Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Apr 1, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #3,301 of 3,814
 Anyone can help me to find some  Kobe Kogyo Corp. "Ten" 3S4  ?  
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,303 of 3,814
Has anybody used the TU-05 with the Chord Hugo? When I put the Hugo into line out mode the TU-05 sounds totally overdriven, like a Les Paul with the volume maxed into a tube amp. Turning down the Hugo gets rid of the distortion. 
Initial impression: pretty good combo. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #3,304 of 3,814
@Sam Edwards - had a quick look at the specs of the Chord Hugo (but don´t know the line out mode specification):

THD – 1KHz 3V output: 0.0005%

the standard distortion free line in level usually is 2V pp, so if the Chord Hugo is able to output 3V the distortion you faced can be expected and also your solution is ok to lower the output level of the chord Hugo. The only point i wonder why there is a line out mode with non standard high level.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #3,306 of 3,814
Found and yesterday won the auction for a set of five tubes WITH one TEN 3S4 included, so now the second TEN 3s4 is on its way!

Lucky you ! I am still waiting for finding 2 "Ten" :frowning2:

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #3,307 of 3,814
Has anybody used the TU-05 with the Chord Hugo? When I put the Hugo into line out mode the TU-05 sounds totally overdriven, like a Les Paul with the volume maxed into a tube amp. Turning down the Hugo gets rid of the distortion. 
Initial impression: pretty good combo. 

Is the SQ of HUGO>Tu-05>headphone really better than direct HUGO>Headphone ? What headphone are you using ?

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #3,308 of 3,814
Hey Bmichels,
I shouldn't have said said anything. Hugo is still breaking on. Headphones are in my signature.
Hugo would probably sound great with dime store earbuds.
Back on topic...

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,310 of 3,814

TU-05 USB CHARGING MOD:

here is my final solution i will try to modify the tu-05 to be completely functional and chargeable via USB:

this is a ready to use USB Li-Ion-charger module to charge a 3.7 volt Li-ion battery (or two in parallel) with 500mA over USB:

to use this module the internal battery has to be replaced by two 18650 Li-Ion 3.7 volt batteries with internal protection circuit connected in parallel. the internal power supply board should also work with 3.7 instead of 7.4 volt as both integrated circuits used for the step-up (anode voltage) and step-down (filament voltage) converters can operate (with reference to the datasheets) with any voltage of 3 volts and up (but maybe slightly less efficient).

i will definetely test this!

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #3,311 of 3,814
Well, my TU-05 will be finished in 15 days =D.
Ive just started reading this thread, is there any combo tube that sounds best with it?
Do you guys know any Tube Store in Tokyo?

Regards! ^^

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,312 of 3,814
Hey Chefano,
Mostly we scour Ebay. I would search the thread for 'tubes' and see what you find. The current benchmark seems to be the 'ten'. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,313 of 3,814
Also note that one owner spent a year trying different tubes and ended up going back to the stock ones from Shikada San.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #3,314 of 3,814
Well, my TU-05 will be finished in 15 days =D.
Ive just started reading this thread, is there any combo tube that sounds best with it?
Do you guys know any Tube Store in Tokyo?

Regards! ^^

Congratulations on your new amp!

Looking at what comes with it now I would wait and listen to the stock tubes, they are excellent all rounders I feel. Let them settle in over twenty hours to eradicate any possible noises. If you go to the beginning of this thread you will see post three by me gives links to various posts here that recommend tubes and also link to cleaning the pins.

When you get the amp take the tubes out and follow the instructions on cleaning the pins. It makes a difference doing that. Often you might hear what sounds like tissue paper being scrunched that is usually dirty pins. You may hear other noises when the amp is playing quiet passages. If they go after the twenty hour mark your tubes should be fine. If they remain then some new tubes are a good idea.

Remember, you can only get NOS tubes for these, nothing is being made new anymore.

I hope you enjoy your new amp. I have had mine now for 15 months and is has proven to be the best HiFi purchase I have ever made!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back