An update with the sturdyness of Titanium--MOONRIVER 2 Ti is here.
Jul 16, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #31 of 47
@povidlo I understand you are doing direct compaisons but I cant help but hear the decision to slightly smear the 7khz ish area Im guessing to prevent sibilance. Interestingly that particular effect gives vocals a almost tube like milky experence. Its a nice sound. Reminds me alot of how A&K tunes but is alot less forgiving then them. To be honest because of the milky lower treble cymbals sounds kind of off since it the hit sounds rich and thick but the fray/reverb almost sounds E-stat like, its kind of jaring.

Not sure about the bass part. Seems to dig down deep with the Quad ERA-1. But I guess the mild A shape tuning can make it kind of sound reserved due to the forwardness of the mids. Otherwise the detail and physically of the bass is really nice imo but its more towards the technical side over the thick and textured.

The best part of the MR2Ti imo is the stage and imaging. It both projects a large stage but all the instruments and nice and tight. Quite a rarity for dongle-fi.

One thing to note is that the included C to C isnt rugged enough for the abuse of daily use. Died on me within one week of use. Otherwise its still good if you use it as a portable tabletop dac/amp.
i find that different ak units sound different, depending on chip, etc. my sa700-vg is warm, while my acro ca1k is neutral-cold. i had ak sr25 with same cirrus dac chips, i think mr2ti sounds thicker and more engaging. sr25 is more accurate and neutral. in terms of vocals, i feel like rendering is pretty well done as they sound fairly realistic and lifted from the mix on mr2ti. bass is well done too, but there's definetly more mid and upper bass bias than sub bass which is giving out warmth. stock cable is garbage (as the case with all dongles), i strongly suggest to pick up a ddhifi model. interesting that you're driving a full sized planar with low sensitivy and low impedance with this dongle. Such headphones usually require tons of current to be properly driven, which is something dongles cannot provide due to not having their own power supply. i've been using mine so far with iems like ie900 and harmonicdyne p.d.1.

Jul 16, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #32 of 47
i find that different ak units sound different, depending on chip, etc. my sa700-vg is warm, while my acro ca1k is neutral-cold. i had ak sr25 with same cirrus dac chips, i think mr2ti sounds thicker and more engaging. sr25 is more accurate and neutral. in terms of vocals, i feel like rendering is pretty well done as they sound fairly realistic and lifted from the mix on mr2ti. bass is well done too, but there's definetly more mid and upper bass bias than sub bass which is giving out warmth. stock cable is garbage (as the case with all dongles), i strongly suggest to pick up a ddhifi model. interesting that you're driving a full sized planar with low sensitivy and low impedance with this dongle. Such headphones usually require tons of current to be properly driven, which is something dongles cannot provide due to not having their own power supply. i've been using mine so far with iems like ie900 and harmonicdyne p.d.1.
Yeah I was thinking of picking a ddhifi C to C as well.

Yeah good point on the various AK daps. I was thinking of SR25 and kann max since those 2 daps and they had that anti sib time smear effect to smoothen the sound.

To be honest the ERA 1 isn't particularly difficult to drive. Also I was running off a desktop so the usb had full power. Granted the MR2Ti was pretty toasty after the listening session. Or maybe I'm biased due to dailying hard to drive iems like the tri starshine that requires both a good voltage and current gain to drive properly.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #33 of 47
I agree. This is a nice and smooth version of their original MR2 which was very bright sounding. I do wish the LED behind the the glass/plastic wasn’t so bright and could be dimmed down but overall, I’m very happy with this release from Moondrop
LED light can be toggled off with the app, fyi. It is annoying and bright as hell when on.

Screenshot_20230721_105105_MOONDROP Link.jpg

Jul 22, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #37 of 47
Has anyone compared this to the RU7 or UA5? Not sure which one to go for
UA5 is more detailed but at the end of the day its still shanling sound so combined with how sabre sounds you get a warm and fast and to my ears have too short a sustain. Very good for metal and electronic music but on slower more instrument focused songs it can sound abit off. Can rec conditionally that you want the best most detailed dongle at the expense of abit of off timbre.

The Moonriver Ti on the other hand isnt as fast and more "tubey" in that its slower more warm and showcases microdetails in a natural way. While it cant beat the Drive or macro detail of the UA5 what the Ti excells at is it sounds natural and cohesesive and feels like you can hear every last micro detail.

RU7 I simply do not like and feels that its using one of those bad software DSD conversion that strips proper dynamics. I'm sure someone that owns and likes the RU7 can do a better discription of the sound.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #38 of 47
What i think he wants is a hardware button press combination to quickly switch between high and low gain.

Also for me can you update the link app to include NOS filter for the moonriver Ti. It can be done in whan using the double button press but on the app there is no way to select that filter.
How do you know NOS filter is selected through buttons press? Is it the one that makes led blink twice?

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #39 of 47
How do you know NOS filter is selected through buttons press? Is it the one that makes led blink twice?
Its mostly due to knowing how CS filters modify the sound though my DX300 and KA5 as well as being able to select it on the older link app and that when I cycle to NOS though hardware on the updated app none of the buttons are hilighted.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #42 of 47
Sep 10, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #44 of 47
is there a way to enable line out / fixed voltage, ala cayin ru7?

i don't see an option in the app, yet line out levels are provided in official specs.

1694359931224.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back