An advertising exec somewhere needs to be shot.
Dec 18, 2005 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Daryn Alexander

100+ Head-Fier
I was watching TV a few hours ago and there was a commercial for Zales on there, with a man walking home to give his wife an engagement ring. And what song could suit the occassion more than "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie.

I think someone missed the point. This topples HP's use of "Pictures of You" in their crap commercials. I was going to get one of their computers, but (I kid you not) that commercial honestly lured me to a Sony Vaio.

Okay, so what are some other advertising blunders?

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 23
This sounds so far-fetched that you probably won't believe me, but it's true: when I was watching the news coverage of the WTC crashes on 9/11/01 at about 10 or 11 in the morning, I saw a commercial for Boeing.

Dec 18, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 23
One of the department stores pissed me off when in a series of television ads they used "Always Something There to Remind Me" and changed the lyrics and made it sound all upbeat.

Dec 18, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander
I think someone missed the point. This topples HP's use of "Pictures of You" in their crap commercials. I was going to get one of their computers, but (I kid you not) that commercial honestly lured me to a Sony Vaio.

This one didn't bother me that much. Maybe someone got turned onto the Cure that hadn't heard them before.

-jar

Dec 18, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 23
I hate that damned Verizon(I think?) commercial with the kids and their parents singing about cell phones. Makes me want to kill every single one of them, those dirty b*tches.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

I was watching TV a few hours ago and there was a commercial for Zales on there, with a man walking home to give his wife an engagement ring. And what song could suit the occassion more than "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie.

Okay, so what are some other advertising blunders?

Funny you mention this Zales commercial. I almost vomited on my shoes. As a result of this commercial, I will never EVER buy anything from Zales. I would like to believe that if Freddy was still alive, he would have fought against the use of this song in this way. As for Bowie and the other members of Queen - I am dissappointed.

The only other commercials I find more offensive than this one are the ones the U.S. Armed services put out. Those commercials look like some big production MTV Video. They make it seem like you will be some sort of a Vin Diesel Triple XXX rock star if you join the Marines, when I know that the truth of the matter is you will really just be scrubbing the floors of a latrine with a tooth brush. I have yet to see a commercial tell a bigger more deceptive lie. I can just see the reaction from the poor people duped by this commercial when they arrive at boot camp - "Goly-gee this ain't nothin' like the commercial wuz".

And before someone gets their panties in a bunch, I am not knocking the people who serve our country - I am grateful for them. I am just pointing out what a lie those commercials are - nothing more, nothing less.

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
The only other commercials I find more offensive than this one are the ones the U.S. Armed services put out. Those commercials look like some big production MTV Video. They make it seem like you will be some sort of a Vin Diesel Triple XXX rock star if you join the Marines, when I know that the truth of the matter is you will really just be scrubbing the floors of a latrine with a tooth brush. I have yet to see a commercial tell a bigger more deceptive lie. I can just see the reaction from the poor people duped by this commercial when they arrive at boot camp - "Goly-gee this ain't nothin' like the commercial wuz".

Hah, so true..

I've been in the Navy for approximately five years, and while I haven't scrubbed anything in a fairly long time, I can tell you first hand that the commercials are about as far from the truth as is possible, lol.

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 23
J.C. Penny is currently running their Christmas ads using ELO's "Living Thing" just to get the lyric: "it's a giving thing".
rolleyes.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 23
I've been hearing "It's more than a bargain, it's the best I ever had" in relation to Ford trucks or something like that for many years. When I did get into The Who it took me a little while to actually enjoy that song without relating it to a commercial.

Quote:

Those Jeff Goldblum narrated commercials for Apple and Toyota annoyed me.

I think he just bugs me. Ever since Indepence Day movie.

I liked him in the Fly, but he started annoying me since Jurassic Park.

-Ed

I like Jeff Goldblum, can't blame the guy for taking a huge blockbuster to bring in some money. Haveyou seen Igby Goes Down? He was fantastic in that. I thought he was great in both JP and ID despite the overall quality of those movies.

And what else was he going to keep earning money off of, Earth Girls are Easy?
eek.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
This one didn't bother me that much. Maybe someone got turned onto the Cure that hadn't heard them before.

-jar

Yeah, there is that, but you can also say that about that horrible 311 cover of Love Song. Just mismatched is all. There are plenty of upbeat, catchy Cure songs that SHOULD be in commercials.

edit: and with that, I've hit 100. How depressing. Perhaps I should put on "100 Years".

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
A classic:

Microsoft's Windows 95 intro-spot with the Stones' "Start Me Up". Hilarious.

"You make a grown man cry"

Can anyone think of good song usage in commercials?

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

I had the same reaction; I can't turn the channel fast enough. Celebrating a relationship or showing how the purchase of overpriced jewelry causes pressure, I am not sure what the agency had in mind.

On another note, I love those Nextel Guys with the boombox dancing to "Oh baby baby" and their boss walks in

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 23
Those frikkin' Buger King commercials with that BK Guy CREEPS ME OUT, especially the one where the guy wakes up and the BK guy is in the bed with him.

That BK guy is just scary looking. He sorta reminds me of the clown doll in the movie Poltergeist.

I know that those commercials don't really have anything to do with music, but I felt I had to get that off my chest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back