Android: Neutron Music Player
Oct 8, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #1,216 of 1,375
but i still have a few questions i could not find good answers for, if someone could help me out here i would be very grateful:
  • in audiohardware it shows: armv8 + neon64 (64-bit) - does that mean i can use the 64 bit mode without killing my battery to hard?
My phone does not use any more power with 64bit on or off. Use it. (use ampere app to check power usage)
  • in audiohardware it shows: bits: 64 (out: 24 int) i cant make sense of this. should i change some setting?
Nope. Most DACs accept 24bit max, there is no music material beyond 24 - but if your DAC can take 32, use 32. Neutron just pads the 16 or 24 bit to make it output to 32.
  • in audiohardware it shows: latency 220 (min: 1). its set to 220 which was set per default. should i set it to 1? related: sofware latency is set to 20, would i benefit from a different setting here?
If you have no issues, leave them. In my case, I had some issues, so I maxed out hardware latency and shortened software.
  • i have a few tracks that have an "UNSYNCEDLYRICS" tag and lyrics included in the id3 tags, but i cant make the player show them. i know my old dead cowon did show them. is this a user error or doesnt the software support this tag? what are my other options? i was able to find some rare odd external lrc lyrics files, but these are very hard to find, to the point i did not even bother to try them because i could not find any packs for complete albums.
When you find out, let me know too!
Once you have set it up to your liking, back up your entire Neutron folder, just in case.

Neutron has its quirks, still needs a tiny work. Specially for network storages, but so far, I have not found a better player considering everything that is important to me.
And Yes, I do have UAPP too, it has no issues with networks, has built in Qubuz , but over all, I use Neutron all the time and put up with its quirks.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #1,217 of 1,375
lyric support is quite bad with neutron; the fuctionality is buggy and very limited to begin with.
tho the software supports lyrics via the "unsyncedlyrics" tag, it only accepts synced lyrics and any formating of the lyrics has to be done by time stamps which is incredibly cumbersome.
to make it worse its also buggy. if to much text is within one time stamp, the player will bug out and not display the text correctly - scrolling will then just delete the screen content resulting in a black screen.
lyrics download fuktionality seems abscent.

the only way to get lyrics working is either manually formating them with the required tags or use a 3.d party program to generate them.
there are a few online tools and they all suck hard. there are a few offline toll they all suck hard. the one program that did technically work for me is a foobar plugin minilyrics.
while minilyrics is working technically, the presentation and ui are so bad that using it has a non trivial chance to cause serious brain injury. its also extremely laggy.

so, though 99% of the music i listen to is not classical or opera, i do have a few operas i would love to have the ability to display the libretto as lyrics. but convert a long plain text to a format neutron accepts requires an exessive ammount of work. i estimate 10h per, once the workflow is understood. the results then are prone to break the lyrics plugin.
1/10 would not bother again. funktion is so poorly implemented it could as well be abscent.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #1,218 of 1,375
lyric support is quite bad with neutron; the fuctionality is buggy and very limited to begin with.
tho the software supports lyrics via the "unsyncedlyrics" tag, it only accepts synced lyrics and any formating of the lyrics has to be done by time stamps which is incredibly cumbersome.
to make it worse its also buggy. if to much text is within one time stamp, the player will bug out and not display the text correctly - scrolling will then just delete the screen content resulting in a black screen.
lyrics download fuktionality seems abscent.

the only way to get lyrics working is either manually formating them with the required tags or use a 3.d party program to generate them.
there are a few online tools and they all suck hard. there are a few offline toll they all suck hard. the one program that did technically work for me is a foobar plugin minilyrics.
while minilyrics is working technically, the presentation and ui are so bad that using it has a non trivial chance to cause serious brain injury. its also extremely laggy.

so, though 99% of the music i listen to is not classical or opera, i do have a few operas i would love to have the ability to display the libretto as lyrics. but convert a long plain text to a format neutron accepts requires an exessive ammount of work. i estimate 10h per, once the workflow is understood. the results then are prone to break the lyrics plugin.
1/10 would not bother again. funktion is so poorly implemented it could as well be abscent.

Which Android music player do you consider to have a correctly implemented lyrics feature?

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,219 of 1,375
Which Android music player do you consider to have a correctly implemented lyrics feature?
no idea. i briefly tried poweramp which seemed to have a better lyrics implementation. but i did not test it long enough to find the flaws of poweramp as overall i like neutron better despite this flaw.
in any case i do not think i need to know every player to be qualified to critizise a feature that is not working well for me.

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,220 of 1,375
Does neutron player support Astell & Kern players? I know it's hard to install .apk on them, but once done can it work? Very tempet by them but neutron player is a must to have reliability and compatibility.

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #1,221 of 1,375
I wonder if there is a chance will make a new version with a bit better navigation inside the music as I am really missing a level that other players nearly always offers (UAPP/Bubble/etc..) ? .. It is convinient navigating from Genres to Artistes instead of Albums directly, or from Years to Artistes instead Years to Album.

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #1,222 of 1,375
This is by far the best sounding music player I've ever used on Android. I've never had this problem before but now every time I restart my phone, I get the dialog box "Neutron player keeps stopping" and it gives me the option to close the app or send a report. I'm on a Google Pixel 3a running Android 12...

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #1,223 of 1,375
This is by far the best sounding music player I've ever used on Android. I've never had this problem before but now every time I restart my phone, I get the dialog box "Neutron player keeps stopping" and it gives me the option to close the app or send a report. I'm on a Google Pixel 3a running Android 12...

I suppose you did send a report?

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #1,225 of 1,375
Whenever I click on send report I get the dialog box that "market feedback keeps stopping".

Have you tried going into your phone app settings, and doing these two things?
1.) Force Stop the app
2.) Clear the app data cache

Then, it wouldn't hurt to restart your phone, and relaunch Neutron Music Player.

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #1,226 of 1,375
Is there any instructions as how Neutron (on Android) can play to a Wiim mini wifi?
I mean I believe I have set it up in "output to" under settings, the Wiim is detected.
However, Neutron gets very very slow, and refuses to play any tracks.
Help please.

Edit:
Scratch that, figured it out.
Working fine!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #1,227 of 1,375
I run NeutronMP on 3 androids. Every time I add or change the EQ settings on my main device I just export and peg and overwrite the eq_presets file from that directory into the other two androids. Only one of them accepts the new settings. The other one shows up still different settings, no matter what I else do. I already uninstalled and re-installed but it simply does not accept the new settings and shows up settings from months or years ago, don't know what it gets from these EQ data.

Any ideas please????

Dec 27, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,228 of 1,375
I run NeutronMP on 3 androids. Every time I add or change the EQ settings on my main device I just export and peg and overwrite the eq_presets file from that directory into the other two androids. Only one of them accepts the new settings. The other one shows up still different settings, no matter what I else do. I already uninstalled and re-installed but it simply does not accept the new settings and shows up settings from months or years ago, don't know what it gets from these EQ data.

Any ideas please????
After you uninstalled, delete the Neutron folder. Then re-install.
The folder is in main storage called NeutronMP.
Indeed by keeping a copy of the folder, you can backup your settings, or possibly export it to another device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back