An IEM with Eterna like bass and soundstage, But Forward Vocals
Mar 20, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #16 of 23
Thanks you truly do know your stuff, something that comes with experiences with many iem's.

Quote:
I don't hear the mids of TF10 to be as recessed as most people here do. It has excellent bass with great attack, speed & punch along with good treble. But, fit is horrible for most people. Even though I have nothing to complain about fit and seal, I don't like how they stick out of my ears
rolleyes.gif
. I consider TF10 to be an out and out fun IEM - something I can enjoy once I have them in my ears. Not many people here consider them so (except may be clieOS, mvw2 and few others). But, mids and Vocals are not the strong areas for TF10. TF10 might sound a tad artificial with vocals, which is why I did not include it in my short list. But, if you are prepared to experiment with fit, by all means take a chance.

Would DBA-02 suit your requirement? I doubt it. The bass would seem deficient coming from Eterna for sure. It's sound stage is not as spacious either. When I think of DBA-02, I remember the treble. Coming from Eterna, it may be a handful to handle as I read that Eterna's treble is largely inoffensive on the ears.

Do I like it? Yes. It is one of the few fatigue free IEMs I have despite the fact that it's treble is not something suitable for my tastes. Another reason why I like the M2 is that I can listen at much lower volume than most other IEMs (through Clip+). So, even in noisy environments, it gives me plenty of headroom.

M2's bass is soft and smooth on the ears. The bass is fine with texture, quantity and details, but it lacks the extension and punch. ECCI PR401 does better in that regard. M2 fits your requirement of forward midrange with good bass. It's treble stays slightly recessed, inoffensive, devoid of much sparkle or extension, so it won't draw your attention much
wink.gif
. Unless you are looking for something with better treble, M2 is a good choice. Otherwise, consider Xears TDIII. It has a lush, sweet, forward midrange which may not be as forward as M2, but slightly better overall when it comes to sound stage, balance and presentation.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #17 of 23
im findin with the eterna's on my cell phone, i really hav to put the volume up loud for the mids to come out.
its like at 80% their really behind, but at 90%, they come much more forward, but due to v shape freq curve, treble becomes to much 

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
im findin with the eterna's on my cell phone, i really hav to put the volume up loud for the mids to come out.
its like at 80% their really behind, but at 90%, they come much more forward, but due to v shape freq curve, treble becomes to much 

just waiting for my clip+ to arrive, will then eq the mids further up by 2-3db, eq down mid bass 2db, and have precise volume control rather than 10 step on my cell

May 17, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 23
I am in a similar quest as the OP and will bump this thread.

OP: what have you settled on thus far? Did you go for the M2? If so, how are they in your opinion as to bass thump? I found the Sunrise SW-Xcape Impressive Edition do well in this regard but would also like something with more forward vocals and slightly less emphasized trebles.

OP + Others: Has the Denon C710 got what it takes?

May 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #20 of 23
Jun 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 23
Sorry for not replying for so long, I havent been on Head-fi for a month or so. 

I ended up getting a pair of Phonak PFE 112. These are barely bassy compared to the Phonak, but from the first second I hear them, the balanced nature was so beautiful I've never looked back. I also got them with Shure Olive tips which gives some oomph to the bass.

The sounds is just so clean and right, the Eterna's would give me bass-aches after a while. The fit is a little problematic to insert, but once in, beautiful.

Vocals are not that forward, but enuf so, and the sound has great treble and warm mids, so its not totoally neutral

Users who are viewing this thread

Back