An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jul 16, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #9,226 of 9,499

On another note, and perhaps in the idiot vein myself. Has anybody here ever listened to the ATH 908? I picked up a pair of these for 5 bucks at a thrift shop, because well, how could one not by AT's for 5 bucks.
  I am really shocked these things are all but unkown. For a 99 dollar phone they do remarkably well and probably would KA with a little simple modding.

The 908 is before my time in the hobby. Perhaps some guys over in the various "vintage" threads would have more to tell you.

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #9,227 of 9,499
  The 908 is before my time in the hobby. Perhaps some guys over in the various "vintage" threads would have more to tell you.

Not that bloody old. The reliable sources in vintageland I already spoke with. Hence my asking around here.
As for the V thread. Enter there at your own risk. There be furry dragons.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #9,231 of 9,499
I'm throwing down on the cool side myself.

So many wind up badly restored and can barely be called an original anyway. Why not go whole hog and electrify one.

Perhaps there is a written off Ford GT they can play with somewhere.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #9,232 of 9,499
Jul 17, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #9,233 of 9,499

Not that bloody old. The reliable sources in vintageland I already spoke with. Hence my asking around here.
As for the V thread. Enter there at your own risk. There be furry dragons.
wink.gif

I've got underwear older than the ATH-908...

It's not really old in terms of functional life, but in the headphone industry things move quite fast. Rarely is anything from a major manufacturer discussed significantly past ten years from its start of production, with some notable exceptions (HD650, etc.). By then it's been replaced twice over, and has a couple more years still until it's considered vintage in headphone years.

I'm not intending to make any argument, of course, just saying where I was coming from.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #9,235 of 9,499
  It's not really old in terms of functional life, but in the headphone industry things move quite fast. Rarely is anything from a major manufacturer discussed significantly past ten years from its start of production, with some notable exceptions (HD650, etc.). By then it's been replaced twice over, and has a couple more years still until it's considered vintage in headphone years.

I'm not intending to make any argument, of course, just saying where I was coming from.

You touch on an interesting component of the Headphone market. A zillion phones a year yet  880's ER4's Porta Pros, Stax, HD800's etc are showing remarkable staying power. Not to mention ancient ortho's from Fostex and Yamaha.

So really, other than making myriad upstart companies wealthy, what has actually been gained in value to the consumer?

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #9,236 of 9,499
You touch on an interesting component of the Headphone market. A zillion phones a year yet  880's ER4's Porta Pros, Stax, HD800's etc are showing remarkable staying power. Not to mention ancient ortho's from Fostex and Yamaha.

So really, other than making myriad upstart companies wealthy, what has actually been gained in value to the consumer?

Fashion. :rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #9,237 of 9,499
Jul 17, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #9,238 of 9,499
On the way home from work, I saw something I had never seen before: a Tesla Roadster (the one that looks like a Lotus Elise) Traffic was heavy, and he slipped by me when my lane stopped and his took off. I tried to catch him to take a picture of the Tesla name on the back, but I couldn't regain the ground I had lost. So, I guess you just have to imagine an orange Lotus Elise that says Tesla on the back... :)

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #9,239 of 9,499
You need a faster car with a dash mounted GoPro Billy:wink:

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #9,240 of 9,499
I saw my first of two (maybe three?) Roadsters in Hamburg, of all places, back in 2010. Other than that, the only one I'm sure of seeing is used as an education demo for an electric company. They take it to high schools all over the region because a borderline supercar is a lot more exciting to a bunch of teenage engineering students than a Nissan Leaf.

I actually wouldn't immediately pick out the Roadster as a Lotus upon first glance, though the proportions give it away somewhat. Tesla's own bodywork is much more angular and simple than Lotus's own, different enough that they look like quite different cars to my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back