An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Dec 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #7,801 of 9,499
Christian's people called already, but frankly I'd still rather have the manual CCXR (and having two of those crazy Swedes seems a little excessive to me). :wink: Extracting all the performance out of even the "lesser" car is beyond my capabilities, 1150bhp is still in the "nutty as squirrel poo" category and I'm not convinced that the One:1 is going to appreciate that much over time, given its $3M+ asking price.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #7,802 of 9,499
Am I the only one that thinks the Swedes are trying a little too hard to pretend that car is a hybrid? Saying it has "1 megawatt of power", talking about it being green because it can run on biofuel, etc. Me thinks they have a touch of electric envy. It probably took them so long to develop this car that they missed the memo from McLaren, Porsche & Ferrari.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #7,803 of 9,499
As impressive as they are, shops like Koenigsegg and Pagani are still very small companies. They have to rely on things like that because they don't possess the real capability to make the switch to hybrid electric drivetrains like Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren have. Koenigsegg cooperated to create the Quant with Nunzio La Vecchia, but they don't have the money or facilities to convert much of their regular production to cutting-edge powertrain development right now.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #7,804 of 9,499
Tonight I'm going to a benefit concert honoring "Paraquat" Kelley, a DJ that was an icon of Los Angeles FM radio in the 1970s & 80s. He was part of the great KMET staff that taught me to love rock & roll music. Paraquat Kelley is battling the advanced stages of MS. KMET was my favorite station - I lived *just* on the edge of reception for it - and I rigged-up my own antenna system to try to pull it in better. In addition to the great music, that's also where I could hear Dr. Demento on Sunday nights.

Here's the performer list from the web site:

Confirmed performers include George Thorogood, Janiva Magness, Kiki Ebsen, Dan Navarro, Michael Ann Azoulai, Paul Barrere. Bill Champlin, Prescott Niles, Peter Stroud, Michael Des Barres and Mike Inez of Alice ‘N Chains, Christina La Rocca, Julian Sha-Tayler, Waddy Wachtel, Riley Biederer, Angeles Band and special guests-To Be Announced.

KMET Alumni Jim Ladd, Cynthia Fox and Jeff Gonzer willl be among the evening's emcees.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #7,806 of 9,499
Christian's people called already, but frankly I'd still rather have the manual CCXR (and having two of those crazy Swedes seems a little excessive to me).
wink.gif
Extracting all the performance out of even the "lesser" car is beyond my capabilities, 1150bhp is still in the "nutty as squirrel poo" category and I'm not convinced that the One:1 is going to appreciate that much over time, given its $3M+ asking price.

Somehow 3 meg a copy seems excessive. One could be well in the grave before appreciation sets in.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #7,808 of 9,499
Billy, one of your neighbors is selling a beautiful (and relatively rare) G1 RX-7 for not a lot of scratch.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/4786813990.html

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #7,809 of 9,499
Yup - that's a rare one - the last of the 1st gen, and the first to have the 13B & fuel injection.

The benefit concert was really fun. I think the best acts were the opener - Paul Barrere & Fred Tackett from Little Feat who did 3 GREAT blues songs including Sailin' Shoes, and George Thorogood on acoustic who did 5 or 6 songs including Bad to the Bone and I Drink Alone, with his last couple of songs accompanied by none other than Slash on a Telecaster.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #7,810 of 9,499
Sounds like it was a great show, Slash is always impressive live, he's one hell of a performer.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #7,813 of 9,499
I have always liked bluesy rock (Led Zeppelin, etc) and a few years ago I started listening to the sources of that music and other great blues artists, like Lead Belly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, etc. This has made me have much greater appreciation for bands like Little Feat and George Thorogood than I had when I was younger. George Thorogood is a great blues guitar player, songwriter and singer! I think he had fun at the benefit, and it showed in his songs. I think Slash was just trying to keep up and not embarrass himself!

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #7,814 of 9,499
It's been 25 years since I saw Thorogood in concert, he opened for ZZ Top (who sort of "mailed in" that concert), and man was he drunk (and couldn't string together a sentence without the word screw in it). Great performance though, much more rock than blues back then.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #7,815 of 9,499
At one point, someone in the crowd yelled out "Destroyers!", and George looked up and said "Destroyers? Are those guys still alive?" :D

I think he's another of the old rockers that decided being alive was better than being drunk.

This is essentially what we heard from him - this was a couple of years ago, but it was the same acoustic set:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSUa64K9TsI[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back