An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Dec 29, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #9,421 of 9,499
It'll be neat. It won't be the fastest MINI in the world, ~280whp, but we're going to push the envelope of what's possible to get the best handling out of one, while also creating a car with a fit and finish (and quality of materials) that rivals a Singer (and that a tall guy can fit into properly). Crazy? Yeah, a little bit. But I think it's something that could become popular. If it meets my expectations and is well received, we're talking about doing a 15 car limited production.

You going with metal or composite bodywork?  I have visions of something R5 Turboish floating in my head.

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #9,422 of 9,499
Aluminum (frame and unibody) and carbon fiber (hood, roof, panels), we're trying to keep it a lightweight, but there's no doubt it's going to get a little heavier. That's not all bad though, because pretty much everyone knows how much of a rattlebox older MINIs are, hell they were noisy and flimsy when they were new. Our vision is a car that was sent to Lotus for aggressive tuning, and then Aston Martin for finishing (in other words, what the Cygnet should have been). We're even talking w/ HRE to make a custom 15" forged wheel, just for this car.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #9,423 of 9,499
Aluminum (frame and unibody) and carbon fiber (hood, roof, panels), we're trying to keep it a lightweight, but there's no doubt it's going to get a little heavier. That's not all bad though, because pretty much everyone knows how much of a rattlebox older MINIs are, hell they were noisy and flimsy when they were new. Our vision is a car that was sent to Lotus for aggressive tuning, and then Aston Martin for finishing (in other words, what the Cygnet should have been). We're even talking w/ HRE to make a custom 15" forged wheel, just for this car.

Pretty much every DL offering from the era suffered from shake rattle and roll:)  The mini moreso due to the hinge designs used and the original non suspension.

I had completely forgotten about the Signet.

Are you fabricating the suspension from scratch or have you found a vehicle that offers suitable donor parts?

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #9,424 of 9,499
I still await the response to the "are you buying the Orpheus?" question...............man that would be just perfect for Magick!

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #9,425 of 9,499
  I still await the response to the "are you buying the Orpheus?" question...............man that would be just perfect for Magick!

Yes it would:) I suspect the evasion is either he's ordered it or still in the deep contemplation phase.

WRT your avitar.................................."Oh and by the way, which ones Pink?"

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #9,426 of 9,499

Yes it would:) I suspect the evasion is either he's ordered it or still in the deep contemplation phase.

WRT your avitar.................................."Oh and by the way, which ones Pink?"

I get a lot of good comments on that avatar..............some guys ask if they can steal it.  Yes you can...............I pinched it from a guy over on Audiokarma. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #9,427 of 9,499
Yeah, sounds cool, but I don't have it in the hobby budget, and won't for some time. Maybe for late 2016 or 2017?

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #9,429 of 9,499
That Mini sounds like it'll be a very interesting build. Are you going for a mostly period look cosmetically (in line with the Singer inspiration), or will it look as modern as it is inside?

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #9,430 of 9,499
my s65 is in the shop. they were out of luxury loaners. also a Chrysler dealer. they gave me Chrysler 200. you know what? after a few minutes I decided that car is all anyone really "requires:".  I can't speak for others but I am humbled by what I have. no one needs this. please don't forget what is important in life. help others do charity. I do. I just felt ashamed when I realized that car is all I really need. many people don't have that much and I find it very unfortunate. every human being deserves a fair cut. I am not a communist by any means. I just felt like I am a real jerk to feel I need cars and everything else I have. I don't need it. things have changed. I am an old man now. I have seen a lot. rich and poor. it just struck me all the sudden that this is complete overkill. I certainly would not be ashamed to drive the Chrysler. anyone that bashed me for it is not my friend anyways. it was weird how I got in that car and this just dawned on me. perhaps because in 2016 there is a fine line between a $25,000 car and a $600,000 one. they have most of the same features now. this is a good time to buy a car for average income people. they are very nice quite frankly. I have nothing to prove anymore. a car is a car already. I just wanted to share these thoughts because some people, and I do not mean anyone in particular are consumed with greed. when the best thing they can do is help others. in fact I think I will buy a few people that car that I know could use it if they are willing to accept it. there is nothing wrong with charity when people need it. I was just humbled. it was a very surreal experience. I can't even explain it. I am at a loss of words. I just realized I am really a pig of sorts. I never meant to be just got what I could afford but now I understand there is a much bigger picture to observe. that's all. I am sorry I had to type this but I just had a personal epiphany. end of rant.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #9,431 of 9,499
another thing. upset with mercedes. it was in the shop because i blew the transmission in the snow. turns out they had to order the trans from germany but they are out of stock! good thing i dig this chrysler because i have it for 3 months now! i bet chrysler has a transmission right at the dealer. that is complete bs. a $340,000 car and they don't have parts for it. so much for mercedes red carpet treatment. plus the coffee sucked at the dealer. what happened to cars and coffee? yes, the chrysler is alright but i want my damn car back! i have other cars but i am not driving a lp-700 in 3 feet of snow. even though lamborghini likes to demonstrate you can. last time i took it out last year i put it in the ditch in ten minutes. then the tow truck driver scratched it with the chain! okay, now i am sounding like the person i just said i despise but whatever. i paid for the car, it's mine and these a-holes can't even fix it in a timely manner. mad. I do have a land cruiser but my plow is on it. I can't park it at the mall with a 12 foot wide plow. man, my life sucks. j/k of course.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #9,432 of 9,499
I didn't really keep up with the debuts much this year, but NAIAS seemed to have some interesting news. Lexus is making a real attempt at a sports car, Lutz came back to remind us the VL Automotive still exists (now called VLF, since Henrik Fisker is involved), and Chevy debuted a fairly practical and affordable EV in the Bolt.

Scottsdale is coming up soon; got your eye on anything for this year, Magick?

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #9,433 of 9,499
I'm curious what the prices are going to be like, we're heading down to Kissimmee for this weekend because I think that's going to be the canary in the coal mine. With the markets diving right now, I'm wondering if people are going to take financial refuge in collector cars. If so, I'm not going to be buying very much and would rather stay at home for the rest of the auctions over the next several months.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #9,434 of 9,499
In that event, you can redirect some of the car funds to a spanking new Orpehus
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #9,435 of 9,499
  In that event, you can redirect some of the car funds to a spanking new Orpehus
biggrin.gif

I think that'd be a worthy purchase for sure.  While I have things to nitpick about regarding the original Orpheus, having recently auditioned the new one, I'd have to say that it is flawless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back