Android-fi!
Aug 21, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #196 of 904
Quote:
I can somewhat relate, but I'm a bit of a spec freak myself; hard as it is for me to admit, the TI-OMAP in the Galaxy Nexus is leagues behind the Exynos chipset in the SIII. The larger screen, improved camera, and better screen are all pretty nice bonuses as well. 

Specs don't mean much in the Android world, and we both know this. Android phones are outdated within a few months anyway, so what's the point of buying the latest and greatest? The Galaxy Nexus is available from the Play Store right now for $349 contract-free and unlocked. That's a damn good deal for a phone that's considered the ultimate Android phone a few months ago. 

Quote:
Do you have the nexus?
Have you noticed the horrible housing that is the same cheap plastic crap as my mom's $20 flip phone?
Have you noticed the horrible camera?
Have you noticed the horrible display? The pentile display with the checkerboarding drives me nuts
Also, probably not a problem for you in AU, but LTE murders battery life as well...
I think if you buy a popular phone with an unlockable bootloader and CM10 support you won't have any need to update :)
IMHO Samsung took advantage of the nexus name and delivered a crappy, overpriced phone. But I still kind of prefer it to my old Moto Droid X...

Yes, I have the Galaxy Nexus. I also have a Galaxy S3, and an iPhone 4S.

The horrible casing of the Galaxy Nexus? Are you sure you're not talking about the SGS3 as well? Let me tell you think - EVERY Android phone has cheap plastic crap for their cases if it's made by Samsung. The SGS3 isn't ANY better than the GN when it comes to build quality. The ONLY Android phone that has decent construction is the HTC One X.

The horrible camera? Can you show me an Android phone with a GOOD camera then? If you want a good camera on your phone, get the Pureview 808 or even the iPhone 4S, which has a f/2.4 aperture. Yes, the GN has a horrible camera, but are you saying the SGS3 is that much better? Just because it has a few more megapixels doesn't mean it's better glass - because it doesn't. 

The checkerboarding issue with Pentile is extremely overrated. It's almost all in your head. And for the matter, the SGS3 also has a pentile display. Yes, the SGS3 has a slightly better screen. I can see this, but this checkerboarding issue is WAY overblown. If you really want a good screen that has good pixel density, accurate color reproduction and clarity, feel free to get an iPhone 4S. But that's not an Android phone, is it now?

LTE can be switched off, and Android phones all have terrible battery life in the first place. Isn't that why you have removable batteries? So you can hot swap them. I don't know about you, but one battery never lasts me the whole day on my Galaxy Nexus OR Galaxy S3.

Overpriced? The GN at $349 is overpriced? Seriously? 

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #197 of 904
Quote:

Specs don't mean much in the Android world, and we both know this. Android phones are outdated within a few months anyway, so what's the point of buying the latest and greatest? The Galaxy Nexus is available from the Play Store right now for $349 contract-free and unlocked. That's a damn good deal for a phone that's considered the ultimate Android phone a few months ago. 

The horrible casing of the Galaxy Nexus? Are you sure you're not talking about the SGS3 as well? Let me tell you think - EVERY Android phone has cheap plastic crap for their cases if it's made by Samsung. The SGS3 isn't ANY better than the GN when it comes to build quality. The ONLY Android phone that has decent construction is the HTC One X.

The horrible camera? Can you show me an Android phone with a GOOD camera then? If you want a good camera on your phone, get the Pureview 808 or even the iPhone 4S, which has a f/2.4 aperture. Yes, the GN has a horrible camera, but are you saying the SGS3 is that much better? Just because it has a few more megapixels doesn't mean it's better glass - because it doesn't. 

The checkerboarding issue with Pentile is extremely overrated. It's almost all in your head. And for the matter, the SGS3 also has a pentile display. Yes, the SGS3 has a slightly better screen. I can see this, but this checkerboarding issue is WAY overblown. If you really want a good screen that has good pixel density, accurate color reproduction and clarity, feel free to get an iPhone 4S. But that's not an Android phone, is it now?

LTE can be switched off, and Android phones all have terrible battery life in the first place. Isn't that why you have removable batteries? So you can hot swap them. I don't know about you, but one battery never lasts me the whole day on my Galaxy Nexus OR Galaxy S3.

Yeah, I agree that specs don't mean as much when a new phone with much more power under the hood will get released in about half a year, but why settle for something inferior when the SIII is as future-proofed now as my i9000 was back in 2010? There's no denying that by this time next year, any phone currently out will be obsolete. It's only a question of how obsolete they'll be by that time.

How's the SQ on the 4S, by the way? I've heard good things about it, but have never had the chance to try it out personally. My mom, who owns a 4S, is kinda attached to it XD
Is there a noticeable difference between it and the Wolfson in the SIII?

Most HTC phones are built like tanks, to be honest, especially back when they were just a relatively new Android OEM. I guess the Desire's status as Phone of The Year went to their heads, ne?

Back on topic: I agree that the build quality on Samsung phones in general is, well, crap. My i9000 looks like a hobo with all the nicks, scratches, and kinks it's picked up over the past two years, LOL. Then again, most people pick Sammy for their great hardware. Well, either that or Samsung's Apple-esque marketing skills. For the record, I take the time to research stuff before buying :)

Also, I actually prefer the feel of the Galaxy Nexus to the SIII. The GN's textured pattern felt way nicer than the glazed finish on the latter phone, and I felt much more secure holding it. By the way, I own neither phone (my i9000 is to date my first and only smartphone, since I'm the type to wear things to the ground before replacing them), but I've had the chance to play with both of them at a nearby store.

Going off on a tangent again: I'd keep my i9000 as a DAP/game machine and get a PureView for daily phone use, just so I can get my hands on that 41MP camera. If only I had the money :))

I also got to play with my friend's PureView, and can personally attest to it's insane picture quality, especially when in 38MP mode (it's physically impossible to use the sensor's full 41MP, due to it's strange shape). Also, I agree that MP is just a single point of reference for judging a camera's quality; I'd prefer an 8MP camera with excellent performance over a 16MP camera with mediocre performance. And just to underline the fact that a higher MP count doesn't necessarily mean better performance, take a look at the HTC Mozart's picture quality.

It's a matter of scree size and marketing, I think. OEMs are currently in a display war, and are doing their best to get the public involved in the mess. I'm perfectly content with a 4" screen with WVGA resolution (and a PenTile matrix to boot), and I can't even tell the difference between the picture quality on the SIII and the GN; 720p resolution on anything under 5" is already overkill, in my book. Also, the additional res is just extra strain on the chipset after a certain point.

I agree about Android phones on the whole having bad battery life (I keep a spare 1500mAh battery in my wallet), though 2.3 and above has made incremental improvements on that front. It's nowhere near the level of my dad's old Windows Mobile 6 PDA (I'm not kidding, he still has his old HTC Touch), but it's bearable now that I'm on an ICS ROM. And yeah, I can get through a whole day on a single charge, sometimes even two. The trick is to remember that it's a phone and not a game machine. The biggest battery drainer in my case is, admittedly, the Music Player :wink:

Compared to a lot of other phones, yeah. A lot of people forget that there's a difference between a feature phone and a smartphone. To illustrate: My classmate, after seeing the new ROM on my phone, wanted me to do the same on her Galaxy Y. I almost felt sorry seeing the crestfallen look on her face >.<

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #198 of 904

Haven't looked at the s3 specs too much, sorry. I do remember the one x having a good camera though.
When I bought the gnex through my carrier it was $300 subsidized by the way, that's my frame of reference.
All these mpbad Samsung phones are really souring me away from android...
I'm genuinely considering an iPhone 5, your above post kind of makes you look like an iPhone fanboy lol no offense though.
I though iOS sucked personally until I got my iPad.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #199 of 904
Got my rooted Desire Z running fine. Awesome phone, got couple 3rd party batteries. If i don't have much use, it can last 2-3 days on a single battery. Running mimicry 1.4 rom (ics). Also did the slide mechanism spring replacement on my phone. Wish manufacturers would take hardware qwerty kb phones more seriously, and slab more high end specs in them.

Too bad Nokia went downhill so hard, damn Microsoft. They should have made Meego phones. oh well. Now there's Jolla Mobile raising with Meego, hope they come up with a decent phone, might switch.

Damn Apple suing everybody, now they are getting 5 billion $ from Samsung, tough its not certain yet. Jury may have *uckd up.

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #201 of 904
Quote:

First off..cool down a bit.
Secondly,

"Specs don't mean much in the Android world, and we both know this. Android phones are outdated within a few months anyway, so what's the point of buying the latest and greatest? The Galaxy Nexus is available from the Play Store right now for $349 contract-free and unlocked. That's a damn good deal for a phone that's considered the ultimate Android phone a few months ago. "

I totally agree with you that the galaxy nexus is a really damn great deal to buy at the time being. GN is the cheapest/ worth the money to buy if a regular smartphone user or android dev.
Though it's only the software that's special comparing it between the other high-end phones. 
Eventually the software gets ported/modded by android devs to include better features than stock rom.

I own the GN but sadly, the hardware isnt up par like the any other high end phones.
As for me I tend to watch 720p mvk files on the GN/ try to play some gpu requiring games/ have gifs(live wallpapers) and widgets running in the home screens which my GN has jellybean installed and the hardware on it yet still shows sluggish performance due to weaker specs while other higher end phones like the galaxy s3 for example performs better BUT, the GN's performance improved a lot thanks to project butter. The software on the s3 is what it's limiting it's performance considering touchwiz is bloated which is why it's better to root and change to a different rom which then performs like a boss and better than the GN. 

And saying specs don't mean much is partly wrong, specs take the role of powering the hardware and usually the better the specs, the better it performance.
Benchmarking is pointless if that's what you're trying to point out since real-time performance shows the actually performance on a hardware rather than in some numbers. 
Good specs bring better performance follow up by the software running on the hardware.

"The horrible casing of the Galaxy Nexus? Are you sure you're not talking about the SGS3 as well? Let me tell you think - EVERY Android phone has cheap plastic crap for their cases if it's made by Samsung. The SGS3 isn't ANY better than the GN when it comes to build quality. The ONLY Android phone that has decent construction is the HTC One X."

As for the build quality on the SG3, it is quite solid and not terrible IMO. It may be plastic but the phone feels solid regardless just like the Galaxy nexus but no better though the back of the GN is probably feels better due to not be glossy as hell like with the GS3. The front design on the GS3 IMO is gorgeous but the back of the phone is disappointing; all the glossyness makes the phone appear to look cheap. The HOX in the other hand is great in design though however, itis thicker and feels bigger in one hand than the GS3 with no option of removable battery and mircosd.(which damn, no removable battery=deal breaker for me)
Hopefully the next time Galaxy it won't be glossy on the back of the GS3 but rather matte; that is if I decide to get one or not.(Nexus has the best software support though.)

"The checkerboarding issue with Pentile is extremely overrated. It's almost all in your head. And for the matter, the SGS3 also has a pentile display. Yes, the SGS3 has a slightly better screen. I can see this, but this checkerboarding issue is WAY overblown. If you really want a good screen that has good pixel density, accurate color reproduction and clarity, feel free to get an iPhone 4S. But that's not an Android phone, is it now?"

As for the screen comparison between the GN and the S3, both are pentile though honestly due to the high pixel density you can't see any small pixels on both unless you get some microscope but on the G3, pixel density is higher and the colors are presented better than the ones on the GN which in result SG3>GN in screen. If anything, pentile screens are not horrible considering they consume less battery consumption.
As for the checkerboarding on the GS3, there should be none if you use a different browser.(touchwiz's browser is the problem as it's not efficient like Chrome/Firefox mobile browsers' performance . You can find external/third party mobile browsers on the Google Play store which I recommend doing as third party browsers are faster than the ones built in any phones usally. I don't have any problems of checkerboards on the browser/using Chrome on my GN.)
As for the iphone 4s' screen may look sharper and present better colors but that is due to the smaller size with the high pixel density of it.
Smaller screens with high pixel density will always appear to look sharper than the one on a larger screen.
If you get the a screen to expand its size larger than what it is originally is, the screen will lose its sharpness/clarity that was seen on the smaller screen.

"The horrible camera? Can you show me an Android phone with a GOOD camera then? If you want a good camera on your phone, get the Pureview 808 or even the iPhone 4S, which has a f/2.4 aperture. Yes, the GN has a horrible camera, but are you saying the SGS3 is that much better? Just because it has a few more megapixels doesn't mean it's better glass - because it doesn't. "

As for the camera on the GS3, the GS3 performance/takes sharper pictures better than the one on the GN due to the higher megapixels on the GS3. (GS3 has a f/2.6 aperture, which isn't too far from the iphone 4s)
So the pictures taken on the GS3 is noticeably better than the GN which makes the GS3 being able to take decent pictures for a smartphone.
And really IMO, if someone is that concerned about the quality of the pictures taken, should really buy a dslr and use that to take pictures....(just like how if someone wants better sound on their headphones than the ones currently being used, buy a better headphone.) Smartphones regardless at the time being won't be better than dslrs at taking pictures. (Yes even the iphone 4s)
But otherwise, GS3 isn't horrible at taking pictures but rather takes decent pictures which so does the iphone 4s.  
(Info from http://www.e2save.com/community/reviews/samsung-galaxys3-vs-htc-one-x-camera-features/)
(This videos shows what the SG3 is capable of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_QNBwvBV4Y&feature=plcp)

"LTE can be switched off, and Android phones all have terrible battery life in the first place. Isn't that why you have removable batteries? So you can hot swap them. I don't know about you, but one battery never lasts me the whole day on my Galaxy Nexus OR Galaxy S3."

You must be using the phone quite a bit but needless to say, no smartphone can last longer than a day if used nonstop.(Even the iphone can't last the whole day with it being used nonstop. had the iphone 3gs i would know)
What I know is that the GS3 should last longer than the GN considering the GS3 has a bigger battery.
I in the other hand have pretty decent battery on my GN stock battery. 32 hours standby with 4 hours of screen-on through out regular usage with wifi on. Then on 3G/hspa+ 27 hours standby with the same screen on <- I don't find the battery terrible at all if you ask me..)
But if I start to use it non-stop, my GN dies within 4-5hours.(barely makes any difference weather being on wifi or data connection)
Only way to improve battery on smartphones is to turn off whatever you're not using like data connection/gps/bluetooth and lowering brightness of the screen.
Unlike like ios however, in android roms there are better options saving battery life.
Just by changing your rom and the kernel running on any android phone will show a difference up to twice in amount of much longer lasting battery life can be than the battery life on stock rom/kernel.
There are also apps on Google Play which will turn anything off you may not be using at the moment the screen is off which then can be turned on automatically by the app when screen turns on.(Like juice defender) 
As for why there are removable batteries on a lot of android phone is the choice of options.
Sure you can swap out battery if you like but not forced to anyways.
Unlike the iphone or HOX  however, can't even swap out a different battery if it dies or if wanted to more extended usage on it.

Any who, I am ending my informative reply with stating that I hope on the next Nexus(lawl tongue twister xD) the hardware will improve drastically which will then make it the ultimate android phone yet in terms of hardware and software although the nexus is already the ultimate android experience already.

Oh and any one wondering on weather to get the Galaxy Nexus or not, it's a steal for the price only $350(exclude tax and no contract) but there will be a new nexus soon probably around December like the past two years soo honesty your call weather to get the newer nexus or the Galaxy Nexus that has been out for last year.(I would wait lol)
________________________________________________________________________________________
oh and Head-fi still won't let me edit my profile lawl... after all these posts. COMEON MAN LET ME ADD AN AVATAR T-T

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #202 of 904
Anyways, here's my set up.
Galaxy Nexus running AOKP Rom 4.1 Jellybean with 007 kernel.
Pretty satisfied with it though am looking forward to new upgrade to either galaxy s3, galaxy note 2, or probably the next nexus phone :p. Going to decide after the new nexus comes out.
Good to know Sony is in the android game, can't wait to see what type of phones they will bring to the market in the future. Sony Xepria TX is not that bad in design though lacking a little in specs.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #203 of 904
Quote:
I would never get a non-Nexus phone. I hate waiting months before getting Android updates.

what he said.

i have a galaxy nexus and a Sensation XE (that i reviewed  on headfi)  and while the xe is a lovey thing it bugs the carp out of me that it doesnt have jellybean.  I, like a i dare say many around here, am a bit of a crazy obsessive person.  i like things to be just so and running on old software drives me mad.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #204 of 904
Quote:
Anyways, here's my set up.
Galaxy Nexus running AOKP Rom 4.1 Jellybean with 007 kernel.
Pretty satisfied with it though am looking forward to new upgrade to either galaxy s3, galaxy note 2, or probably the next nexus phone :p. Going to decide after the new nexus comes out.
Good to know Sony is in the android game, can't wait to see what type of phones they will bring to the market in the future. Sony Xepria TX is not that bad in design though lacking a little in specs.

How do you like AOKP 4.1?  I ran Milestone 2 (I think) until stock JB came out on my Galaxy Nexus.  So far I enjoy stock JB but love the customization that AOKP allowed.

I get insanely good battery life on stock (rooted, overclocked, undervolted) JB though so not sure how the life is on AOKP.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #206 of 904
Quote:

How do you like AOKP 4.1?  I ran Milestone 2 (I think) until stock JB came out on my Galaxy Nexus.  So far I enjoy stock JB but love the customization that AOKP allowed.

I get insanely good battery life on stock (rooted, overclocked, undervolted) JB though so not sure how the life is on AOKP.

Sorry for the late response as I haven't checked in head-fi for a while xP.
Personally, I like AOKP 4.1 as it's pretty stabled for a daily driver as I love the customizable options from AOKP compared to stock rom.
Although there is no Milestone JB AOKP yet, with each official builds being released, there's more customizable options being added that has little bugs not to worry about.
Though everyone's opinions on customs roms differ to people, so you may have to try it out yourself to see how it is.  
As far the battery, I've been getting a decent amount of it compared from ICS (4-5 hours non stop on screen with both wifi/hspa, 3hours+ screen on with 24hours+ standby time with both wifi/hspa+) though don't know how it's compared to stock rom as I tend not to be on stock ever xD.
As for the battery goes, custom rom+custom kernel makes up the battery and can show better results for different phones than being on stock but as I said, you would need to try out these yourself to determine which gives you the better battery life.
If you need any other help, feel free to PM instead xP.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #207 of 904
I'll probably check it out, I might try a different rom until a Milestone build comes out.  Been awhile since I"ve used any CM rom so I may give that a shot.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #209 of 904
Wow you guys seem like MAD andriod Pros

Well I need an Andriod Phone [finally I'm getting a cell phone] And I'd like some help doing reaserach!

My budget is $100 I need an unlocked phone and ALL I need it to do is Browse Internet and run Digitally Imported App [so music]

Now I'm not 100% concerned with Music Quality... as I have portable set ups for that... but it needs to be able to play said music without any hard ware hang up or lagg

Here's what I've found so far... 

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini pro $120

LG Optimus GT540 Review $130

I'm open for anything cheaper that will WORK, I live in the US and I'm planning to use a service Called Straight Talk [I'm open to better [and I mean cheaper unlimited data]] services to! 

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #210 of 904
I've been on a BlackBerry forever (first one was a 6750, and been using them ever since.  Now I'm using a 9900).  But.. I'd like to try out Android. I messed around with my Dad's Galaxy Tab 10.1 with ICS for a week, and I really liked it.  I'd like to try out a phone.

I'm due for a subsidized hardware upgrade in February 2014, and I plan on getting a BB10 device at that time, but I thought I really should check out the competition.  So I am thinking that in the meantime I'd sell my Bold 9900 (I have a few accessories as well: leather pocket, spare battery, external battery charger, two docks) and buy an Android device (that I could buy directly with the dollars gained from selling my 9900).

Is the Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus the best Android devices of similar vintage to my 9900, that I could conceivably sell my 9900 for, or trade for?  Any other recommendations?  I'm fully okay with rooting a device and installing a non standard ROM.  I can't stand Touchwiz and Sense (that much I know from very brief forays with friends' 1X and GS3), so I'm hoping to use CM or similar, or vanilla JB.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back