An Absolutely Amazing Headphone Album! - Head-Fi TV, Episode 006
May 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 121
May 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #18 of 121
It's really great to see (and hear) a technology that was practically abandoned years ago for music recording because of poor loudspeaker compatibility being recognized by so many people on the respective threads on this forum. Back in the 60s and 70s, when the Neumann Dummy Head was regarded "hip" for audio, numerous radio dramas and pieces of musical art were recorded with those units. 

Nowadays, it's quite hard to spot binaural recordings of fine music I guess the most frequent use for the Dummy Head are environmental audio measurements), so thumbs up to Chesky Records for bringing this technology back right to were it belongs, into the hearts and minds of folks who enjoy sonic masterpieces mostly on their headphones!

In case some of you are interested in reading a bit about Binaural Recording, I can only recommend the Neumann Website where they offer multiple documents on that technology @ http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=ku100_publications .

Apart from the Dummy Head, there are other stereo microphone techniques like OSS (a quasi-binaural technique developed by the famous Juerg Jecklin) to look out for that offer an improved stereophonic experience via headphones without sacrificing too much on speaker compatibility. 

Enjoy life and music, keep those binaural recordings rolling in,

VanDaven

May 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #20 of 121
Thanks for bring this up again it was featured a while back but i some how just didn,t get around to buyying it.

another great episode can,t wait for more, i wish i was kidding but im not, please do headfi 101 soon. :)

listening to it now and i do have to argree closing the eyes works!!! abit freaky though.

go jude!

May 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 121
WOAH. When the binaural started playing I thought someone was trying to break down the wall to my left D:

Very nice. Diggin' the HF2's round your neck as well.

May 19, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #23 of 121
Thanks for the great video Jude.
I also did a double take when I heard the drums kick in and I have already purchased and listened to  the album a few times 
eek.gif

Absolutely amazing!!

May 20, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #24 of 121
Thanks Jude.  Bought the album and I'm enjoying it.  BTW, the music is not my cup of tea but for some reason I'm enjoying it
darthsmile.gif

May 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #25 of 121

Quote:
I really hope I'm not the only one who jumped and paused the video when I noticed drums being played six metres away from my left ear...
I'm surprised you didn't comission a piece of binaural music to use for HFTV, in fact. I guess it's not really worth it for the difficulty involved, but it'd be damn cool.

I saw you tweet about those monstrous-looking black thingies. Are you going to do an episode on them, or do you just enjoy leaving exclusive headphones around to taunt us with?
tongue.gif

Anyway, another great episode.

You're not the only one! Thought it was coming from outside my window for a second lol Amazing!

May 20, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 121
For those of you guys that thought something was actually there next to you (bad neighbor, 6ft away drum, etc) what headphones are you guys using? I'm not really hearing these cues that's supposed to convince my brain that sound is coming from out of the headphones with my ATH-M50... 

May 20, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #29 of 121

Quote:
For those of you guys that thought something was actually there next to you (bad neighbor, 6ft away drum, etc) what headphones are you guys using? I'm not really hearing these cues that's supposed to convince my brain that sound is coming from out of the headphones with my ATH-M50... 

Strange, I gotta try it with my m50's. I would think it would've been better. I heard it with my new ATH-CKM50A's. I'm still fairly new to iems (although I gotta say I love the sound on these) but even I was thinking, "damn maybe I should get up and get my HD-25's to hear this" but I had these next to me so I used them... and I was pretty surprised. Definitely paused it for a second and looked to the left toward my window to see if it was someone outside making noise. Anyway, I think it's all due to the recording though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back