and the prize for the ultimate wireless surround headphones goes to.....
Sep 20, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 11
well specifically whats your budget? maybe we can suggest something better?

Sep 20, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 11
Just want a great movie listening experience to go with the Qualia 70'' on order. Right now just using Grado SR60s without any surround processing. The Yamaha A/V receiver I've settled on has something called 'silent cinema' which I take to mean their version of dolby headphone. I'm not counting on it for my sound solution. No wires would be nice but not essential with headphones for me and my partner. No hard budget.

Sep 20, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 11
well im not an expert but something with a cable would be nice as you can amp it and pre-amp etc. all that can bring out the headphones true potential.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 11
if you spent that much on a tv buy yourself some nice headphones and amp set up, you mentioned you have soemeone else that would be watching movies with you, so buy two sets. seriously.. 70" tv.. dont skimp on audio. for movies you might want to consider headphones that have a prominent midrange, making speech clear. also, by going wired you can buy much better sounding equipment for less money.

you could get qualia headphones to go with the qualia tv, although people around here dont seem to like them so much. i havent heard them and have no idea what they sound like, but they sure do look amazing.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 11
From what I've read the Audio-Technica ATH-DCL3000 takes the top spot.

The cool part is that you can buy an 800C and the 3000 headset. Apparently they're compatible (haven't tested it myself, but other head-fiers have). That solution will save you ~300$ (the price of an extra 3000 headset) but you won't have any nifty remote.

I don't know if you can do it coupled with a 2000C, but I assume they're compatible.

Edit: I have no feedback info on the AKG Hearo 999 Audiosphere 2 though, so my thoughts don't take it into consideration.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd heard the AT3000's were reference quality so didn't think I was compromising on the sound side. What if I go corded Sen 595s or whatever is today's model, DT770's or what else do you suggest for movie soundtracks?

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 11
ive read people really enjoy 595's for movies. its open but if youre watching the same movie anyways then who cares.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 11
If reading the spec sheet of the HEARO 999 Audiosphere II and AKG's reputation doesn't convince you of its superiority, then listening to it will convince you within 10 seconds.

Going on 4 years now with my HEARO 999 setup, and it has been one glorious listening experience. Considering that you can use the transmitter base as a DAC, and theater surround processor, and audio system preamp means it was one of the greatest buys in audio of all time, but many people were too dense to comprehend what it offered.

Being a pro product didn't seem to help matters any. The sobbery of high end audio teaches people to avoid pro gear. If people got addicted to pro gear, they might get better products at a lower price, and that's not good for high end audio business. Denon DL103 phono cartridge is another example, used in radio broadcast all over the world.

The only problem with the HEARO 999 is that strong radio transmitters (cell phones) can interfere with its operation. It is digital RF transmission, not IR. That is the reason for superior sound quality over other wireless systems.....and the fact AKG designed it.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 11
I had the DS8000's The system was pretty good, in the instruction manual they STRONGLY recommended the MDR-F1's   if you wanted to plug headphones in the front headphone jack of the surround unit (at that point I bought 3 pairs). I still have the MDR-f1's I sold a pair off to help fund the HD800's. I use the MDR-F1's with my PC, combined with a Creative Audigy 2zs platinum pro card the effect is DARN close to the DS8000, but the DS8000 still edged it out, that and the headtracking was a trip, you could turn your head and the virtual speakers would stay in place, very awesome, but if you turned your head too fast you would have to press the reset button to realign the virtual speakers with the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back