Android: Neutron Music Player
Sep 10, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,201 of 1,375
Hello.
The normal thing would be to have your library on a NAS, your PC... or wherever you want, and synchronize your devices with a central software. I use jRiver. That way you organize them correctly in your core software, and if there are changes, they are updated on your device at the next sync. It can also be done that if you classify a song on your device, in the next synchronization it will update your library, and therefore, the rest of the devices when they are synchronized.

I personally use Roon for that but that only works in your network and you need to be in the network to listen. No offline running for a DAP. Ideally it would allow you to download all or parts of you library onto devices that you request this to happen on.

They are working on a solution but I’m assuming that will still require an internet connection to your Roon Core.

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #1,202 of 1,375
Two catches with that:
- Neutron is not so good with networking YET!
- Jriver can not run on Android either, and doubt if changes would show up on other media players.
I really wish Neutron would tackle the networking issue.
Sorry if I didn't know how to explain myself well. I'm not talking about launching network tracks from Neutron, or having jRiver on Android. What I mean is:
- Have a centralized library, in my case on a NAS.
- Have a jRiver on a windows PC (I've also used MediaMonkey in the past, and I use Roon, but not for organizing my music or mirroring my devices)
- When I have new music files, usually flac, I always organize them through jRiver, having the most common tags perfectly tagged.
- In jRiver I have playlists, for example, of the latest albums added, the songs that exceed a 3-star rating, my favorites of a certain genre...
- From jRiver I synchronize my different DAPs. I can sync playlists, albums or complete artists... I still keep an old ipod even for the car. On my DAP and Android phone, I use Neutron. Songs and playlists are downloaded to local directories.
- If anything is modified in the central library, in the next synchronization, the tags in the devices are also modified.

Currently, I only modify metadata in jRiver, but I wanted to do a test, which hasn't worked with Neutron so far.
- If I modify the rating from Neutron, I don't see that the rating tag in the physical file is modified. The idea was that if this was possible in Neutron, and synchronization was activated in both directions from jRiver, the central library would be updated with the rating that was marked on each device, and propagated to the rest of the devices in the next synchronization..

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,203 of 1,375
Sorry if I didn't know how to explain myself well. I'm not talking about launching network tracks from Neutron, or having jRiver on Android. What I mean is:
- Have a centralized library, in my case on a NAS.
- Have a jRiver on a windows PC (I've also used MediaMonkey in the past, and I use Roon, but not for organizing my music or mirroring my devices)
- When I have new music files, usually flac, I always organize them through jRiver, having the most common tags perfectly tagged.
- In jRiver I have playlists, for example, of the latest albums added, the songs that exceed a 3-star rating, my favorites of a certain genre...
- From jRiver I synchronize my different DAPs. I can sync playlists, albums or complete artists... I still keep an old ipod even for the car. On my DAP and Android phone, I use Neutron. Songs and playlists are downloaded to local directories.
- If anything is modified in the central library, in the next synchronization, the tags in the devices are also modified.

Currently, I only modify metadata in jRiver, but I wanted to do a test, which hasn't worked with Neutron so far.
- If I modify the rating from Neutron, I don't see that the rating tag in the physical file is modified. The idea was that if this was possible in Neutron, and synchronization was activated in both directions from jRiver, the central library would be updated with the rating that was marked on each device, and propagated to the rest of the devices in the next synchronization..
Yes, I got you.
Problem is, Neutron only reads local files on the device.
So files on a NAS are invisible to it, practically .
Unless the poster, keep copying his music files from NAS to his Android devices, which tedious .

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #1,204 of 1,375
Yes, I got you.
Problem is, Neutron only reads local files on the device.
So files on a NAS are invisible to it, practically .
Unless the poster, keep copying his music files from NAS to his Android devices, which tedious .
Are you sure about this?

Sep 10, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #1,205 of 1,375
Are you sure about this?
As much as I have tried and know, Neutron sucks at networking. accessing files on a NAS is a hit and miss with Neutron.
I have even posted instructions on this thread how to setup a samba1 shared folder on Windows purely for Neutron, but at times Neutron still has difficulty .
I hope they fix it.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #1,207 of 1,375
When I load a playlist the time remaining/total time is like 56 hours, I want it to display the time for the current playing song and not the total time. Anyone knows how to do that?
Can you share a screenshot of this?
Now Playing screen only ever shows time remaining for the current track. I've never been able to have it show cumulative time remaining for ALL songs in a given playlist, as you describe.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #1,208 of 1,375
Can you share a screenshot of this?
Now Playing screen only ever shows time remaining for the current track. I've never been able to have it show cumulative time remaining for ALL songs in a given playlist, as you describe.
Also, 45 songs don't equal to 77 hours. EDIT: ok I figured it out I imported the playlist, and it goes corrupted, so I tried a different method, and it works now, just need to get use to the UI. the only negative of this player.

Attachments

• IMG_20220913_113344.jpg
    IMG_20220913_113344.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220913_123110.jpg
    IMG_20220913_123110.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #1,209 of 1,375
Hello
What is the easiest / best tool to use to create a playlist from Windows (FLAC library on an external drive) that can be imported in Neutron on my Android DAPs ?
I am a newbie regarding playlist creation, so sorry if the question is kind of stupid...

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,210 of 1,375
Hello
What is the easiest / best tool to use to create a playlist from Windows (FLAC library on an external drive) that can be imported in Neutron on my Android DAPs ?
I am a newbie regarding playlist creation, so sorry if the question is kind of stupid...

For playlists files on an SSD or Internet access to my upnp server (Minimserver 2.1), I use :
-> foobar2000 to create m3u8 playlists under windows
-> then I use notepad to replace all "\" with "/" in the playlists file.
And I copy the playlist file on the right place on the SSD to keep relative directory structure.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #1,211 of 1,375
Thank you, I will try this

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,212 of 1,375
Hello
Hi.
The easiest way is through a music library manager. I have used MediaMonkey in the past and now jRiver. From there, you can create custom or automatic playlists (albums imported in the last month, or songs with 4 stars or more, for example). From these programs, the DAPs can be configured to synchronize each time they are plugged in. The songs can be stored with the structure you want ("Artist/album/#track - title", for example), and in each DAP or phone, the playlists can be stored in a certain directory, and so that if you need it, for some DAPs automatically replace the "\" with "/". I have Neutron on my android phones and DAPs, and if you need help configuring any of these programs, I'll tell you how I got it.

All the best.

Oct 7, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #1,214 of 1,375
i just tried and immidiately bought neutron for my dap, i really love this software!

i am very impressed by all the features this player has that i was missing from my previous daps for years and decades now. like individual equilizer settings for songs, albums or artists. i have often whished for such a feature but never seen it done before.
and there are so many great ideas and qol features i dont even know where to begin or stop, but the option to hide shuffle and playmode buttons is another favorite of mine. i used a hiby player before and often turned on shuffle or repeat by accident. i never use these features so i am much better off without the button.

i wont lie, i did spend hours now fiddeling with the options now and they are quite intimidating. but i rather learn that once then getting annoyed by not having the ability to do what i want forever.

but i still have a few questions i could not find good answers for, if someone could help me out here i would be very grateful:

• in audiohardware it shows: armv8 + neon64 (64-bit) - does that mean i can use the 64 bit mode without killing my battery to hard?
  • in audiohardware it shows: bits: 64 (out: 24 int) i cant make sense of this. should i change some setting?
  • in audiohardware it shows: latency 220 (min: 1). its set to 220 which was set per default. should i set it to 1? related: sofware latency is set to 20, would i benefit from a different setting here?
  • i have a few tracks that have an "UNSYNCEDLYRICS" tag and lyrics included in the id3 tags, but i cant make the player show them. i know my old dead cowon did show them. is this a user error or doesnt the software support this tag? what are my other options? i was able to find some rare odd external lrc lyrics files, but these are very hard to find, to the point i did not even bother to try them because i could not find any packs for complete albums.
well, anyhow. mind = blown.

oh, there is a little piece of configuration freedom i would love to see added: allow me to set the scroll speed for titles that do not fit the screen, i think its a wee bit slow right now.

Oct 8, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #1,215 of 1,375
i just tried and immidiately bought neutron for my dap, i really love this software!

i am very impressed by all the features this player has that i was missing from my previous daps for years and decades now. like individual equilizer settings for songs, albums or artists. i have often whished for such a feature but never seen it done before.
and there are so many great ideas and qol features i dont even know where to begin or stop, but the option to hide shuffle and playmode buttons is another favorite of mine. i used a hiby player before and often turned on shuffle or repeat by accident. i never use these features so i am much better off without the button.

i wont lie, i did spend hours now fiddeling with the options now and they are quite intimidating. but i rather learn that once then getting annoyed by not having the ability to do what i want forever.

but i still have a few questions i could not find good answers for, if someone could help me out here i would be very grateful:

• in audiohardware it shows: armv8 + neon64 (64-bit) - does that mean i can use the 64 bit mode without killing my battery to hard?
  • in audiohardware it shows: bits: 64 (out: 24 int) i cant make sense of this. should i change some setting?
  • in audiohardware it shows: latency 220 (min: 1). its set to 220 which was set per default. should i set it to 1? related: sofware latency is set to 20, would i benefit from a different setting here?
  • i have a few tracks that have an "UNSYNCEDLYRICS" tag and lyrics included in the id3 tags, but i cant make the player show them. i know my old dead cowon did show them. is this a user error or doesnt the software support this tag? what are my other options? i was able to find some rare odd external lrc lyrics files, but these are very hard to find, to the point i did not even bother to try them because i could not find any packs for complete albums.
well, anyhow. mind = blown.

oh, there is a little piece of configuration freedom i would love to see added: allow me to set the scroll speed for titles that do not fit the screen, i think its a wee bit slow right now.
Don't forget to kindly post your config file here for those tired to fiddle thru all the nmp settings if you don't mind :) .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back