Anime?
Aug 14, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 55
God that one line in the OP is like, "Hey I'm cool and I don't listen to My Chemical Romance or Fallout Boy because they make a lot of money and likewise have no idea what they're doing" I mean come on, who's job is it to claim whether or not shows like Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist are "sell-out" shows? How can you know that all the show creators care about is profit? Now I don't really watch Full Metal Alchemist and have never seen an episode of Naruto before but what makes them so "commercial" that shows like Bebop or Ghost in the Shell don't exhibit? It just grinds my gears when people jump to conclusions like that, especially when making accusations.

Anyway I did enjoy Samurai Champloo very much and it seems to be a well-liked show, you should probably check it out.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 55
I think the OP just doesn't like the Shonen genre.
smily_headphones1.gif

Most of the stuff he likes is aimed at a slightly older audience.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 55
yeah shonen is usually not my thing in the long run, but i actually like the early pokemo, bleach, agelic layer, etc. it just always seems to turn to repetitive semi-sinspired drudgery after several seasons.

even Stand Alone complex - the second season, IMO, is not quite up to snuff with the first.

this is the reason i dislike what i call commercial anime(or any media for that matter): it will try to go on as long as possible simply because it makes so much money for the industry it belongs to that the industry cannot afford for it to stop. to me, this means that alot of shows will keep going after they have lost their flame. they become un-original, derivative. its not to say thogh, that all commercial products are crap. there is alot of stuff that makes alot of money and sells very well simply because it actually IS that good.

i mean look at alot of the work production IG does. GitS, Blood, jin roh...

"who's job is it to claim whether or not shows like Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist are "sell-out" shows?"

dude, who do you think is going to do it? it s OUR job to not buy and prolong what WE dont like. in a free economy the only person with any choice over what sells and doesn't sell is the consumer. that said - if people like naruto or fall out boy, by all means buy, buy, buy. (obviously alot DO like them).

Carl: so do you think then, that the anime industry is actually becoming more creative? i didn't really know that much history.

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 55
Shoujo Kakumei Utena: crazy, crazy series (not as crazy as FLCL, of course, but still)

Ouran High School Host Club: can't stop laughing with this

Tsubasa Chronicle: For some reason i couldn't get into it when watching it with friends, but i got hooked when watching it alone.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mochimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carl: so do you think then, that the anime industry is actually becoming more creative? i didn't really know that much history.

Sure. There will always be derivative works in any form of popular culture, so it's not something you can escape, but the quality of the shows in general is definately increasing.

The creative staff of anime are generally young and passionate rather than old and wise (even directors get paid s*** wages), so a certain degree of roughness is to be expected. I find it very rewarding when they get it right, almost like a sense of paternal pride when your screw up kid does well or something.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

"who's job is it to claim whether or not shows like Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist are "sell-out" shows?"

dude, who do you think is going to do it? it s OUR job to not buy and prolong what WE dont like. in a free economy the only person with any choice over what sells and doesn't sell is the consumer. that said - if people like naruto or fall out boy, by all means buy, buy, buy. (obviously alot DO like them).

It is not our job to decide who is selling out and who isn't. It's our job to like and dislike, to buy and not buy. Just because you don't like a certain anime doesn't mean it's a sellout.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #22 of 55
I'm a fan of Samurai Deeper Kyo, Evangelion, Robotech, and Macross.

The new Devil May Cry series is pretty decent too.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a fan of Samurai Deeper Kyo, Evangelion, Robotech, and Macross.

The new Devil May Cry series is pretty decent too.

I don't know if it's just me but Devil May Cry can't hold me. I love the animation, and I like the raws released in 1920x1080 hd, but the lack of continuity from episode to episode makes me want to watch it less and less every week.

The next season of Haruhi Suzumiya though I'm really looking forward to.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not our job to decide who is selling out and who isn't. It's our job to like and dislike, to buy and not buy. Just because you don't like a certain anime doesn't mean it's a sellout.

did i say it is our job to decide whos a sell out? of course we decide what sells based on our likes and dislikes. im simply saying that i dont like certain products because IMO they are not out there for any reason other than to move capital, and personally i dont buy thinks just to spend money.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

and personally i dont buy thinks just to spend money.

No one's forcing you to. If people can make money, they will make money, such is the way with adults.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #27 of 55
I loved Trigun and Cowboy Bebop

I watched Naruto and One Piece for a while.. then my mate stopped getting the anime so i stopped watching

Death Note and Bleach were good as well

And then of course, most of Studio Ghibli's creations.. TOTORO!!

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #28 of 55
I don't like anime series so much, I either read mangas or watch anime movies. Here are some recommendations for nice anime movies with a more mature theme than Naruto etc..:

Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue
Only Yesterday
Millennium Actress
Metropolis
Pom Poko
Shinchan (This kid is hillarious moreso in the mangas)
Porco Rosso

For more action: Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Kenshin/Samurai X OVAs to name a few.
Most of the movies are easy to find and have been released internationally.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

the most intriguing thing to me about animated films is the world they create and the sense of existing in that world

Twelve Kingdoms
Berserk
Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

did i say it is our job to decide whos a sell out?

Yes.

Quote:

what i DONT like is the extremely commercial stuff like naruto, ful metal alchemist, etc.

Quote:

dude, who do you think is going to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back