Amy Winehouse, Back to Black. Is it supposed to sound like crap?
Aug 4, 2007 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
Just picked up Amy Winehouse, Back to Black from some Amazon seller.
I really like the music, but it sounds terrible, like they were trying to recreate a bad 50's-60's recording. Was that on purpose?

The release number on the spine is 1714211 from Universal & Island Records Group.

Wondering if I got some kind of bogus copy? On the cover, there is a banner at the bottom with the word "Edicion" and has the countries Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, and the flags of each country.

The cover picture is also different. Mine has her sitting on a chair and the one on Amazon shows her lounging in a tub.

Any clues? Does the US copy sound bad too?

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 35
It does sound really crappy.

Very disappointing, as I love the music. But the album is virtually unlistenable on my home setup.

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does sound really crappy.

Very disappointing, as I love the music. But the album is virtually unlistenable on my home setup.

Amen to that Jimmy. The level of forced distortion is unbelievable, at least I hope it was forced. Either way it has to go down as one of the poorest recordings I've ever heard.

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 35
One, or more of you Winehouse fans should leave a message on her website letting her and everyone else know how poorly recorded her last CD is. She needs to know that her CD buying fans are unhappy with the way her label is representing her.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One, or more of you Winehouse fans should leave a message on her website letting her and everyone else know how poorly recorded her last CD is. She needs to know that her CD buying fans are unhappy with the way her label is representing her.

I'm on it! (Or not. No contacts on the website, only a newsletter sign up. Might have access through that)

FYI.
I was just reading the Sweetwater Sound catalog (Pro gear).
In addition to software that adds record noise, tape saturation, and other on purpose distortion, I saw ads for this and this.

OMG
eek.gif

These "give you the ability to hear what your mixes will sound like on bass-challenged real-world systems such as computers, televisions, car stereos, iPod docking stations, boombox, or any other non hi-fidelity system, the outside world has billions of systems that don't sound as great as yours."

Who gives a S**t what it sounds like on a crappy system? They know their system sucks, deal with it. Why destroy the recording and punish all the rest of us who care about sound quality?

No wonder we get CD's that sound as bad as Back to Black.
Who's putting the idea that this is a good thing into recording engineer's heads?
TR

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who gives a S**t what it sounds like on a crappy system? They know their system sucks, deal with it. Why destroy the recording and punish all the rest of us who care about sound quality?

No wonder we get CD's that sound as bad as Back to Black.
Who's putting the idea that this is a good thing into recording engineer's heads?
TR

Consumers. These mixes actually do sound better on lower quality equipment. Engineers are forced to compromise between a high quality and low quality mix in order for the music to translate well across multiple systems. Luckily, the quality of even cheap stereo equipment is improving to the point where we should start seeing even more people complaining about these harsh mixes. Plus, the amount of compression, limiting, excitation, etc. far surpasses what is actually necessary for translation--this is the part that's inexcusable.

About Amy Winehouse... I just figured the producers took Christina Aguilera's Back to Basics idea one step further by introducing intentional distortion and noise, just like old soul and doo-wop records. I haven't heard the CD, but that was my impression from seeing the single on TV.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About Amy Winehouse... I just figured the producers took Christina Aguilera's Back to Basics idea one step further by introducing intentional distortion and noise, just like old soul and doo-wop records. I haven't heard the CD, but that was my impression from seeing the single on TV.

I figured that's what they might have been trying to do, but the music style could have conveyed that without wrecking the recording.

BTW, I heard Back to Basics, I actually liked some of it.
eek.gif

Who knew a former pop princess could be tolerable?

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 35
Amy was a guest on the DVD The Strat Pack, a tribute to the 50th anniversary of the Fender Stratocaster. I had a hard time liking her, but I'll have to check out some of her recordings. What would be a good 'intro'?

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by david87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the vinyl compared to the cd, does it still have the same problem?

Considering the same thing. They have it new at HMV for like 14 bucks. Might just bite the bullet and see. Problem is, if it's the mastering that's the culprit, then the vinyl SHOULD sound better, but if it's intentional "grit" then it'll sound just as bad.

Worst sounding record I have ever heard, bar none (Californication sounds like a Hoffman remaster compared to this). A shame to hold that title on an album with such great music.

[EDIT] Hermitt - She's new to the scene, so there are only two albums so far. Back to Black is her current release and breakout album. I have yet to hear her first, "Frank", but I understand it's mostly covers and standards (and excellently done) rather than original material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back