An unusual case design
Dec 26, 2006 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

j4cbo

100+ Head-Fier
I'm reposting this from inside another thread on HeadWize, since this forum gets more traffic.

I was playing around with case designs over the vacation, and came up with this...

art2.jpg

- Based on the new Kevin Gilmore Dyna-GBF-FET design
- The base is 10" by 12"; room for two Power One HCC24-2.4-A supplies, +/-24V at 2.4A each
- Boards are 2.5" diameter; columns are 6" tall
- Outer supports are 3/16" threaded rod with 1/4" brass tubing over it
- Inner column is 1/2" diameter, but it could be increased to 3/4"
- Inter-stage connections are lined up board-to-board, vertically
- Power and output connections go through the center column
- Heatsinks are not pictured, but Aavid has plenty in the right range (< 16 C/W)

Thoughts?
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't see this as any less crazy than exposed tubes in a tube amp. someone's finally gotta step up and give some eye candy to the solid state fanatics out there! go for it!

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Hmm... interesting, but I wonder if the signal path is made to be unnecesarily spread over too large a volume in space, might catch interference more easily?

One other thing, don't see heat sinks for those transistors on top, I guess the towers are missing some kind of "crowns" of heat sinks.

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Put some glass capsules over them and you will get "SS tubes" make cutting a bottle or a lab test tubes or so....

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 15
It's spread over a relatively large area, but the divisions between boards line up well with the different stages:
- 1st (bottom): input
- 2nd: VAS, current sources for the input, and servo
- 3rd: Diamond buffers and their current sources
- 4th: Output FETs

If interference is a problem, one could put some sort of shielding around the input section, but still leave the upper part of the tower open.

ampsh.jpg

(Those board layouts took for-freaking-ever to get right - there's just not much room left after taking out the center area and four corners. But it all fits!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! I love it!

Group buy?

The parts cost is in the $800-$1000 range, which is a bit more than I can spare at the moment... fortunately renderings are free
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you went to an industrial design school, you would have flunked out long ago.
wink.gif

I never said it was "tasteful", just "interesting"
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 15
Wow thats pretty interesting looking. I can't wait to see you build it. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back