Anew U1 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #76 of 89
I don't think much of clavenetjunkie's reviewing style - and the comparison demo is meaningless. You can't learn anything about a headphone by listening to a recording of it, through some other headphone connected to your computer. If you really want to know what a unit sounds like you have to stick it in your ears. No other way. However, his measurements indicate a spike in the presence region (he puts it around 5k) which does correspond to my subjective impression. Haven't seen any other graphs for the U1, but I will be curious to see if that is confirmed in other measurements. If measurements show it is there, that is presumably a deliberate tuning choice by the manufacturer - but a risky one. It can enhance vocal clarity and detail, but human hearing is super-sensitive in this range and it's easy to overcook it. Of course whether this is a flaw or a feature depends on your sonic preferences. Have to experiment with EQ to see whether it can be toned back a little.

From my experience with lots of currently sold IEMs - most of them having elevated upper mids to bring more emotional and engaging sound. Some have more evident effect and some are not. It seems that I am not very sensitive cause I don't want to change anything in the sound of U1. But I would for some other IEMs... I've tried to take a graph but my mic is having more influence than it should - most of the IEMs show the same graph with it. So, I have to think of buying some special microphone with specified FR to subtract it from the IEMs grap.

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #77 of 89
The Anew u1 is quite the V, especially ABing with the it01, i got the Shure se846 recently too and it definitely make the u1 sound recessed, while having more sub bass.

I will try and AB the u1 with my Xelento and xba-z5 to see how they compare, and from memory the Xelento and Z5 aren’t that recessed.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #79 of 89
hi all, is Anew U1 still a good buy? is that issue with recessed mids isolated? I am also considering iBasso IT01, but it seems to be plagued with quality issues (mmcx connectors). thanks!

Yes, still good to buy. There is black verison at PenonAudio as well. Good IEMs despite some people are complaining about upper mids. I don't hear the problem in this section...

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #82 of 89
Yep, good review. I share your thoughts and opinion... Still consider those to be very good IEMs despite testing lots of others since the time I've got Anew U1.

Thanks.
Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised. I didn't think they were at that level. The only one but, for my taste, is his V-profile, I like more presence of voices. But I love his bass.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #83 of 89
Yes, still good to buy. There is black verison at PenonAudio as well. Good IEMs despite some people are complaining about upper mids. I don't hear the problem in this section...
How you look U1 against Oxygen specially in vocals and soundstage (weidt/depth/height) comparison ,?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #85 of 89
Oxygen IEMs are resolving more details, bass has better separation and boundaries, mids are more gentle and linear. Treble sound quite similar. Depth and weight of vocals is more rich. And the stage is larger.
Nice , hmmm so the Oxygen deserve the asking price (almost double the price of U1)

May 14, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #86 of 89
My Black limited edition Anew U1 with ISN Audio C16, one of the best single dynamic driver IEM i have tried so far.
7.jpg

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #88 of 89
My Black limited edition Anew U1 with ISN Audio C16, one of the best single dynamic driver IEM i have tried so far.
7.jpg
Luckily enough just now got U1 and at first listen last night was pleasantly surprised. These are gems for sure.........Spectacular bass response, best single DD ever bought for me as well......................

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #89 of 89
Early Impression: The bass is punchy with great impact. Bass decay is quick. The midrange takes on a lively approach. Female vocals are presented with vibrancy. Treble extension is good with an airy feeling. Soundstage has moderate width and depth.

Anew U1 Review
Was kindly motivated by Chi (Penon Audio) to write a few things here..... So....
Got Anew U1 just yesterday and i have to say I really should have bought them 2 years ago.. That's what I realized immediately right after the very first listen... very lively sound with spectacular/amazing solid bass response , might be the best single DD iem i ve ever bought till now..........very happy with their performance............
Definitely they do benefit from amping and show easily/effortlessly their true potential
It's a bombastic big sound musical/engaging presentation V shaped fun sound signature.... Or in other words.. A sibling to ISN H40s sound pallet.......
If anybody owns and likes H40 will definitely love these as well.. no doubt about it...
Midrange is clear and weighty as well (something not easy to be achieved)
Midrange and vocals in particular have bones and flesh but not in the cost of transparency or detail retrieval
Treble is expanded naturally, full of energy but never harsh or artificial feeling ....
Very natural sound in conclusion with a very noticeable dominating bass response but in the best way you can imagine never overshadowing or bleeding into the mids with tremendous slam and exceptional texture.
I would call it a bass head audiophile dream maybe...... And that's only for being one of the best bass response iems (in quality and quantity as well) I have ever heard. The absolute first is (till now of course) H40.
The one and only issue with U1 (minor downside) would be driver flex which can be fixed partially using the right tips
For me Symbio Mandarin silicone/foam tips work just fine

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_214011.jpg
    IMG_20210908_214011.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210908_214714.jpg
    IMG_20210908_214714.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210908_214206.jpg
    IMG_20210908_214206.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: