Android: Neutron Music Player
Feb 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #76 of 1,374
Thinking of reinstalling, have a rooted droid maxx, would that make a difference in Neutron's sound/UI? 

Rooting by itself won't change Neutron's sound not speaking of UI. But if thanks to being rooted you install custom ROM or custom Linux kernel with audio specific patches (like Voodoo) sound may (or may not) change. This would apply not just to Neutron but to any other player as well. Neutron's atrocious UI I'm afraid can be cured only by developers or by somebody hacking out Neutron's rendering engine and sticking it into some new UI. Rooting has nothing to do with it.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #80 of 1,374
I just figured out the hiss I've been complaining about using IEMs on my S3 was caused by NeutronMP (also downloaded the trial version of PowerAmp, no hiss there). Anybody know how to get rid of it? The best I got was switching off crossfeed (which is why I'm using NMP to begin with), but there's still some of it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #81 of 1,374
I installed this on my Sony Xperia Ray and I found it to be a better sounding player than PowerAmp.
Unfortunately, the stock player on the Xperia still sounds better to me...

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #82 of 1,374
For anyone using the EQ in Neutron,

In EQ settings I find increasing the octave widths to around 60-70% in the two mid bands makes a huge difference to the EQ's 2 mid bands effectiveness, it makes my TF10's sound like a completely different earphone with 'in your face' vocals.

On the down side it does bring some distortion with it but it still works very well with some tracks. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #83 of 1,374
I used to love Neutron, but have stopped using it since I got I9300. Prefer Poweramp. Part is equalizer doesn't quite give me what I need for RE0s. Also, have a lot of static pops and noise with it, which occur with no other player. Have reinstalled multiple times, and finally gave up. And I don't notice as much difference between the two as on earlier phone.

Only thing I changed on the phone was increased the headphone volume.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #84 of 1,374
I used to love Neutron, but have stopped using it since I got I9300. Prefer Poweramp. Part is equalizer doesn't quite give me what I need for RE0s. Also, have a lot of static pops and noise with it, which occur with no other player. Have reinstalled multiple times, and finally gave up. And I don't notice as much difference between the two as on earlier phone.

Only thing I changed on the phone was increased the headphone volume.

I use an s3 also and I find it much better than power amp on my vsonic gr07 be. The equalizer is more versatile but it takes some time to get used to it.
Some months ago I tried it with the dba02 and got some nasty pops. I tried to change settings and reinstall to no avail. So I thought that it would just not work with that particular iem. Recently however i tried it again with a friends dba02 and it worked flawlessly. The only two upgrades I can think of that made a difference is that I switched my custom kernel to boeffla kernel and I installed a newer version of Neutron.
Try what i did and it may help.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #87 of 1,374
I'm using a Galaxy S Captivate with Voodoo Sound.  I've enabled (Anti-jitter, Hi-fi play, and DAC direct).  I'm also coupling this with a Fiio E11.  Poweramp and Neutron sound very similar in flat EQ.   Can someone compare poweramp and neutron both on flat eq in terms of sound quality in clarity and instrument separation and be specific?

May 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #88 of 1,374
Hi all. This my first post, I just joined this phenomenal community.

I've been using Neutron for almost 1.5 years on many Android device and recently also on BB10. I came across it by searching the Play Store for "parametric equalizer" and I truly think this is where Neutron really shines. I also purchased Poweramp and it was my main player until I found Neutron. I haven't really used Poweramp since, I just can't get it to sound the way Neutron does. I don't really Use Neutron without eq, I always liked to have the music sound different,I have the eq set with 80, 300, 6000, 8000 Hz bands and I also played with the Q slopes a bit especially on the high ones. This works for me with any kind of music, from rock to classical...

I found that the eq settings get saved in an xml file on the mass storage under Android/Apps/Neotronmp in case you want to back them up/share/port to other devices.

Cheers,

Romanas.

May 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #89 of 1,374
Hi all. This my first post, I just joined this phenomenal community.

I've been using Neutron for almost 1.5 years on many Android devices and recently also on BB10. I came across it by searching the Play Store for "parametric equalizer" and I truly think this is where Neutron really shines. I also purchased Poweramp and it was my main player until I found Neutron, I haven't really used it since, I just can't get it to sound the way Neutron does. I don't really use Neutron without eq, I always liked to have the music sound different. So I have the eq set with 80, 300, 6000, 8000 Hz bands and I also played with the Q slopes a bit especially on the high ones. This works for me with any kind of music, from rock to classical...

I found that the eq settings get saved in an xml file on the mass storage under Android/Apps/Neotronmp in case you want to back them up/share/port to other devices.

Another nice thing about Neutron is that it allows you to have multiple custom eq presets and even bind them with albums, playlists...

Cheers,

Romanas.

May 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #90 of 1,374
Thinking of reinstalling, have a rooted droid maxx, would that make a difference in Neutron's sound/UI? 

Rooting by itself won't change Neutron's sound not speaking of UI. But if thanks to being rooted you install custom ROM or custom Linux kernel with audio specific patches (like Voodoo) sound may (or may not) change. This would apply not just to Neutron but to any other player as well. Neutron's atrocious UI I'm afraid can be cured only by developers or by somebody hacking out Neutron's rendering engine and sticking it into some new UI. Rooting has nothing to do with it.

I know rooting won't change sq, was just describing the phone. Got disgusted with Neutron, tried living with the stock RAZR player... Does anyone else think it sounds AWFUL? Had to reinstall Neutron, definitely better sq.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back