An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Feb 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #8,207 of 9,499
I have to confess that I like looking at the Zonda. Seriously, there have been times when I'd eat lunch and look at it for an hour (same thing with the Miura). Speaking of the TZ3, look up the build process of it, it's a Viper in different body panels and a $150k interior. You can buy a 100% spot-on cosmetic re-creation of a Tipo 33 Stradale, with a 100% hydroformed aluminum body, for ~1/4 the cost of an original. That includes a period correct Alfa V8 drivetrain. I have the brochure on my desk at work and I can't tell you how many times I've looked at it and almost pulled the trigger on one.

I'll catch flack for this, but it's my thread, so...
tongue.gif
The problem with most pre-modern era sports cars (and supercars) is, that although they are wonderful to look at, they aren't quite as wonderful to drive. After you get used to the feel of something like a Carrera GT, they're downright primitive and clunky. That isn't to say they aren't fun, and while you can upgrade the brakes, suspension, and tires to improve handling a great deal, there's only so much to work with in other areas, unless you want to make restomods out of them and ruin their aesthetics (and value), which is the main reason you bought them in the first place.

How is the Zonda thesedays? You've been pretty stumm since its return from its trip to Italy.

I don't see why you'd be catching flack over calling out the issues with an older car. Suspension designs alone tell the story of what you can expect from an older car. Nowhere near the level of sophistication of any current gen ubersled and in some cases falling behind even production vehicles.
Anyone who would buy something like a GTO or T33 expecting it to be on the level of a Maclaren or Konigsegg is either delusional or uneducated. They are bookmarks in automotive history that (for the most part) represent a technological change for their time.
I remember Shelby himself saying the Cobra was obsolete the second it left the factory:)

The 962 has always puzzled me. The 956 just stopped me dead when I first encountered it. That was serious monster material right there. None of the sweeping elegance of Eric's T600 here, this thing was low and wide, 80 inches of wide, and ignition key, and like all racing Porsches from the factory it idled as benevolently as a street car. These Porsche dudes took homologation seriously. Peek into the cockpit and wonder, just really would you want to be in there for the length of an endurance race? Will you be able to get out of the damn thing after 3 hours? You're pretty much wound into innards of that thing. It very much reminded me of the Messerschmidt ME109, you integrated yourself into it and wore it, you didn't sit in it  Certainly the genealogy of the 917 was there, but while daddy had a college degree, junior here went on to get the PhD in effective track domination.
Then the powers that be decreed there was a little to much mean in her and tamed her into the 962. That car never did and still does not look right to me. They really lost some of the essence in the 56 and I've never been able to quite figure it out. It's almost as if the 62 looks like a kitted 56, they came close but just missed..

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #8,208 of 9,499
It's winter and we've had only a handful of days above freezing over the last few months, so like most of the cars that don't do well under those conditions, the Zonda is hibernating.

I remember you mentioning something about the 962. Was it a Dauer that you were after?

Yeah that was part of the Dubai deal that fell through, I was just plain-old outbid for it, I'd say.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #8,209 of 9,499
It's winter and we've had only a handful of days above freezing over the last few months, so like most of the cars that don't do well under those conditions, the Zonda is hibernating.
Yeah that was part of the Dubai deal that fell through, I was just plain-old outbid for it, I'd say.

You either need to relocate to a warmer climate or get cracking on the secret underground test facility.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #8,210 of 9,499
I'll catch flack for this, but it's my thread, so...
tongue.gif
The problem with most pre-modern era sports cars (and supercars) is, that although they are wonderful to look at, they aren't quite as wonderful to drive. After you get used to the feel of something like a Carrera GT, they're downright primitive and clunky. That isn't to say they aren't fun, and while you can upgrade the brakes, suspension, and tires to improve handling a great deal, there's only so much to work with in other areas, unless you want to make restomods out of them and ruin their aesthetics (and value), which is the main reason you bought them in the first place.

No, no, you're completely right. The lust for the cars that dominated the track in their day comes from a point of nostalgia for most collectors (and a point of investment as well, obviously), and it can be a serious letdown to drive something that you idolized decades ago. While the noise and the feel and beauty of each car is still there, the thrill of driving a classic sports car comes from learning to tame it, not relying on it for performance that measures up to the modern competition.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #8,218 of 9,499
I'm looking to buy some bitcoin Magick, what's the best place to buy a few.

Looking to invest, or do you just have an interest in the cryptocurrency world? Prices are extremely volatile, so only get into it if you're willing to lose everything you put in for the short term. Coinbase is the most popular and user-friendly option to get started with a wallet, so I'd start there.

I'm not much for BTC, but I mine some alternative cryptocurrencies in with a spare machine (Vertcoin, mostly) and I have a small amount of BTC in a wallet just in case it suddenly shoots up in price while I'm not paying attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back