An Interview With John Grado
Jan 22, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #392 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
there are new Street Styles on the horizon (December release date)

I so wish this had stayed true. Oh well, March now right?

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #393 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I so wish this had stayed true. Oh well, March now right?

Yeah - I also wish they would have come out already but March isn't far away.
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #395 of 485
No idea how much isolation...but I wouldn't expect anything IEM-like. These will be supraaural I suspect. In my mind I am thinking something akin to the Sony Streetstyles, though I can't cofirm that.

As for it not hitting in December, well, I think I wrote this in the write-up but if not, basically, John releases stuff when it's ready. It simply was not ready at the end of 2005, but I do know they are on their way to being released. As in, sooner than later. If March is what is predicted by John, (on the website?) then I suspect that will come true.

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #396 of 485
I bought the SR-40's right before they sold completely out. I don't understand why they weren't popular at their price point. They rock. Now the only problem is feeling like I have to treat them gently as they aren't made any more. Ironic.

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #397 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubsdaddy
I bought the SR-40's right before they sold completely out. I don't understand why they weren't popular at their price point. They rock. Now the only problem is feeling like I have to treat them gently as they aren't made any more. Ironic.

Headphones are meant to be used. Use em!
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #399 of 485
...or even May...
rolly15x18.gif

May 17, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #400 of 485
Not all music sound the best on any given headphones - and I do love Grados on female vocal, but on some acoustic instruments, they fail to capture the magic. Especially true on violin - sounds tiny, and lacks body to the sound. Many of the US and Japanese audio fail in this respect.

Europians have done a better job with classical music instruments - after all, it's their culture...

Granted that 90 some % of the listeners are non-classical music lovers, but violin is heard in most of the pop music accompaniment.

If you have a chance, you might want to mention this to the Grado people.
I do love their audiophile quality, so I want to see them do even better at reproducing classical acoustic instruments.

To some people, realism is important part of enjoying music. If the Grado people heard a Stradivarius violin alive, or a Steinway piano in a concert (front seat by the way), this experience might produce new wonderful products.

I want to thank them for the sr60 - what a improvement over stock headphones that come with mp3, at a reasonable price. Very comfy too - we all know how improtant that can be.

May 17, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #401 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonglee
Especially true on violin - sounds tiny, and lacks body to the sound.

Funny, I always found the RS-1's did the violin the greatest merit, then the R10, particularly for tone and timber. Maybe all my violins have been broken? Or I have a tin ear, but I've played violin or viola for 15 years and think the sound is very close.

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #402 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Funny, I always found the RS-1's did the violin the greatest merit, then the R10, particularly for tone and timber. Maybe all my violins have been broken? Or I have a tin ear, but I've played violin or viola for 15 years and think the sound is very close.

With the flats, the RS-1 makes a violin sound real and right there.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #403 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
With the flats, the RS-1 makes a violin sound real and right there.

i couldn't agree more.
rs1smile.gif

however, i personally prefer my violins to sound slightly distant (i.e. row 3 instead of right next to the violinist), so reverse bowls are my thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #405 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonglee
I do love Grados on female vocal, but on some acoustic instruments, they fail to capture the magic. Especially true on violin - sounds tiny, and lacks body to the sound. Europians have done a better job with classical music instruments - after all, it's their culture...

Hi. I am hardpressed to find a finer example of proper psychoacoustics in a headphone when listening to the Violin or any stringed instrument than the Grado RS-1. This incl elect setups, the K1K, HE90/60, OmegaII, R10, HP1/2/3, and the O.

The RS-1 seems to be the most itimate and closest audible depiction to stringed instrumentation. I thought I had auditioned with failure most other European HP's, tell me gonglee, which Euro HP have done a better job with music intruments and on what model, am curious
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back