Android: Neutron Music Player
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #1,156 of 1,374
P.S. Also I would like to praise the Neutron app and its developers! It's better sounding then any app I have tried on Android and I believe I have tried all that are worthwhile.
I wouldn't say it sounds better, but it is feature rich.
Well arranged.
once you get used to its layout, it becomes all you ever need.
So, yes, thank you.
I love it too.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #1,157 of 1,374
@dmitrykos: Excuse me for posting here first, will do it on your forum, too.

Does Neutron MP handle SMB v2 and SMB v3 for network connections by now? Having only SMB v1 is sooooo outdated and insecure. Please!

The next is a question to you and all folks: Is it possible to set up a network location as a media source, but prevent putting the tracks into the media library? Scanning the network location takes ages, and I think things get messy when the same album is both on the DAP itself and the network location.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #1,159 of 1,374
@dmitrykos: … …

The next is a question to you and all folks: Is it possible to set up a network location as a media source, but prevent putting the tracks into the media library? Scanning the network location takes ages, and I think things get messy when the same album is both on the DAP itself and the network location.
To be more precise: Have the network location as a source and be able to only to a ”Play from directory“. Is it possible as of now? Otherwise pls consider it as a feature request.

Aug 17, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #1,160 of 1,374
@dmitrykos

I have a question regarding the volume control in direct USB access mode.

Will the resolution be reduced, when I use this option, or will it have any other negative effect on the sound?

In the past, I have simply used the volume control on the headphone amp.
But the current headphone amp, has an analog potentiometer, which only has ideal channel matching at near maximum volume position.
So my plan is, to leave the volume control of the amplifier, in the ideal position, and control the volume only via the Neutron player.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,161 of 1,374
@dmitrykos
Will the resolution be reduced, when I use this option, or will it have any other negative effect on the sound?
Technically, any volume control reduces dynamic range, and therefore resolution. If you do it on your amp, be it digital or analogue, there is no escape!
So don't worry about that, a digital volume control is more transparent and noise free than any analogue. So NO, to negative effects. be it on Neutron or any software player.
But the current headphone amp, has an analog potentiometer, which only has ideal channel matching at near maximum volume position.
Even a stepped resistor ladder volume control will not have the accuracy of a digital volume control.
So my plan is, to leave the volume control of the amplifier, in the ideal position, and control the volume only via the Neutron player.
Leave the amp at full volume, if it has no hiss at full volume, and control using digital volume control, or the reverse, leave Neutron at full, and control by amp volume control.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,162 of 1,374
Yes, of course you are right,
Any kind of loud control will result in a loss of dynamic range.
I had one thinking error after another.

Especially in my case, with the Topping L30 II, the digital volume control via the Neutron player, will be the lesser evil.
Possibly the one tested by Amir was indeed an outlier.

But I don't want to take a chance, and would like to enact the volume control in the ideal range, and regulate via the neutron player.

Topping L30 II Headphone Amplifier Channel Match Measurements.png

Basically, you don't need to worry about dynamic losses with this amplifier.
100dB @ 50mV, 600Ohm!

Topping L30 II Headphone Amplifier SNR 50 mv Measurements.png

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/topping-l30-ii-review-headphone-amp.36027/

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,163 of 1,374
If you look at the graph above, the dashed blue curve is channel difference, it is at zero at top most position, basically means the analogue volume control gets diabled.
The L30 should have no hiss at full volume, if you have very sensitive IEMs, and volume is way too high, still keep the volume at full, but use the gain setting.
Adjust volume by Neutron.

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #1,164 of 1,374
Yes right.
That's why I made the yellow circle 👍

Aug 18, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,165 of 1,374
@dmitrykos: …

To be more precise: Have the network location as a source and be able to only to a ”Play from directory“. Is it possible as of now? Otherwise pls consider it as a feature request.
@dmitrykos: Okay, I have explored network location handling a lot more now. I must say it is very good as it is now. I have adjusted my settings and workflow. Just leave it as it is!

But consider SMB v2 and v3, please.

Thank you!

Aug 18, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,166 of 1,374
@dmitrykos: Okay, I have explored network location handling a lot more now. I must say it is very good as it is now. I have adjusted my settings and workflow. Just leave it as it is!
But consider SMB v2 and v3, please.
With mine, SMB V1 only works, not 2 nor three.
V1 does work, if setup correctly.
I have detailed instructions somewhere in this thread.
Unfortunately, pure folder play is beyond Neutron, it can only play after scanning the entire location.
I really, really hope Dmitry would fix this issue. This is one feature that if fixed and work everytime, would be of great value.
Mobile phone (tablet etc.) storage is limited, with the advent of Hi-res music, network playback is vital.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #1,167 of 1,374
Removes Neutron Player the DSD high frequency garbage?

ä11Unbenannt.JPG-1.jpg

I wonder to what extent Neutron Player removes the high frequency DSD garbage when converting DSD to PCM.
Can someone tell me something about this?

Since I work with EQ, I have the DOP option disabled

Screenshot_20220819-070502_Neutron Player.jpg

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #1,168 of 1,374
@dmitrykos

In the manual of the Adi 2 pro I found some interesting information on the subject.
From this I found many more arguments for the digital volume control.
Screenshot_20220819-094134_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20220819-094204_Samsung Notes.jpg

Aug 19, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #1,169 of 1,374
Removes Neutron Player the DSD high frequency garbage?

ä11Unbenannt.JPG-1.jpg

I wonder to what extent Neutron Player removes the high frequency DSD garbage when converting DSD to PCM.
Can someone tell me something about this?
The area you have circled is within audio band, so Neutron does not touch it, and it shouldn't!
You could activate "Ultrasonic Filter" within audio hardware, and set it to 24K.
I suppose Dmitry could implement a sharp 24K filter within DSD>PCM converter such as the one on jRiver.
In the manual of the Adi 2 pro I found some interesting information on the subject.
From this I found many more arguments for the digital volume control.
Screenshot_20220819-094134_Samsung Notes.jpg Screenshot_20220819-094204_Samsung Notes.jpg
Yep, that is true.
Hence my suggestion to keep the analogue volume at max. (i.e. defeat) and use digital volume control.
If output is too high, use low gain or med gain.
ADI BTW are famous for their pro ADC equipment for recording studios.

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #1,170 of 1,374
Yesterday, I realized once again,
that there's really no more convenient way to control the volume,
than using the smartphone's volume buttons.
Not only that.
The more information I gather, the more I come to the conclusion,
that it should also be qualitatively, the best way, to control the volume.
"Deactivate" the analog pot, i.e. turn it up fully, and control it digitally in the player.

Yes, I have left the ultrasonic filter activated. Unfortunately, the setting options are not satisfactory.
If I have understood correctly, then it is still unclear what negative effects on the system, the high-frequency DSD garbage has.
Therefore, I will most likely, like many others, the DSF files, convert to Flac.
Because unfortunately I have a few DSF sources that I can not get as Flac or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back