Android-fi!
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #286 of 904
Quote:
No, the Nexus 7 did... when it ran with Ubuntu Linux instead of Android, it's a desktop OS. The DAC was some Creative USB go pro one.
rolleyes.gif

Oh darn.  Okay :frowning2:

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #287 of 904
Looking to update my mobile setup as well. Currently rocking the HTC hd2 with an installation of windows 7.8. This thing is really showing it's date. It really doesn't do anything other than browsing and phone work with the exception of the occasional app. Looking to get an updated Android phone, any specific recommendations? Looking mainly for something that will not cost me too-too much.(As in, a max of 300$) Perhaps a used One X?

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #288 of 904
Looking to update my mobile setup as well. Currently rocking the HTC hd2 with an installation of windows 7.8. This thing is really showing it's date. It really doesn't do anything other than browsing and phone work with the exception of the occasional app. Looking to get an updated Android phone, any specific recommendations?
I'm wanting the Note 2, hope that helps!

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #290 of 904
Edited my post to be more specific, the note 2 is way too much in terms of price, else i'd get it.
Oh, I thought you were getting a contract renewed with it, sorry. :frowning2:

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #291 of 904
Looking to update my mobile setup as well. Currently rocking the HTC hd2 with an installation of windows 7.8. This thing is really showing it's date. It really doesn't do anything other than browsing and phone work with the exception of the occasional app. Looking to get an updated Android phone, any specific recommendations? Looking mainly for something that will not cost me too-too much.(As in, a max of 300$) Perhaps a used One X?

How about a nexus 4?

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #293 of 904
Quote:
How about a nexus 4?

The Nexus 4 is the phone to get.  $300-$350 unlocked and direct from Google.  So you get pure Android experience and direct updates from Google.  You can pair it with a prepaid plan from StraightTalk with an AT&T or a TM SIM card, and pay just $45/month for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 2GB of data, with no contract.   If you don't use many minutes, you can go with a TM prepaid plan like I do: $30/month for 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 5GB of data, with no contract.   There really is no better deal out there right now for a high end phone and tons of carrier and plan options.  I recommend you visit reddit and go to the Android and Nexus4 subreddits to get more info !

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #294 of 904
Quote:
The Nexus 4 is the phone to get.  $300-$350 unlocked and direct from Google.  So you get pure Android experience and direct updates from Google.  You can pair it with a prepaid plan from StraightTalk with an AT&T or a TM SIM card, and pay just $45/month for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 2GB of data, with no contract.   If you don't use many minutes, you can go with a TM prepaid plan like I do: $30/month for 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 5GB of data, with no contract.   There really is no better deal out there right now for a high end phone and tons of carrier and plan options.  I recommend you visit reddit and go to the Android and Nexus4 subreddits to get more info !

Aye, that was what i was looking at. Then I realized it's not available in my country. The nexus 4 costs an unreasonable amount here, just as the gnex did ( 50ish dollars less then the s3, at the time)

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #295 of 904
OK, I guess I have to muster in this thread, I am a huge Android fan!  
beerchug.gif

My current phone is the Droid DNA, and yes, it is worth every penny and yes, that 5" 1080p screen is marvelous to behold!  Prior to that I had a TBolt and an OG Droid.

I also have a Nexus 7 that I love dearly.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #296 of 904
Quote:
Aye, that was what i was looking at. Then I realized it's not available in my country. The nexus 4 costs an unreasonable amount here, just as the gnex did ( 50ish dollars less then the s3, at the time)

Hmm, well if you can't pay that much, then maybe you should look at a used one X. Or even a used gNex.
Quote:
OK, I guess I have to muster in this thread, I am a huge Android fan!  
beerchug.gif

My current phone is the Droid DNA, and yes, it is worth every penny and yes, that 5" 1080p screen is marvelous to behold!  Prior to that I had a TBolt and an OG Droid.

I also have a Nexus 7 that I love dearly.

How is the battery life and 16GB of memory treating you?

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #297 of 904
Quote:
How is the battery life and 16GB of memory treating you?

I would like more storage, I have to admit that.

But the battery life has been a very pleasant surprise!

I was doubtful when I read the battery specs before it hit the streets.  And I did hold the DNA and the Samsung Note II in my hands before deciding on the DNA.  The Note II has a lot of great specs, including a much bigger battery, but it is way clunkier than the DNA. The DNA seems absolutely sleek when compared side by side!

But I have not once had a battery charge not last at least a full work shift.  I don't spend all day watching videos or playing games. If you do things like that then you may have batter life issues with this phone.  But if most of your work day you spend working, then you won't have any issues.  I read and respond to emails and texts all day long, cruise the Internet on break, and I have always had at least  15% battery left, usually more, when I get home at night.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #298 of 904
Quote:

I would like more storage, I have to admit that.

But the battery life has been a very pleasant surprise!

I was doubtful when I read the battery specs before it hit the streets.  And I did hold the DNA and the Samsung Note II in my hands before deciding on the DNA.  The Note II has a lot of great specs, including a much bigger battery, but it is way clunkier than the DNA. The DNA seems absolutely sleek when compared side by side!

But I have not once had a battery charge not last at least a full work shift.  I don't spend all day watching videos or playing games. If you do things like that then you may have batter life issues with this phone.  But if most of your work day you spend working, then you won't have any issues.  I read and respond to emails and texts all day long, cruise the Internet on break, and I have always had at least  15% battery left, usually more, when I get home at night.

Huh, that's interesting to hear. I was interested in either getting the Note II or DNA earlier this month, but then I realized that I'm satisfied enough with my Nexus for now... And then I spent all my money on headphones, haha
Though that does sound very nice. When I was working over the summer, my gNex couldn't go a full day of work on 4G before it would die, even with the extended battery.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #299 of 904
Quote:
Huh, that's interesting to hear. I was interested in either getting the Note II or DNA earlier this month, but then I realized that I'm satisfied enough with my Nexus for now... And then I spent all my money on headphones, haha
Though that does sound very nice. When I was working over the summer, my gNex couldn't go a full day of work on 4G before it would die, even with the extended battery.

I've heard that the radios are now unified, so 3g/4g and switching between has less of an impact on battery life.

I can't say everything is 100% perfect though, my Hotspot has been a bit flakey at times.  But knowing HTC like I do I'm sure they'll release an update that will improve things...

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #300 of 904
Quote:

I've heard that the radios are now unified, so 3g/4g and switching between has less of an impact on battery life.

I can't say everything is 100% perfect though, my Hotspot has been a bit flakey at times.  But knowing HTC like I do I'm sure they'll release an update that will improve things...

Huh, I guess that probably means 4G battery life is better and 3G battery life is worse? Oh well, sounds good to me.
Let us know if they fix it with an update...
Have you tried using a root app like wifi tether off of the market, or is that what you're using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back