Android: Neutron Music Player
Dec 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #46 of 1,374
The thing with power amp is that it sounds horrible without eq.
Neutron sounds great with all settings disabled. Once you add 64 bit processing, dithering, audiophile resampling and audio focus-even while keeping eq disabled it sounds even better.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #47 of 1,374
N7 Player ... now that's a kewl interface!

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #49 of 1,374

i've been using poweramp until the other day when i read about neutron and decided to try it. I was sort of undecided as to whether or not i liked my galaxy tab 2 7.0 in regards to the sound signature i was getting out of it.. i had spent lots and LOTS of time with that eq trying to get everything where i liked it. but still something didn't seem right.

patiently waiting for voodoo sound to be released on ics. i did a little search for a poweramp alternative for the meantime to see if i could find an improvement because i was not entirely happy with the sound and even considering a cowon or other android that supports voodoo.

this thing was a surprise gift... all i ever use it for is flac music. if i had been consulted first i would have went for something that fits in my pocket. if i couldn't get the sound i wanted out of this just big enough to be a pain in the ass device, then i would've traded down with minimal regret. im a concentrated quality over bells and whistles kind of guy.

enter neutron... i was blown away from the very first listen. just as someone posted earlier in this hread i immediately noticed clarity and separation that was not present with poweramp.

i did end up tweaking the eq a bit.. which at first i found to be a bit odd having only 4 "bands" to adjust. yet at the same time i was kind of relieved. poweramp almost has too much adjustment for me. im so undecided on exactly how i want all of those frequencies even though i do have a good idea on what does what and what sound curve i like. i just copuldn't seem to find it with poweramp. with neutron all i needed was the 4 bands.

so i started by turning up the 250 hz (bass) because i like the stuff. and thats when i noticed possibly the coolest feature about the thing. once you turn the bass up so much that it starts clipping. neutron automatically brings down the preamp until the clipping stops. essentially it tells you exactly where you're overdoing it.

i felt compelled to jump on the internet and tell somebody how awesome neutron is from a casual audiophile's perspective.

listening on atrio x iems. nothing special but they're not terrible either. im finally at the point where my source outclasses my phones by a little bit.

it sounds better than a sansa anyway.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #50 of 1,374
Neutron goes boom on my Cowon D3.  Android OS v2.3.  Hoped for the best, but that's the deal.

-steve

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #51 of 1,374
Hi, New member here.

May I know how to STOP and EXIT Neutron Music Player from S3?

Cannot find it and always need to go to Setting - App manager - Running - Stop it manually ....

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #52 of 1,374
Kayap

Like most android apps, you don't necessarily need to exit it per se. Android basically kills apps as memory is needed.
Neutron will use zero to minimal battery while it is a cached background activity. You will actually be using more battery by constantly opening and exiting it.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #53 of 1,374
Quote:
Neutron goes boom on my Cowon D3.  Android OS v2.3.  Hoped for the best, but that's the deal.

Thought I'd re-visit this as I just saw the following on Neutron's website:

It is not easy or another 'pop' music player, it is developed for the audiophiles and those who really in love with music. Recommended for use with Hi-Fi/High-End audio hardware.
Android v.2.1 (Eclair) and higher, BlackBerry PlayBook 2.0.1 and higher.

If there is a representative for Neutron here monitoring this thread...

When I tried this player it always exited with an exception immediately and I could never start it up.  Hoping still to be able to try it.

While yes, I'll give you "Cowon" products are "consumer grade" and not some esoteric $800 device.  This player is however a specialty device that utilizes a decent Wolfrom combo DAC+System-on-a-chip, and has coax S/PDIF out and provides exceptional sound without need to be categorized as a "audiophile device"; it is most definitely at minimum a "very Hi-Fi" device.  ....and it uses Android v.2.3+ so is above the requirement.  I believe from all that, I [myself], and this Cowon D3 music player, would be what you target to be "your customer". 

So with all that said... I don't know if your development team can get Neutron running on a D3 without owning one. If I can help in any way by say, running a version with debugging enabled and I can send you the dump or debug info printed out, let me know and I will.  If however your team gets this music player operational on the D3 in whatever way they do, please drop me a PM or post a note here.  I'd love to give it a try again.

Best regards,
-steve

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #54 of 1,374
Quote:

It is not easy or another 'pop' music player, it is developed for the audiophiles and those who really in love with music. Recommended for use with Hi-Fi/High-End audio hardware.

When I tried this player it always exited with an exception immediately and I could never start it up.  Hoping still to be able to try it.

While yes, I'll give you "Cowon" products are "consumer grade" and not some esoteric $800 device.  This player is however a specialty device that utilizes a decent Wolfrom combo DAC+System-on-a-chip, and has coax S/PDIF out and provides exceptional sound without need to be categorized as a "audiophile device"; it is most definitely at minimum a "very Hi-Fi" device.  ....and it uses Android v.2.3+ so is above the requirement.  I believe from all that, I [myself], and this Cowon D3 music player, would be what you target to be "your customer". 

So with all that said... I don't know if your development team can get Neutron running on a D3 without owning one. If I can help in any way by say, running a version with debugging enabled and I can send you the dump or debug info printed out, let me know and I will.  If however your team gets this music player operational on the D3 in whatever way they do, please drop me a PM or post a note here.  I'd love to give it a try again.

Best regards,
-steve

As good as the D3 sounds, by all accounts,  I'm guessing the reason it can't handle Neutron can be traced under the skin....
The D3 basically runs on hardware from 2009 – that was aeons ago, counting in computer years. The CPU is a single core Telechips TCC8900, ARM11/ARMv6 with VFP, clocked at a maximum speed of 720MHz, with a measly 173MB of available RAM. The GPU is an equally old ARM Mali-200.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #55 of 1,374
Yes.

As a Galaxy Note 2 user (1.6 quadcore exynos), When I turn on dithering, 64bit processing, and other options on Neutron player, CPU usage goes up to 20~30% only from the neutron player which makes sense....And I heard someone who is using Galaxy S2 saying when he is running Neutron Player with those settings, CPU usage goes up to 40~50%....

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #56 of 1,374
Quote:

Best regards,
-steve

If all else fails and you must have neutron, you could always wait for the samsung galaxy s4 or note 3 and then pair it with an apex glacier, etc. through otg usb. Now that would be a killer rig.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #57 of 1,374

Best regards,
-steve

I don't think they have a representative here but you can post on their forum :

http://neutronmp.com/neutronforum.html

The developers respond promptly.
But chances are your gear falls below minimum specs.
If there is a way for you to go to settings, lower resampling rate.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #58 of 1,374
Quote:
Kayap

Like most android apps, you don't necessarily need to exit it per se. Android basically kills apps as memory is needed.
Neutron will use zero to minimal battery while it is a cached background activity. You will actually be using more battery by constantly opening and exiting it.

Thanks for the answer.

So I just need to pause or stop the song, then press the home button to back to home screen (just leave it at background)?

(sorry for noob question. Newbie in Android n Neutron)

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #59 of 1,374
Quote:

Thanks for the answer.

So I just need to pause or stop the song, then press the home button to back to home screen (just leave it at background)?

(sorry for noob question. Newbie in Android n Neutron)

yup. just pause or stop and use home or back button.
dont worry about it, the s3 has lots of power and memory to handle that app in its background ( and it really isnt consuming much resources being there actually)

i also use an s3 with a custom kernel called boeffla kernel and it sounds fantastic :)

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #60 of 1,374
Quote:
yup. just pause or stop and use home or back button.
dont worry about it, the s3 has lots of power and memory to handle that app in its background ( and it really isnt consuming much resources being there actually)

i also use an s3 with a custom kernel called boeffla kernel and it sounds fantastic :)

Really thanks a lot !!!

Now digesting the " boeffla kernel" .. totally no idea what is that n how to install n use.. reading n studying at website now..

Thanks again !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back