[AND THE WINNER IS...] Which IEMs would you buy today as best sound isolators?
Jul 26, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfilm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question II: Is there any "burning" process the first time you use IEMs? Let's say, do you need to use them for five days in order to start appreciating the great sound?

Two different questions, really. Depends on the IEM if it needs a burn in period. Armature driven IEMs don't need burn in. Do the Etys use armatures?

Regardless, YOU may need a burn in period to get used to the new phones. I would say, yes, you need to give it a few days to get accustomed to the sound. Also, so you have time to tweak the fit and seal of the tips you ultimately settle on.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #33 of 45
Does it make any difference to turn a 3-flange into a 2-flange?

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

My first impressions with the 4P in terms of isolation:

- With the stock silicon tips, isolation works great at home (I don't hear people talking), but in the street/subway is not as great as I thought. I still feel that I can't get a great seal in the way I do it, or probably it's my strange ear canal.

look at some videos for inserting, pull on the top of your ear and open your mouth. personaly i don't get a great seal with silicon unless I use olive oil (good for your ears and you should be using it anyway for your ears health especially with IEMs) or wet it with some water. keep the liquids away from the opening of the tips. it makes the seal a LOT easier and as a result, you will get better bass. Quote:

- With the stock black foams: INCREDIBLE. I still can hear (though very opaque) somebody talking right in front of me if the music is very low, but guys, I got off the bus in Chinatown, NY, and it was like being in paradise! I only heard a noise when a Harley Davidson almost touched my ass... this is AWESOME-DANGEROUS!!!

yes, isolation is great but you really have to be aware in the city. foams are a LOT easier to get a seal on. Quote:

My main concern is the sound quality: I still have problems to get used to the low basses or lack of sound stage. I was using the cheapest Sony over-the-head before, and probably those are made with a higher volume and involving, I don't know... but I did find more detail in the Etys, though only at home in a quiet environment.

low bass will come with a better seal but in public, bass comes through isolation more than other frequencies, so it will be harder to hear it, which is why i recommended somethign with more bass like the SA6 OR using equalizer to taste when there is noise. sound stage well.. etys aren't exactly known for that. Quote:

I was disappointed with the horrible microphonic, and I also was a little disappointed with the volume level. I imagined that I had to use a very low volume for the great isolation, but I still need to use the same volume than using the cheap Sonys... mmm, probably I need to get used to them. I started using the Etys yesterday.

same volume in what way? volume on your mp3 player? ER4s are probably harder to drive and you are probably actually getting less SPL so its the same actual volume. as for microphonic, use a shirt clip or go over the ear. Quote:

Question: should I try cutting a 3-silicone into a 2-silicone? Try a Comply or Olive?

i recommend it, you dont quite get the amazing isolation of 3 silicone but better than foam AND a lot more comfortable and easy to insert. olives are good for easy insertion and are like foams. also you can clean them unlike foam.
never tried comply. Quote:

Question II: Is there any "burning" process the first time you use IEMs? Let's say, do you need to use them for five days in order to start appreciating the great sound?

yes, to start appreciating.

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #35 of 45
Doomz, thanks a lot for your detail info!

After the third day, I'm falling in love with the Etys. Now I rediscovered sounds in old songs, and also I realized that they sound lot better in the MacBook than in the iTouch. Why is that?

Silicone now seals better, but still I know I must learn to improve the seal. Can you rank the following in terms of sealing?

. Ety's 3-silicone
. Ety's turned into 2-silicon
. Ety's foam
. Shure's olive

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #36 of 45
Did somebody try to convert a 3-flange silicone Ety into a 2-flange? How can I do it? Is it worthy?

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Did somebody try to convert a 3-flange silicone Ety into a 2-flange? How can I do it? Is it worthy?

Use a razor blade, sharp scissors, etc. to chop off the smallest flange. Make sure to do it neatly. Be careful!

If you have more than one pair it's worth a try. I prefer the bi-flange to tri-flange. Actually the ER6 that I bought came with bi-flange tips.

Foam tips are my no.1 choice.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #38 of 45
Wow... I was so sure I had to chop off the third one... hahah. Thanks Dane. Did anybody else try to chop the first one?

I would love to get one free Shure Olive to try before spending 15-20 bucks... though I'm just getting demanding, cause to be honest I'm really getting used to the 3-flange for regular use. Foam only for trips because it isolates too much.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #39 of 45
I was researching a little about the best synergy between the ER4P and a portable amplifier under $100/$150. A few agree that Minibox-D is one of the best options. Some other thoughts?

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #40 of 45
Westone UM2's of course. Why aren't they included in your poll? Oh well....they have great sound isolation and comfort!

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #41 of 45
I know the UM2s are fantastic, but they were out of my budget. I only considered brand new, and they were $299. I bought the ER4P at $159.

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #42 of 45
After 130 votes, if we group the results by brand, we have:

Etymotic: 61 (46.92%)
Sleek Audio: 24 (18.46%)
FreQ: 15 (11.54%)
Shure: 13 (10%)
Ultimate Ears: 11 (8.46%)
Future Sonics: 6 (4.62%)

What I can tell after two weeks using the ER4P is that I'm completely satisfied and fascinated by the isolation and sound quality. I'm even used to the 3-flange tips which I found uncomfortable and non-sealing for the first 2-3 days. I'm a new Etymotic's fan, and in the near future I'll definitely go for the P-to-S converter + some portable amplifier.

Thanks all of you who shared your knowledge and also voted in the poll!

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #44 of 45
ETY ER4P: Beyond comfort or seal, has anybody found a better sound with the Olives or mod'ed Etys 3-flange?

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #45 of 45
It's awesome to see people still voting for this. After 152 votes, if we group the results by brand, we have:

Etymotic: 72 (47.37%)
Sleek Audio: 27 (17.76%)
FreQ: 17 (11.18%)
Shure: 16 (10.53%)
Ultimate Ears: 13 (8.55%)
Future Sonics: 7 (4.61%)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back