An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Feb 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #9,466 of 9,499
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/134344/20160218/renault-alpine-vision-concept-breaks-cover-ahead-of-geneva-motor-show-reviving-the-alpine-sports-car.htm

Looks okay, but it'll never be sold in the USA.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #9,467 of 9,499
It'll possibly damp the treble a little more, but that's up to you whether you want that.

Magique, have you ever considered using Sorbothane rather than EPDM?  I have been experimenting with it on a few different phones and the results, too say the least, are simply astounding.

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #9,468 of 9,499
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/134344/20160218/renault-alpine-vision-concept-breaks-cover-ahead-of-geneva-motor-show-reviving-the-alpine-sports-car.htm

Looks okay, but it'll never be sold in the USA.

There's some rumors going around that Nissan wants it for a U.S. model, but a restyle would probably ruin its character.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #9,469 of 9,499
Yeah, being weird is what makes it cool, if they screw with that there's no reason to buy one.

------------------

So I finally got an E/90 energizer (it's really an amp) for my ESP/950, I saw one on ebay for cheap so thought "why not?" Anyhow, after much listening between it, a Woo WEE (hooked to an Accuphase E-560), an SRD-7 (with same amp), and my SRM-717, I can say with certainty that... I can't tell much difference at all. Seriously, whatever differences that exist could very well be attributed to me thinking the SRM-717 should sound better (confirmation bias). It could have slightly better bass control and be a touch more refined on the top end, but it isn't much to take note of. In fact, in blind testing I can't really determine which is which with any regularity (~60%). However, I can tell the difference between any of those and my EC Electra, every time (it's considerably more "interesting" and euphonic).

Determination: If you have an E/90 just keep it, SS upgrades are rather pointless, IMO, despite its light weight and rather cheapo feel. However, if you want to go with tubes, there's a good argument for it (and something like the Electra or BHSE is a great addition if you are planning on buying any Stax `phones too). The only thing I really recommend is buying a more robust power supply, which are available for <$40 through Digikey. It offers more current, doesn't get nearly as hot as the OEM, and is much more plug-in friendly than a fat wallwart.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #9,470 of 9,499
That's quite interesting. Did you notice any difference in sound with the alternative power supply?

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #9,471 of 9,499
So our Super MIDI (mid-mounted Mini) is going forward. The main change? Instead of the Toyota V6 we're going to use a TVR-sourced, bored & stroked 215 ci Rover V8 (all alu, `natch) w/ hemi Cosworth heads, good for ~370bhp, with a TVR/Lotus TA, to keep it all British (more or less). Lucas FI? AHAHAHA!! No, don't be daft. :D

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #9,472 of 9,499
That's quite interesting. Did you notice any difference in sound with the alternative power supply?

Nah, it's mostly because the OEM gets hot as hell.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #9,474 of 9,499
No , no Lucas. Ever.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #9,476 of 9,499
So I finally got an E/90 energizer (it's really an amp) for my ESP/950, I saw one on ebay for cheap so thought "why not?" Anyhow, after much listening between it, a Woo WEE (hooked to an Accuphase E-560), an SRD-7 (with same amp), and my SRM-717, I can say with certainty that... I can't tell much difference at all. Seriously, whatever differences that exist could very well be attributed to me thinking the SRM-717 should sound better (confirmation bias). It could have slightly better bass control and be a touch more refined on the top end, but it isn't much to take note of. In fact, in blind testing I can't really determine which is which with any regularity (~60%). However, I can tell the difference between any of those and my EC Electra, every time (it's considerably more "interesting" and euphonic).

I've always maintained that the E90 is a good amp in a bad package. On the ESP thread I see plenty of people with the SRM-717, but I've never thought it worth the price of the upgrade.

So our Super MIDI (mid-mounted Mini) is going forward. The main change? Instead of the Toyota V6 we're going to use a TVR-sourced, bored & stroked 215 ci Rover V8 (all alu, `natch) w/ hemi Cosworth heads, good for ~370bhp, with a TVR/Lotus TA, to keep it all British (more or less). Lucas FI? AHAHAHA!! No, don't be daft.
biggrin.gif

That project just got a whole lot more interesting. I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #9,477 of 9,499
Can we place bets on how many miles the Mini does before its bonnet is opened a la Top Gear style?

As the immortal Jeremy Clarkson once noted that there have never been any recorded incidents of a TVR breaking down.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #9,478 of 9,499
If no one else is going to mention it, I sure will. DB11 official reveal:

God, that's gorgeous. :eek: Power comes from an all new 5.3l AMG-derived 600+bhp TT V12 (rumor is it's closer to 650), with top-shelf magnetic ride damping (ripped directly from the GTS), and... a real 6-spd manual (new bespoke Getrag) option. Plus there's the usual Aston interior, which is still one of the best in the business. All for mildly-optioned 911 Turbo S money. As sad as I am to see the old 5.9l NA V12 go (no, not really) it was long overdue for retirement.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #9,480 of 9,499

Users who are viewing this thread

Back