An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Dec 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #5,327 of 9,499
OK - so here's a question for the gearhead collective:

When buying a daily driver - just your average used transportation vehicle - how many miles is too many miles? Would you buy a vehicle with 100K miles? 150K? 200K? Does a history that includes an engine or transmission rebuild increase or decrease your likelihood of purchasing a higher mileage vehicle?

Depends...............

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #5,328 of 9,499
That really depends on the vehicle itself. 200K on some is a warm up (aside from brake and other consumable wear) for some it is near the end of the life cycle. Also how many miles your commute is should have a bearing on that as well. The longer the commute the less miles you probably want on your used vehicle.

There a used Tesla in your neighborhood?

lol - no - I do see a Tesla on my commute fairly regularly, but I'm really just asking a hypothetical question to see what the zeitgeist might say.

Personally, I've typically been around the same as gikigill. The used cars I have previously purchased have typically been 30K-40K lease turn-ins or ex-rental cars. However, those used cars seem to be carrying a pretty healthy premium these days, and I'm curious what would happen if I raise my mileage maximums up to 100K. I do think cars seem to be carrying more mileage now than they used to in the old days - especially in SoCal where we don't have winter salt & sand issues, and more and more people are commuting long distances. 25K miles a year is really not unusual out here, so a 3-4 year old car might be pushing against 100K. Once you get over ~80K miles, the prices seem to drop dramatically.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #5,329 of 9,499
lol - no - I do see a Tesla on my commute fairly regularly, but I'm really just asking a hypothetical question to see what the zeitgeist might say.

Personally, I've typically been around the same as gikigill. The used cars I have previously purchased have typically been 30K-40K lease turn-ins or ex-rental cars. However, those used cars seem to be carrying a pretty healthy premium these days, and I'm curious what would happen if I raise my mileage maximums up to 100K. I do think cars seem to be carrying more mileage now than they used to in the old days - especially in SoCal where we don't have winter salt & sand issues, and more and more people are commuting long distances. 25K miles a year is really not unusual out here, so a 3-4 year old car might be pushing against 100K. Once you get over ~80K miles, the prices seem to drop dramatically.

A lot of the technology has made higher mileages more acceptable. I would personally take 100K (160K Kilometers up here) as the limit for a car I NEEDED to use daily.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #5,330 of 9,499
OK - so here's a question for the gearhead collective:

When buying a daily driver - just your average used transportation vehicle - how many miles is too many miles? Would you buy a vehicle with 100K miles? 150K? 200K? Does a history that includes an engine or transmission rebuild increase or decrease your likelihood of purchasing a higher mileage vehicle?

The Singer 911 had 165k miles on it when they rebuilt it, or so says the Cosworth work order, on vehicles in the 150k mile ballpark, a proper powertrain rebuild is a major bonus. I can't see it decreasing the value in any way, unless it's a relatively low mileage car.

Speaking of which:

The highlights are the engine and the interior (though the alu/CF body is no slouch), and what an engine! Cosworth gives broad specs for power, claiming a minimum of 425bhp, but on the dyno we got 410hp from the wheels, so the truth is around 450-460 w/ 390 ft/lbs of torque. That from a car that weighs only 2700lbs is, in short, electrifying. It's really strange, it feels and looks new, because it is new, but at the same time it also has a "broken-in" quality to it. For all the world it drives like every part of it has been custom fit to work with every other part, it's a paradox; a truly "better-than-new" classic 911. And don't say anything bad about the periwinkle blue (it's really a little lighter than the pictures show), I like it, a lot. :p :D

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #5,331 of 9,499
a lot of cars will go 500,000 miles or more. I would not put more than $2,000 into a car with over 200,000 miles. pretty much any average kind of car with that mileage should not be more than 2 grand. even a benz s class from the 80's. however I would much rather have a Toyota with that mileage.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #5,332 of 9,499
Damn, that looks really nice....how does it handle?

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #5,333 of 9,499
Oh yeah, my wife found this wandering by the side of the road and brought it home this evening. It barks, sort of, and she says it's a dog, but I have serious reservations about that. :p

Any ideas what breed it might be? It looks like a Yorkie mix of some kind and only weighs 3 lbs.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #5,334 of 9,499
Damn, that looks really nice....how does it handle?

Like something that shouldn't exist; a properly balanced, new, classic 911... with 200 extra horses and 4x more grip. It's like an old AC Porsche got down with a Koenigsegg.

It isn't rustic, at all, it has; power windows, sunroof, central locking, magnetic adj damping, cold A/C, a Blaupunkt stereo w/ bluetooth, and 12-way power seats, but they manage to keep all the awesome analog feel and looks at the same time.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #5,335 of 9,499
Oh yeah, my wife found this wandering by the side of the road and brought it home this evening. It barks, sort of, and she says it's a dog, but I have serious reservations about that. :p

Any ideas what breed it might be? It looks like a Yorkie mix of some kind and only weighs 3 lbs.

I would say it is a yorkie-squirrel mix. :p

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #5,337 of 9,499
I would say it is a yorkie-squirrel mix. :p

I think it's still pretty young, can't be more than 3-4 months old. When she gets scared or startled, which is all the time, she completely lets go of her bladder, which leads me to believe there's some chihuahua blood in her, because every one of those I've encountered does that too. We will be looking for the owner of this one, because we're not taking in another ankle-biter.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #5,339 of 9,499
OK - then Yorkie-Chihuahua-Chipmunk. But I'm still thinking 60% Chipmunk...

I was betting there was a bat in the mix somewhere.

WRT the Singer Magick, do you have any plans on getting it onto the track?

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #5,340 of 9,499
If you had described that blue interior to me I probably would've doubted you about Singer's ability to pull it off, but I actually like it seeing it in photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back