Android-fi!
Feb 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #346 of 904
^^ FWIW, I've had my Samsung galaxy ace dropped onto a marble floor and it survived the fall without a single scratch. Just goes to show that not everything depends on the build quality or design of the phone. Although it does matter whether or not one has their phone inside of a case or not when things go awry :)

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #349 of 904
I own the Galaxy S III (with T-Mobile USA) and I am absolutely dumbfounded why this phone is so popular. It's garbage, and almost as buggy as my G2 which is saying a lot.

Charging 400$+ for it is laughable.

Is everyone just a total and complete moron or is there something I'm missing?

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #350 of 904
Quote:
I own the Galaxy S III (with T-Mobile USA) and I am absolutely dumbfounded why this phone is so popular. It's garbage, and almost as buggy as my G2 which is saying a lot.

I have a Galaxy S III (with Verizon) and it's a fantastic phone. I have yet to experience a major issue with it.

Could be your phone or your provider. I was with T-Mobile for over 10 years. I stuck with them for the last three only due to contracts...their service has become the worst and their phones never worked properly.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #351 of 904
Quote:

Not sure about buggy, I didn't have any issue with my International SIII. I didn't like TouchWiz though, so I put the AOKP ROM. Enjoying the google experience ever since.

Talking about everyone being a moron, I feel everyone is nowadays. My parents were amazed to hear my phone takes 3 hours to charge and lasts a day at max. Compare this to simple phones that take half an hour to charge and last 3 days.
Somewhere in the past 3-4 years it seems the customers have accepted a one day battery life, as long as the phone has a retina display. When customer priorities change, so do manufacturers. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #352 of 904
Quote:

Ditch TouchWiz immediately and load up CleanROM, AOKP (my suggestion) or another popular one and profit.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #353 of 904
I need to install the Carbon rom on mine.

I haven't had any problems with it stock though.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #354 of 904
Yeah definitely going to ditch stock when I have time to do it. Probably in the next few weeks.

LFF has the right idea, the issues are probably just the ridiculous software it comes with.

I have many friends who use CyanogenMod, how do those others you guys mention compare to Cyanogen?

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #355 of 904
Quote:
I have many friends who use CyanogenMod, how do those others you guys mention compare to Cyanogen?

Basics are all the same. You can take a look at any extra enhancements the ROMs provide, and the under-the-hood features like speed governors and clock settings.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #356 of 904
Quote:

Well since the SIII is one of the top rated phones out there, I think either your phone is defective or you are definitely missing something (or the moron).   You should not experience any bugs with it, and if you do, you may have a defective phone or require a factory reset due to a bad app install.  It certainly is not "garbage".  You should take some time to figure out what's wrong with it and return it if necessary for a replacement or repair.  Some people don't like the Samsung TouchWiz interface and will flash a custom ROM, but even if you leave the phone stock, it's considered one of the best phones out there.   T-mobile service is fine in urban locations, I've been with them for over a decade without any complaints.  They keep getting better as they expand their relatively fast HSPA+ coverage and will soon also provide LTE in some markets.  So no, everyone is not a complete moron, and in fact the SIII is one of the best phones money can buy, it's the flagship Samsung phone (until the S4 of course) :)  

Personally I now have a Nexus 4 with T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan and would never go back to a contract plan.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #357 of 904
Quote:
Yeah definitely going to ditch stock when I have time to do it. Probably in the next few weeks.

LFF has the right idea, the issues are probably just the ridiculous software it comes with.

Cyanogen is often the "base" for these custom builds, but I've never had good battery life with any straight Cyanogen ROMs.  I prefer AOKP in that regard, same or more customization options and seems to play nicely with any kernel I feel like trying.

Currently running AOKP 4.2.2 with AK Pirates 687 Kernel.  I run at 1350MHz on stock volts and down to 180MHz idle with 780mV.  Phone lasts a very long time, I toggle LTE off when I'm not using it.  The LTE toggle is right in the navbar if you have a custom ROM, quite nice.

Quote:

Personally I now have a Nexus 4 with T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan and would never go back to a contract plan.

/jealous

Trapped in Verizon's grasp right now.  Have been thinking about selling my GNex to fund an "early termination fee" and buy a Nexus 4 :p

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #358 of 904
Yeah TouchWiz is really, super awful and the phone is much more smooth, crisp, and glitch-free with a stock-like rom on it. When I go from my Nexus 4 to the TouchWiz GSIII I feel like I'm surrounded by bloat.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #359 of 904
Are we ever going to do that review thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back