An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jan 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5,401 of 9,499
I wasn't aware that Bitcoin was a cherished American pastime (like say, car collecting). :wink:

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #5,402 of 9,499
Well not *yet* - and now we may never know what it could have become... :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BITCOIN-2013-PHYSICAL-NOT-CASASCIUS-BTC-RARE-GOLD-PLATED-COIN-NEW-IN-HARD-CASE-/221346700421

:atsmile:

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #5,403 of 9,499
It's this generation's "Indy Pace Car edition". You can't swing a dead cat at a Mecum auction without hitting one of those vettes, and none of them have more than 100 miles on them. Here's one, complete with a layer of dust "patina".

Pathetic. As with any other hobby, it's the speculators that ruin it for everyone.

Ah the "Collectors" car that wasn't. I don't know if they do any actual damage to the hobby. Most of the slugs that get auctioned off for artificially inflated prices are vehicle's none but the most classless of collectors desire. The North American overpriced muscle iron so en vogue today is of little interest to the true sport car afficionado. They do not seem to be impacting vintage Ferrari Maserati, Lambo, Porsche, or Jag pricing. More of an emerging market grab targeted at the unwary.

I'm starting a Hyundai collection. Have to figure after they run out of Detroit iron to push to ludicrous prices they'll be next
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #5,405 of 9,499
I just watched a classic flick - the ORIGINAL "The Fast and The Furious" from 1955.

The star of the show is a white Jaguar XK120 fitted for racing with the small aeroscreen that was also used on Jags for high speed record runs. The race scenes have a wide variety of 40s & 50s roadsters, and toward the end of the film the heroine borrows what appears to be an Allard J2. Not a horrible film, and it has some very cool cars! :)

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #5,406 of 9,499
I'm all set! I better go wash my Elantra. It's going to be a hot item - first year of the 2nd gen - only 57 kazillion made...

Get to it man! I have my eye on a restorable Pony, a billion made 25 left:)

I just watched a classic flick - the ORIGINAL "The Fast and The Furious" from 1955.

The star of the show is a white Jaguar XK120 fitted for racing with the small aeroscreen that was also used on Jags for high speed record runs. The race scenes have a wide variety of 40s & 50s roadsters, and toward the end of the film the heroine borrows what appears to be an Allard J2. Not a horrible film, and it has some very cool cars!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey it's a Corman film it's supposed to be bad. God knows how he blackmailed Ireland into starring in it.

Have to say though, Corman is probably one of the smartest business people on earth.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5,407 of 9,499
I would probably never spring for something like the singer.it is super nice, I just like my cars "new".  when I said $2k cars I meant beaters obviously. something like a minty 733i with less than 7k miles would be cool. I bet that is a heck of a lot of money though. like more than a new 750i.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #5,408 of 9,499
Quote:hutnicks

I'm all set! I better go wash my Elantra. It's going to be a hot item - first year of the 2nd gen - only 57 kazillion made...

Get to it man! I have my eye on a restorable Pony, a billion made 25 left:)

try restoring a Great Wall.

They only last a fortnight, then it's restoration time again.
Reminds me of the "classic" eastern Europe dream car - the trabant. Came with a 20-20 warranty. 20 feet or 20 seconds. whichever came first.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #5,410 of 9,499
I'd be willing to bet that "museum" dealerships like Volo are crawling with low-mileage pace car editions. You almost have to feel sorry for the guys who thought their smog-era 'Vette with its alternate paint scheme would be their ticket to a world-class retirement one day (you know they exist).

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #5,413 of 9,499
Speaking of bitcoin - I got bored today and started actually reading some of the info on what it takes to install and run the various pieces of bitcoin software. I gotta say, this is yet another typical open source geek fest - with arcane instructions that have you going from site to site reading wikis, faqs, readme files, etc, etc. There is no freaking way the average person could figure this stuff out. Just doing the first step - installing bitcoin-qt and a wallet client is simple enough - but once you start it running, it takes hours for it to perform the first sync to the bitcoin network so you can become a node. Apparently, it has to download every transaction - the entire block chain - before your node can become active. My old laptop has been grinding away for the last 8 hours, and I still have 49 weeks of transactions to go. This has nothing to do with mining - this is just what is necessary to create a node so you can send and receive bitcoin payments.

Now, I know I could have just used one of the bitcoin cloud services to hold the wallet, and I suppose that's what the average person would probably do - but c'mon, I want to be "part of the community" like all the cool opensource guys, right? I guess what I'm saying is that this stuff is a looooong way from the ease of just using a credit card to place an order on Amazon or using Paypal. I'm only doing this to see what it takes - I'm not actually going to use it.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #5,414 of 9,499
  volo is known in Alabama? well i'll be darned!

They place glossy full-page ads in Hemmings all the time, and I once visited them when I lived in Wisconsin. Most of the car guys in my area seem to be aware of Volo, but they couldn't really tell you off the top of their head anything about them.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #5,415 of 9,499
Just read this entire thread in like 2 days, I gotta say love the cars Magick! I recently got a 2004 lexus is300 for a steal not anything special but for me its pretty awesome! Not a huge poster mostly a lurker in the forums but had to say something about how awesome this read was! More than anything i feel like I learned more about cars from reading this than the hours i spend drooling over supercars 
biggrin.gif
. Keep posting pictures ill be watching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back