An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 4, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #9,483 of 9,499
After a long hiatus this thread is alive again 
eek.gif

Anyways I saw a Cayman GT4 today, doesn't look as nice in real life but it really does sound amazing.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9,484 of 9,499

Indeed. It seems like those lines will never age.

I don't know about never; the DB7 isn't looking quite so pretty these days. But it is remarkable how much staying power these cars have stylistically; AM really knows how to pick designers.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #9,485 of 9,499

I don't know about never; the DB7 isn't looking quite so pretty these days. But it is remarkable how much staying power these cars have stylistically; AM really knows how to pick designers.

I used the word "never" as a hyperbole, but I concur on the case of the DB7. With that said, I also believe that it was simply an unsuccesful attempt to design a car that should have looked like a DB9. The DB7, even back in the day, never looked particularly pretty to me.

I saw a first gen DB9 the other day, and still has terrific a impact indeed.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #9,486 of 9,499

I used the word "never" as a hyperbole, but I concur on the case of the DB7. With that said, I also believe that it was simply an unsuccesful attempt to design a car that should have looked like a DB9. The DB7, even back in the day, never looked particularly pretty to me.

I saw a first gen DB9 the other day, and still has terrific a impact indeed.

Problem with the DB7 was it looked more Jag than Aston. Particularly in a dark colour it really looks like it came from Coventry

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #9,489 of 9,499
Want something that will only go up in value and that you'll love driving every single time? Here ya go:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/08/effeffe-berlinetta-new-italian-1960s-gt

Yeah, I've made inquiries and hope to get one. Because, well, look at it. :xf_eek:

Wow.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #9,490 of 9,499
Want something that will only go up in value and that you'll love driving every single time? Here ya go:

Yeah, I've made inquiries and hope to get one. Because, well, look at it.
redface.gif

Wow.

Aren't knock offs illegal in the US now?  I see that and really think (NOT a wire wheel fan here) that some aggressive rubber BBS mounted may be in order.  It's almost as pretty as a Ginetta.

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #9,491 of 9,499
in the 80's there was the pontiac fiero. it was special because of the frame. you could make it a ferrari,porsche,lamborghini anything. yes, now that is nonlegal in the us.

so i am getting the new ford gt. on the waiting list. i just wish acura would come with the nsx already. this is absurd. it is 15 years in the making. the car already exists but not for sale. i know a dealer has one in back of the shop all wrapped up and cannot even show it. stupid. by the time it hits it will be too little to late with about 400bhp hybrid.

to be honest i expect no car to appreciate in my lifetime at this point. i just get them for fun and then lose money. that is fine with me. it is the fun that matters to me.

on a side note someone hit my cgt. i am so mad. it is at a very high end body shop right now. problem is they just totally killed it's value. there will undoubtedly be a carfax on it. that was actually worth something. plus they told me 3 months to fix! just a minor fender bender but ruined the damn car even though they will put it back to stock 100%.

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #9,492 of 9,499

Yeah, I've made inquiries and hope to get one. Because, well, look at it.
redface.gif

Wow.

There's been a lot of retro-style racers come from various shops recently, but this one is one of the most legitimate I've seen. Hopefully they can keep interest alive for long enough to finance and produce a significant run.

May 6, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #9,493 of 9,499
Okay, I've finished my tinkering, and even though I feel that I could extract more from them in one way or another, other areas start to suffer when I do. So, without more ado, the budget "flagship killer" is...

the Philips SHP9500.

They're that good? Yeah, they're that good. After listening for quite a while trying to figure out what these sound like, I figured it out, they're very similar to the Koss ESP/950s, only they have ~3dB more mid bass. The mids and highs are practically ripped directly from the 950s and are just beautifully smooth and silky without any harshness, and the soundstage, though not the largest I've heard, is substantial and all instruments are well placed. Resolution is fantastic too, THD numbers must be near rock bottom because I detect almost no coloration or grain and what warmth they do give off is natural and unobtrusive. Overall they're really great, and when you factor in their price (~$85US on Amazon) they're miraculous. What makes them so special is their drivers, they actually have 50mm neodymium ring drivers (no joke). I don't know of any other inexpensive full-size cans packing such hardware. (Also the cable is swappable, it's a standard 3.5mm M-M cable, for those who want to use something different from Audioquest or whatever.
rolleyes.gif
)

But, they aren't quite that sonically gifted right out of the box, they need a little work to pull out more of their potential. Without mods they're a little harsh ~6kHz, mids are a bit honky, and bass, though tight, is simply too recessed. Here's where the simple mods come in.

Other downsides?
-the fabric used for the earpads and headband feels a little like burlap, it's not the softest out there
-the plastic is pretty cheap feeling
-the size adjustment mechanism is kind of crappy
-head clamp is very, very light (might be a plus for many), I prefer a little more

What you'll need:

A sheet of 2mm thick craft felt, it's pliable but fairly dense
A sheet of 4mm thickness EPDM butyl, it feels pretty rubbery
Glue stick
Scissors
X-acto knife
Ruler

1. Feel around the inside of the ear pads, underneath them, and you'll notice that the padding is glued down a bit. What you need to do is firmly but gently pull that glue apart. Don't worry, the fabric will hold the pad to the baffle, we just need to get some space underneath the earpad itself.
2. Using the pad itself as a kind of template, you'll want to draw an oval in the craft foam. It'll be 10cm wide by 12cm tall. Then inside that you'll draw another oval that's 6cm wide by 8cm tall. That will give you an oval ring with a 2cm "wall". Now cut out that ring; I used scissors on the outside and an X-acto for the inside, you want to keep it in one piece. It'll look like this:

3. Cut a circle of felt 8cm wide then apply a light layer of glue from the glue stick to one side, then apply that to the exact middle of the ear side of the baffle (apply it to the fabric back there), tucking the edges underneath the earpad. Let the glue dry, takes ~an hour. Here's a pic of the felt in place:

4. After the glue has dried, take your rubber oval that you cut and slowly work it underneath the earpad, it'll act like it wants to bunch a little but just keep working it under the pad until it's completely under the pad. You can see the edge of it barely visible under the pad here:

5. That's it! Seriously. I stripped one set all the way down to the frame and monkeyed with them like crazy (completely ruining the earpads in the process), but this is by far the most balanced mod for these. In this instance, less really is more.

Get them while you can, though, Philips didn't distribute many in the USA and I think they may even be discontinued now. Sad.

Okay, I've finished my tinkering, and even though I feel that I could extract more from them in one way or another, other areas start to suffer when I do. So, without more ado, the budget "flagship killer" is...

the Philips SHP9500.

They're that good? Yeah, they're that good. After listening for quite a while trying to figure out what these sound like, I figured it out, they're very similar to the Koss ESP/950s, only they have ~3dB more mid bass. The mids and highs are practically ripped directly from the 950s and are just beautifully smooth and silky without any harshness, and the soundstage, though not the largest I've heard, is substantial and all instruments are well placed. Resolution is fantastic too, THD numbers must be near rock bottom because I detect almost no coloration or grain and what warmth they do give off is natural and unobtrusive. Overall they're really great, and when you factor in their price (~$85US on Amazon) they're miraculous. What makes them so special is their drivers, they actually have 50mm neodymium ring drivers (no joke). I don't know of any other inexpensive full-size cans packing such hardware. (Also the cable is swappable, it's a standard 3.5mm M-M cable, for those who want to use something different from Audioquest or whatever.
rolleyes.gif
)

But, they aren't quite that sonically gifted right out of the box, they need a little work to pull out more of their potential. Without mods they're a little harsh ~6kHz, mids are a bit honky, and bass, though tight, is simply too recessed. Here's where the simple mods come in.

Other downsides?
-the fabric used for the earpads and headband feels a little like burlap, it's not the softest out there
-the plastic is pretty cheap feeling
-the size adjustment mechanism is kind of crappy
-head clamp is very, very light (might be a plus for many), I prefer a little more

What you'll need:

A sheet of 2mm thick craft felt, it's pliable but fairly dense
A sheet of 4mm thickness EPDM butyl, it feels pretty rubbery
Glue stick
Scissors
X-acto knife
Ruler

1. Feel around the inside of the ear pads, underneath them, and you'll notice that the padding is glued down a bit. What you need to do is firmly but gently pull that glue apart. Don't worry, the fabric will hold the pad to the baffle, we just need to get some space underneath the earpad itself.
2. Using the pad itself as a kind of template, you'll want to draw an oval in the craft foam. It'll be 10cm wide by 12cm tall. Then inside that you'll draw another oval that's 6cm wide by 8cm tall. That will give you an oval ring with a 2cm "wall". Now cut out that ring; I used scissors on the outside and an X-acto for the inside, you want to keep it in one piece. It'll look like this:

3. Cut a circle of felt 8cm wide then apply a light layer of glue from the glue stick to one side, then apply that to the exact middle of the ear side of the baffle (apply it to the fabric back there), tucking the edges underneath the earpad. Let the glue dry, takes ~an hour. Here's a pic of the felt in place:

4. After the glue has dried, take your rubber oval that you cut and slowly work it underneath the earpad, it'll act like it wants to bunch a little but just keep working it under the pad until it's completely under the pad. You can see the edge of it barely visible under the pad here:

5. That's it! Seriously. I stripped one set all the way down to the frame and monkeyed with them like crazy (completely ruining the earpads in the process), but this is by far the most balanced mod for these. In this instance, less really is more.

Get them while you can, though, Philips didn't distribute many in the USA and I think they may even be discontinued now. Sad.

Cool Mod. I am wanting to get a tad more bass out of them... would the felt help or is it the foam cutout that helps as well? Thanks! 
Robert
My cans are powered by FiiO E10k

May 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #9,494 of 9,499

Cool Mod. I am wanting to get a tad more bass out of them... would the felt help or is it the foam cutout that helps as well? Thanks! 
Robert
My cans are powered by FiiO E10k

The 4mm rubber is not foam - he said it was the densest he had on hand at the time. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600088/an-audiophile-and-petrolheads-journal-buckle-up/7845#post_11151216
the link for the butyl describes it as solid, and he said he would possibly liked to use slightly thicker. I used 4.5mm nitrile rubber sheet for the 3 I have modded and I sent a set of cut-out rubber (using the last of the sheet I bought on ebay) to another guy on this thread (but received no feedback on the mod). 
The rubber insert increases the bass and the felt calms the highs.

May 7, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #9,495 of 9,499
Cool, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back