An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Sep 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #331 of 9,499
So - back to cars - but a bit more in the "value" category. Next year I'm probably going to give my current commuter car (2011 Hyundai Elantra) to my daughter. That means I need to get another car. I put ~130 miles per day on the car going back and forth to work. I need to keep the costs reasonable (cheaper the better) and I want sporty, 80+ mph cruising (no lectures, just GTFO of my way!), comfort (I'm in this car 2+ hours a day), excellent mileage and rock solid reliability. New or used, any year as long as all the requirements are met. What would you buy?

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #332 of 9,499
How do you feel about diesel?

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #333 of 9,499
Quote:
So - back to cars - but a bit more in the "value" category. Next year I'm probably going to give my current commuter car (2011 Hyundai Elantra) to my daughter. That means I need to get another car. I put ~130 miles per day on the car going back and forth to work. I need to keep the costs reasonable (cheaper the better) and I want sporty, 80+ mph cruising (no lectures, just GTFO of my way!), comfort (I'm in this car 2+ hours a day), excellent mileage and rock solid reliability. New or used, any year as long as all the requirements are met. What would you buy?

audi a4

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #334 of 9,499
I could do diesel, as long as it has enough acceleration to get out of its own way. My Dad had a MBZ 1979 300SD turbodiesel that he put 250K miles on, and my wife had an old cr@ppy Diesel Rabbit before we were married. I grew up on a farm, diesel doesn't scare me...

Audi A4 is definitely on my list - I have been looking at those for several years.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #335 of 9,499
Sep 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #337 of 9,499
There is the newest V6 Mustang which was mentioned recently....300hp and around 25mpg.  Of course, that 25mpg figure is probably achieved going 65mph, not 85....lol.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #338 of 9,499
Quote:
Thinking along the lines of a VW TDI?

Yup, Passat TDI to be exact.

Quote:
I could do diesel, as long as it has enough acceleration to get out of its own way. My Dad had a MBZ 1979 300SD turbodiesel that he put 250K miles on, and my wife had an old cr@ppy Diesel Rabbit before we were married. I grew up on a farm, diesel doesn't scare me...
Audi A4 is definitely on my list - I have been looking at those for several years.

Okay, then possibly a Passat TDI?

Quote:
He said reliability and I assume cheap maintenance, and we suggest two of the worst German cars in the world for those categories?
tongue.gif

Look at the newer Ford and Chevy models that break 25mpg and are comfy - avoid Impala, but otherwise they aren't bad. Chrysler 200 was nice too.

Yeah, I admit I left that part about reliability out and tried to concentrate on everything else, kinda.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #339 of 9,499
Here's the thing... gas is about $4.10/gallon in SoCal right now.  And in an Edmunds road test, "The Volkswagen Passat TDI achieved 51.7 mpg while averaging 70 mph on our final testing route — a simple, straight shot on Interstate 15 from Las Vegas back to Fontana."  Not quite 80 mph, but not bad mpg for 70 mph.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #340 of 9,499

Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S, they're the same thing. No contest. $27k and perform like cars 2x their price, decent power and they handle like a Lotus. They're also beautiful and fuel efficient (@30mpg). There's no better value out there.

http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/

If for some reason that's not what you want, I guess the V6 Mustang in the next choice, but it's not going to handle nearly as well as the BRZ or FR-S.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #341 of 9,499
Here's the thing... gas is about $4.10/gallon in SoCal right now.  And in an Edmunds road test, "The Volkswagen Passat TDI achieved 51.7 mpg while averaging 70 mph on our final testing route — a simple, straight shot on Interstate 15 from Las Vegas back to Fontana."  Not quite 80 mph, but not bad mpg for 70 mph.

Yeah and basic maintenance actions on that car can break $2000 easily. Just like the A4.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #342 of 9,499
Quote:
Yeah and basic maintenance actions on that car can break $2000 easily. Just like the A4.

Basic maintenance on a Passat is $2K a year?

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #343 of 9,499
Basic maintenance on a Passat is $2K a year?

Single items on the Audi/VW sedans can break that. Remember - they're magical computers and require import friendly techs to work on. Turbos cost more and age worse, and diesels require diesel techs. They're nice cars when they're running, but high mileage and years of use are not kind to them.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #344 of 9,499
Quote:
Single items on the Audi/VW sedans can break that. Remember - they're magical computers and require import friendly techs to work on. Turbos cost more and age worse, and diesels require diesel techs. They're nice cars when they're running, but high mileage and years of use are not kind to them.

I see.  But surely the difference in mileage would help offset that right?  130 miles a day is a LOT.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #345 of 9,499
I see.  But surely the difference in mileage would help offset that right?  130 miles a day is a LOT.

I'm not aware of a VW/Audi turbo that breaks 150k with grace. Diesel either. You're talking both in one. :frowning2:

I know that the older Chevrolet Corsica and the two-door based on it age very well (my mom still has hers, 290,000 miles later it still runs strong), but I don't know what that car turned into after the Lumina. The modern Malibu (not Impala - that was a mistake on my part) is a sad replacement though - great fuel economy and performance, but crap maneuverability/turning radius (I won't explain how I know this here, but you know how to reach me). I've heard friendly things about the Impala actually, but they also get like 18mpg. I want to say there's an in-between between the Aveo and the Malibu that might be worth looking at (or the Aveo itself - zippy little thing that it is). With Ford I think it's still the Taurus, but that SUV/station wagon thing they put out a few years ago wasn't a bad ride either (not the Taurus X, what was it called...Freedom or something like that?), and the 500 is supposed to be a very nice ride, but again, ~20mpg.

You couldn't GIVE ME a Subaru or Scion. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back