An Introduction - Head-Fi TV, Episode 001
Mar 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #62 of 105
this is great news. Looking forward to forthcoming reviews. Hey jude that's a pretty substantial watch your wearing, looks like a panerai?

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #63 of 105
Good idea, hopefully we will see these more than the newsletter.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #64 of 105
Quote:
omg Jude is Asian! 
tongue_smile.gif

Great idea! Would love to see more of these things. Could use some more montage magic though. 
regular_smile .gif
 And a theme song! Jingle?

I'm 100% Irish.  I thought the freckles would have given that away. 
wink.gif

As for the montage magic:  I'm trying to keep these as simple as possible, so that we can more easily produce them.  As we get better at it--assuming we get better at it--we'll probably get more adventurous.

Regarding a theme song:  I'm going to see what I can do about getting some music.  It might take a while, though; so, for now, it's just straight to my manly man voice.

Quote:
is it possible also to have something like an itunes subscription system where we can download the videos (for those in countries where youtube is blocked e.g. China, Egpyt) (Maybe free vodcast? 720 high definition with a very good mike..)

Yes, we plan on making this and future episodes available via iTunes.  I'll let you know when that's set.

Quote:
Whoa, I totally expected a different sounding voice.

Yes, the stentorian, James Earl Jones presence of my voice is shocking at first (I'm kidding).  My voice sounds a bit different when I'm talking loud than when I'm talking in a more conversational voice--and I was talking loud in this one.

That said, I'm curious what you were expecting.  LOL.

Quote:
Hi Jude,  if you can do a series of manufacturer visits, manufacturing process of some of the flagship headphone, etc, that will be fabulous.  Headfiers will appreciate much more how good their headphones are and it is also a way manufacturers can promote. 

eg.This one tell us how the AKG K702 is made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LbsQRaQD6A

Video of gatherings/meetings will also be nice, as head-fi members are all over the world and probably most of us cannot attend but love to see what's going on.

my 1 cent.

Several years ago I went to Ireland and visited Sennheiser's remarkable factory there.  I wasn't allowed to shoot much in the way of photos there (due to trade secrets, etc., and if you saw the place you'd understand why), so I'm not sure if they'd let me shoot video.  Next time I make it back that way, I'll stop in and see (though there are no immediate plans to be out that way).  Wadia is nearby, so maybe we can go shoot some video there.

As for gatherings/meets, I think that would be fun.  I think we're due for a meet here in the Metro Detroit area sometime soon, so I may start with some footage from that.  Trade shows could be fun, too.  There's RMAF in October, and CES next January.

Quote:
Way cool.

Jude it's kind of funny but you look really PO'd in the still frame before you start the video
beyersmile.png

With YouTube, you have a choice of a few different screen captures to choose for that.  That was the goofiest looking one, so I went with it.

Quote:
Jude, you're not going to include that video of me dancing in my underwear, are you?

The moderator initiation ceremony is not for public discussion.  Do not bring it up in the forums again.

Quote:
Looks good... would look better in HD! 
wink.gif

Isn't that desktop image on my computer's monitor (in the video) one you created?  No wonder you want to see this thing in HD. 
wink.gif

(Great desktop image, by the way--thanks so much for that.)

As for all the requests for HD:  We may do that.  But then you might realize my skin isn't flawless and porcelain-like.

Quote:
Nice going. A step forward, definetly. The title says it's an introduction. And it is. We need "real" content soon :)

We just shot some unboxing video today (of the Practical Devices XM6, and the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo).

I've never had occasion to shoot an unboxing video before, so we'll see how it turns out.

Quote:
Nice Jude!
   Always thinking outside the box,Since you are going to be a internet star maybe next time I see you I should get your autograph
biggrin.gif

If you want to book an autograph session, you can call my agent at CAA. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
This is a great idea. I love it already. I will be the twentieth person who asked for HD, but hey, as of now I use WAV for most of my music on my DAPS (got to stop that
biggrin.gif
). Make sure that you give adequate attention to the budget segment, especially cheap mods. My $26 modded Koss KSC75 sounds at least $50, and would be enough for me if I didn't really love good sound. People love the inexpensive gems as well as the all out champions. I am sure you will give the upcoming multi (ten) thousand dollar Sennneheiser Orpheus 2 a great review, as well as the Audeze LCD-3 and the Hifiman HE-7. A man has to dream!
beerchug.gif

We might open up the submission of videos from the community.  When I put a wrench to something, it usually stops working somewhere in the process, and I can't solder worth a penny--so if we're going to do modification and DIY videos, it'll probably come from community video submissions.

Who told you about the Orpheus 2, LCD-3 and HE-7?  All three sound fantastic, by the way.  (I'm kidding, of course.)

Quote:
this is great news. Looking forward to forthcoming reviews. Hey jude that's a pretty substantial watch your wearing, looks like a panerai?

No, it's a Hamilton.  I love it, because it lets me keep track of time in three different timezones, which is very helpful for me.

Quote:
Good idea, hopefully we will see these more than the newsletter.

You'll see more newsletters soon, too.

Earlier someone mentioned the Head-Fi Magazine we were going to do.  That project had to be shelved, as the person who was going to do all the graphics and layout was unexpectedly called away for intense work-related assignments.  So I then tried working it in Adobe InDesign myself, and the results were (to put it mildly) really bad.

The video is much easier to do (thanks mostly to joe).  And since videos are generally expected to be shorter (we're going to try to keep each episode to well under ten minutes), we're forced to keep it really simple.  I like that.  The way a typical day goes for me, simple is very good.

As for the video quality:  Again, we may do HD-quality videos.  However, because I may occasionally shoot videos with whatever camera I have on hand, some segments might end up being shot with compact cameras, or even my phone; so the video quality may vary, and some audio may be stereo, while others are in mono--again, depending on what we're using at the time.

Thanks so much for the positive reception, all.

Again, we just shot a couple of unboxings today, and expect to put out another short video next week, so please stay tuned!

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #67 of 105
Quote:
Isn't that desktop image on my computer's monitor (in the video) one you created?  No wonder you want to see this thing in HD. 
wink.gif

(Great desktop image, by the way--thanks so much for that.)

As for all the requests for HD:  We may do that.  But then you might realize my skin isn't flawless and porcelain-like.

Oh right on! I didn't even realize, definitely want HD now!

If in the near future you're looking to make some kind of an intro (like Diggnation) give me a shout, I can help with the graphics.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #68 of 105

Quote:
I'm 100% Irish.  I thought the freckles would have given that away. 
wink.gif

Yes, the stentorian, James Earl Jones presence of my voice is shocking at first (I'm kidding).  My voice sounds a bit different when I'm talking loud than when I'm talking in a more conversational voice--and I was talking loud in this one.

That said, I'm curious what you were expecting.  LOL.
We just shot some unboxing video today (of the Practical Devices XM6, and the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo).

Hah, I'm Asian too and have actually managed to convince people I'm Irish... for some random reason I can do a very good Irish accent. I don't know why.

As for the voice, I guess I was expecting something more... Asian? You sound like you were born here or at least moved here at a relatively young age. Not that I should judge; I'm Canadian born and have been told I sound like I have the voice of a black preacher when I'm on the radio.

I'm really curious about the XM6... Practical Devices has done a rather underwhelming job of promoting their new product and impressions/reviews are scarce.

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #72 of 105
Another reason to call Head-Fi my home when I want to get away from home.

I'm hoping that as further videos are produced, they feature close shots of gear in hand (or on head) to help viewers get a sense for the material nature of the thing?  Review videos, for example, won't have to be long - just dynamic in the way they present information.  I like Runner's World's videos of running shoes they review as an example of packing lots of pertinent information into a short spot: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--13825-0,00.html

I think I'm echoing some of the other hopes and uncertainties others have for maximizing this new form; I guess we all have great expectations for what can be done with it!

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #73 of 105

Quote:
is it possible also to have something like an itunes subscription system where we can download the videos (for those in countries where youtube is blocked e.g. China, Egpyt) (Maybe free vodcast? 720 high definition with a very good mike..)

just use some proxy man. you can find here newest proxy sites .. go there, click at any link, in new opened website type youtube URL and click surf. that's it :wink:
Enjoy!

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #74 of 105
Great job Jude! This will help all us noobs get a more hands on 'idea' of the equipment we hope to get ... soon
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for all the time+effort you put into Head-Fi so we can all enjoy! (as we both know, time is a scarce commodity when you are a parent!!)
cheers, rysiek    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back