[AND THE WINNER IS...] Which IEMs would you buy today as best sound isolators?
Jul 16, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Altec IM716? It's got drivers from Etymotic, and I've seen great reviews of it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER4P and also a S adapter

FMT is spot on. im716s, particularly depodded, are nice but not a match for the ER4P, particularly when you upgrade it (later, when more budget is available) with an Apuresound recable.
wink.gif

1. As others have said, it's the tips that will determine your isolation level/success - you'll need to find what works absolutely best for you.
2. Best detail, cleanest overall sound and you can get a different, some say much improved with the right amplification, SQ by using the P-to-S adapter.
3. They're all below your maximum spend so why compromise on the best SQ for this level of dollars - you'll be using them for a long time so the longterm cost benefit will be reasonable with all of your options
4. Ety have an excellent Warranty/Customer Service reputation (I've never had to use them but FMT has received good service).
5. Quite adaptable, not just to various ear tips but by aforementioned recabling and 'S' adpater options.

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 45
OK, so I have THREE finalists, all on $200.

a) ETY ER4P + S adapter
b) SLEEK SA6
c) SHURE SE310

Should I make a new last triple-match poll? Or discard one, and then make a last face-to-face mortal kombat?

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfilm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so I have THREE finalists, all on $200.

a) ETY ER4P + S adapter
b) SLEEK SA6
c) SHURE SE310

Should I make a new last triple-match poll? Or discard one, and then make a last face-to-face mortal kombat?

Why waste time and effort? Assuming same voters again, 10 votes for Etys. 17 votes to be split between the three options - unless most of those 17 swing to one of the other options the chances are you'll still end up with the Etys in front. It's not a sure thing but I think you've got a pretty clear indication of the answer to your original question.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #19 of 45
Yeah... you're kind of right, webbie. Except that probably the Atrios and the FreQs vote for SA6. I don't know, probably I'm infected with the Obama-Hilary thing... the "swing" voters could define the winner.

Actually, from 30 voters, 14 voted for Etymotic, 6 for Sleek, and 10 spread around. From those 10, two voting Ety would define the elections. But if the 10 non-Etymotic prefer the SA6, big surprise!

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #20 of 45
Consider that you have two ER-4's in the poll, which are identical in isolation...all that's different is impedance, so lump the P & S votes together in your recount. No hanging chads!

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #21 of 45
That's correct Mr. Monkey.

Vote count: 40

ETY P/S --> 20
SA6 --> 9

Others --> 11

That's why I say that if all the "others" support the Sleeks, it could be tight... But I think you can't vote twice in these polls, so the guys who voted others can't vote now...

I'll need to recount from the thread. Or create a new poll.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #22 of 45
With Sleeks being pretty close in price to the ER4S/P, I'd say go with those if only for the ability to change the sound signature. But like others have said, isolation is dependent on the tips you use. You could always stick a Ety triflange onto a Sleek if you want.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #23 of 45
Your ear shape and tip selections will play a big role, but I find that the SE series from Shure are best for isolation followed closely by Etymotics. The downside to the Etymotic line, however, is that their horrible microphonics are very counterproductive. Unless of course you can stop breathing the entire time you listen to your music...
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #24 of 45
The SE310 is in my top-3 selection, with the Ety ER4P+S and the SA6. The decision is really hard. But I do find Etys and Sleeks with more options (the possibility to convert P-to-S and add amp in Etys, or the possibility of sound signatures and replaceable cables in Sleeks)

What can you say about SHURE as a uniqueness?

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #26 of 45
Wow, the vote count has SA6 getting closer to the 4P (though 4P + P-to-S double SA6), and I wonder for all those who voted FreQ...

...is it worthy against the Ety or Sleek even if it's the entry-level single-driver Control FreQ?

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #27 of 45
Voted ER-4S - on the assumption that you're lumping S with P....
smily_headphones1.gif

Preference: P w/ S cable.

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #28 of 45
Well, according to the preliminary results, the Etys P+S are winning and SA6 are second. Very, very close to the SA6 we have the Control FreQ, so Shure it's practically out of competition.

My doubts now with the Control FreQs are that there aren't threads about them. Most of the customs avoid the entry-level. I wonder if the Control can beat the 4P+S or the SA6...

Anybody here has the Controls and has/had the Etys or SA6?

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #30 of 45
My first impressions with the 4P in terms of isolation:

- With the stock silicon tips, isolation works great at home (I don't hear people talking), but in the street/subway is not as great as I thought. I still feel that I can't get a great seal in the way I do it, or probably it's my strange ear canal.
- With the stock black foams: INCREDIBLE. I still can hear (though very opaque) somebody talking right in front of me if the music is very low, but guys, I got off the bus in Chinatown, NY, and it was like being in paradise! I only heard a noise when a Harley Davidson almost touched my ass... this is AWESOME-DANGEROUS!!!

My main concern is the sound quality: I still have problems to get used to the low basses or lack of sound stage. I was using the cheapest Sony over-the-head before, and probably those are made with a higher volume and involving, I don't know... but I did find more detail in the Etys, though only at home in a quiet environment.

I was disappointed with the horrible microphonic, and I also was a little disappointed with the volume level. I imagined that I had to use a very low volume for the great isolation, but I still need to use the same volume than using the cheap Sonys... mmm, probably I need to get used to them. I started using the Etys yesterday.

Question: should I try cutting a 3-silicone into a 2-silicone? Try a Comply or Olive?

Question II: Is there any "burning" process the first time you use IEMs? Let's say, do you need to use them for five days in order to start appreciating the great sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back