An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jul 18, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #9,241 of 9,499
You're right, of course, they do not look the same when you put them side by side. I see a guy with a Lotus Elise on the same highway fairly often. When I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the Tesla coming up on my right, it looked like the Elise - but I wasn't sure. Then it went past and all I saw was it's @ss. From that angle they do look quite similar:

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #9,243 of 9,499
This is why having all that code running in your car is bad...
http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/24/fiat-chrysler-recall

In my experience, this is a fundamental truth: HW companies that write SW is a recipe for disaster. Every time they try to create more than simple firmware to manipulate the HW, bad things happen.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #9,244 of 9,499

In my experience, this is a fundamental truth: HW companies that write SW is a recipe for disaster. Every time they try to create more than simple firmware to manipulate the HW, bad things happen.

It's not that a hardware company is trying to develop software. It's that a car company is trying to make computers.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #9,245 of 9,499

Eventually the auto industry is likely to outsource their code to somewhere more capable, and we'll probably end up with a consolidation of just a few competing third-party automotive management systems. With that will come safer, more secure systems and fewer amateurish oversights on the part of the auto industry.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #9,247 of 9,499
Quote:
  Painted vent slats? And a key? More than the wheels?

At least the wheels themselves aren't optional upgrades. Porsche regularly charges $20k for a non-standard set.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #9,248 of 9,499
I've had many conversations with people in both the Marketing and Manufacturing departments about the wacky way invoices are created (not just cars, any products). They all have a million excuses why the line items are always such a mystery, and why some items are $0, while others are outrageously priced. The usual excuses are that it is related to how the boxes are packed (eg the accessory kit comes pre-boxed from a subcontractor, so it is a separate SKU kit that is just dropped into the master carton), country & regional differences in the configurations (eg The primary product is a single SKU, but a different AC power cord is needed for different countries, so that is a different SKU), special pricing configurations based on promotions, sales spiffs, co-advertising deals, etc, etc.

None of it makes any sense to me. Ultimately, when pressed, they usually just blame it on the IT guys for not being able to configure the ERP system to read their fraking minds... :rolleyes:

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #9,249 of 9,499
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-maserati-alfieri-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

*hands Maserati his wallet*

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #9,252 of 9,499
No love for Alfa's new one ?

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #9,253 of 9,499
  No love for Alfa's new one ?

I'm sure it's a very capable car (and the specs so far certainly point to that conclusion), but I can't say that Alfa Romeo has really done that well with the thing's looks. Maybe my opinion will change when I see one in person, but right now the side profile just reminds me of a Chevy SS or Opel Insignia and the front just looks too safe. I miss the face of the 159, to be honest.

I think Alfa Romeo is starting to lose their design direction a bit. While the 4C is certainly distinct in appearance (and I may be in the minority when I say this), I certainly wouldn't call it beautiful. And now this seems too conservative for an Alfa Romeo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back