Android: Neutron Music Player
Dec 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 1,374

Agreed, Much better soundstaging and involvement.

I went back to Poweramp after a few days with neutron...

Quote:
poweramp is still the best IMO; with the right tweaks of the equalizer and tones it can sound as good.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #21 of 1,374
Tried it out recently. I noticed that the major difference between Neutron and PowerAmp is that Neutron's bass response is VERY noticably higher than PowerAmp's at flat EQ. I don't understand why Neutron, an app slated to be for audiophiles, has a mid-bass hump. :|

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 1,374

I had power amp - neutron- player pro and other....
Now I like to use only Tpod apps to listening.
The only things I don t like in Tpod is a annoyng way to setting properly the album art.
Anyway to me it is the best apps.
Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #24 of 1,374
At least Westone 4s on my Droid Razr M with Neutron on defaults (with 64-bit processing enabled) sound hands down better than PowerAmp no matter how I tweak EQ and tone.Granted in anything other than SQ Neutron is way worse. Imagine PowerAmp using Neutron's sound rendering engine. Not gonna happen ;(

Compared to my prior iPhone4 Razr M's built-in headphone out s*cks big time and does a huge disservice to W4s, I think it simply doesn't have enough power to drive the phones properly even though it gets pretty loud. Listening un-EQed (like I do on IP4) on stock Android player (or doubleTwist) all W4 famous traits are gone or diminished - soundstage is congested and sounds flat and 2D, instruments are lumped together, mids are recessed and instead of awesome clarity there's a pervasive veil. All musical involvement is simply gone. EQing hell out of PowerAmp restores mids and some clarity and partially lifts the veil. On the other hand Neutron with default EQ and toning simply does magic. OK, side by side with IP4 it sounds artificial and soundstage is still relatively narrow and there's something strange going on with the exaggerated mid-bass but at least clarity and detail are restored and instruments are decently separated. Listening to the music if fun again.

For the decent source PowerAmp probably is as good as it gets but for the bad case like Razr M Neutron is a godsend even if it’s infuriating in use.

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #25 of 1,374
Quote:
At least on my Droid Razr M with Westone 4 Neutron on defaults (with 64-bit processing enabled) sounds hands down better than Power AMP no matter how I tweak EQ and toning on the later. Granted in anything other than SQ Neutron is way worse. Dream is for PowerAmp to use Neutron's sound rendering engine. Not gonna happen ;(
Compared to my prior iPhone4 Razr M's built-in headphone out s*cks big time and does a huge disservice to W4s, I think it simply doesn't have enough power to drive the phones properly though it can get pretty loud. Listening un-EQed (like I do on IP4) on stock Android player (or doubleTwist) all W4 famous traits are gone or diminished - soundstage is congested and sounds flat and 2D, instruments are lumped together, mids are recessed and instead of awesome clarity there's a pervasive veil. All musical involvement is simply gone. EQing hell out of PowerAmp restores mids and some clarity and partially lifts the veil. On the other hand Neutron with default EQ and toning simply does magic. OK, side by side with IP4 it sounds artificial and soundstage is still relatively narrow and there's something strange going on with the exaggerated mid-bass but at least clarity and detail are restored and instruments are decently separated. Listening to the music if fun again.
For the decent source PowerAmp probably is as good as it gets but for the bad case like Razr M Neutron is a godsend even if it’s infuriating in use.

that´s the high output impedance of the razr. it goes past 10 ohms (as in almost all xperias). a no go for balanced armature headphones.

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #26 of 1,374
that´s the high output impedance of the razr. it goes past 10 ohms (as in almost all xperias). a no go for balanced armature headphones.

Hmm, interesting... Why would Moto shut out armature phones. Just because most cheap buds and IEMs used by the general public are dynamic? In any case I guess your explanation makes sense since I was wondering why my Pana HJE-900 (which I totally stopped using after getting W4s 2 years ago) sound on Razr M more or less same as on IP4.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #27 of 1,374
Quote:
Hmm, interesting... Why would Moto shut out armature phones. Just because most cheap buds and IEMs used by the general public are dynamic? In any case I guess your explanation makes sense since I was wondering why my Pana HJE-900 (which I totally stopped using after getting W4s 2 years ago) sound on Razr M more or less same as on IP4.

I'm not aware or Motto design choices but i know for sure that armature headphones are way more picky with output impedance than dynamic ones because the have a non linear impedance across the frequency ranges.

Hence high output impedances + armatures and you're all set for a sonic disaster.

High output impedances + dynamic and you get just uncontrolled bass because of a lack of electrical dampening.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #28 of 1,374
used the neon version of neutron with my sgs3 on siyah custom kernel 1.5.2, 4.0.4 ics and my vsonic gr07 bass editions. 
sq is much better than poweramp. there also seems no way for me to get this kind of sq with poweramp no matter how much i tweak its settings.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #29 of 1,374
How is it compared to the build in Samsung player? I have been streaming from squeeze player for a year, but before that I used power amp. Does it make sends to use the eq in poweramp. When the siyah kernel makes it possible to set the eq, directly in the dac

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #30 of 1,374
Hello again
I decided to try it out, so I bought the app on play store. I then downloaded the neon version, and installed it on top of the other. But it doesn't work. Since it works for you. Do you know if I'm doing it wrong. Normal version works though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back