An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Feb 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,906 of 9,499
I would be interested to know if the seamless panels are actually seamless. I would think that would be very difficult to achieve in a movie theater. Doing it at a trade show is different because you aren't typically sitting there for 2 hours staring at the seams.

If it were me, and I was going to spend that kind of coin, I would just go all the way and build a theater room with lighting control, acoustic room treatments, theater seating and a 4K projector with an anamorphic lens. Oh - and don't forget the seat shakers and smell-o-vision!

You forgot the popcorn and Icee machines. :cool:

Personally I wouldn't go with 4k though - you'll compromise basically all legacy content, and spend a bucket of cash just to be "first."

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,908 of 9,499
Really? I had read somewhere that the upscaling from 1080P to 4K was very good.

I'm a big proponent of native playback, and 1080p isn't the only content out there. There's a lot of a lot that only exists in 480i or 480p (and I'm also not a fan of re-buying everything just because some new whizbang format comes out).

You'll never "improve" the quality of video by heavily post-processing it - the best you can do is prevent it from looking disgusting. And given the cluster***k that "original" HDTV was (wrt AR, color sampling, etc), *more* conversion isn't the answer. Of course this goes against the bulk majority of advertising and trade rags that will whine about how high resolution is manna from heaven, but they gotta do something to move units. :rolleyes:

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,909 of 9,499
I think he means scaling 480i to 4K, which could obviously be... problematic.

FP was something I ventured into before, and I didn't like having to dim the lights and put up with the typical projector nonsense just to watch a little TV.

I would be interested to know if the seamless panels are actually seamless.

Agreed, which is why I put it in quotes. I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, there's the 110" Samsung LED-LCD that's been claimed doesn't exist outside of demos, but you can still buy.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,910 of 9,499
OK - yeah - you are right - and I agree - I hate stretched content. There isn't any magic processing that is going to make 480i content look good on a huge theater screen. I would probably add that 480i with absolutely no upscaling will *also* suck on a big theater screen, so we're probably just looking for the lesser of two evils.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #1,912 of 9,499
I think he means scaling 480i to 4K, which could obviously be... problematic.

Problematic would be a polite way of putting it.

FP was something I ventured into before, and I didn't like having to dim the lights and put up with the typical projector nonsense just to watch a little TV.
Agreed, which is why I put it in quotes. I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, there's the 110" Samsung LED-LCD that's been claimed doesn't exist outside of demos, but you can still buy.

Sony and Sharp have 70-80" LCDs, I've yet to see an example that doesn't have uniformity problems. They also cost *a lot* for what they are.

I've seen the Samsung LFD walls before, even the "bezel-less" stuff they parade around with AMD is like watching through a fence.

As far as FP goes - projectors have improved a lot in the last decade, as has automation - setting up a Lutron or similar control scheme for the room's lighting + the PJ isn't the sole domain of million dollar rooms now. I'd honestly encourage you to check it out. That said, I agree with your point regarding watching TV, and my take would be to integrate a conventional television for non-cinema viewing (if you want to get super ritzy, go with a nice LCD and some motion furniture, fully automated setup - it'll switch displays on command, etc).

OK - yeah - you are right - and I agree - I hate stretched content. There isn't any magic processing that is going to make 480i content look good on a huge theater screen. I would probably add that 480i with absolutely no upscaling will *also* suck on a big theater screen, so we're probably just looking for the lesser of two evils.

480i on a native screen will look fine up to a point (distance/size/luminence/etc define context) assuming fidelity is there to begin with. It's relative though - advertisers have done a great job in the last few years of obfuscating all of that and just focusing in on resolution (just like amplifiers only being marketed based on wattage).

If we're talking about a legitimate movie theater though, even 1080p can look bad.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #1,913 of 9,499
FS: `86 Countach 5000Q w/ all factory Alpine options. Gee, that's pretty. :eek:

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,914 of 9,499
Remember the TG episode where James finally drives a Countach - his boyhood dream car? I think his conclusion was that we shouldn't drive our boyhood dream cars... :wink:

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,915 of 9,499
Remember the TG episode where James finally drives a Countach - his boyhood dream car? I think his conclusion was that we shouldn't drive our boyhood dream cars... :wink:

Yes, however, that was an ancient LP400, they improved them greatly by the end of the model run. That one is the last carbureted model, before they went with the often maligned Bosch EFI system, which killed their horsepower. The one above has issues, though; blown seal, bad water pump, several damaged valves (because the chucklehead ran it for "a few" miles while the oil was low), and nonworking AC. Cosmetically it's almost perfect, however, and has only 13k miles on it. $75k.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,916 of 9,499
Quote:
FS: `86 Countach 5000Q w/ all factory Alpine options. Gee, that's pretty.
eek.gif

I had several pictures of that car on my walls when I was growing up. 
smile.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,917 of 9,499
Yes, however, that was an ancient LP400, they improved them greatly by the end of the model run. That one is the last carbureted model, before they went with the often maligned Bosch EFI system, which killed their horsepower. The one above has issues, though; blown seal, bad water pump, several damaged valves (because the chucklehead ran it for "a few" miles while the oil was low), and nonworking AC. Cosmetically it's almost perfect, however, and has only 13k miles on it. $75k.

Sorry but I don't think that damage is from "a few" :ph34r:.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,918 of 9,499
I had several pictures of that car on my walls when I was growing up. 
smile.gif

Me too, it was one of those huge posters ~5' wide.

Sorry but I don't think that damage is from "a few" :ph34r:.

I dunno, Italian engineering wasn't very "scientific" back then. It was more like French cooking. :D

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #1,919 of 9,499
I remember having a huge argument with a guy in my college dorms about whether the Countach or the Vector was the better car. Of course, this was when there was exactly *one* running Vector prototype, compared to the Countach that had been in production for several years and was a real car. Just goes to show you that fanbois predated the internet. :wink:

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #1,920 of 9,499
Today we're going to Virginia to check it out. It'll be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back