they gonna sell it to?

They better hope sus doesn't catch on. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sus

"The word Sus is meant to suggest that someone is believed to be shady or false. They are hiding something or are believed to have a serious character flaw which makes them undesirable as a friend or acquaintance. It is derived from its root word Suspect. ..."

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #134 of 314
Do the people that have heard it, think it's the best headphone on the market though?

Just clicked that it's $6k USD which means it will probably sell here for $9k Aussie. Yeah that's pretty bad.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #135 of 314
Some say its the best headphone under $10K :open_mouth:...in fact its preferable over their $50K Shangri-La

Whether i will actually pull out my credit card for one of these at full retail is another highly debatable topic altogether :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back