Ampsandsound Kenzie/Mogwai Impressions
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #231 of 347
I have to post this, sorry if it seems redundant. I just spent the past hour listening to Alison Kraus & Union Station LIVE on a 44.1 / 16 ripped file playing through J. River with no DSP added file is playing direct. I have listened to this EXACT file over 100 times with various headphones including the HD800, HD650, HiFiMan HE500, and 560., along with various others. I have heard it ob superior systems using high end horns with lowther & AER drivers as well as many others. Listening to disc 2 "New Favorite" near the end of the track forr the very first time I heard Alison clear her throat. I heard several other things as well but this one stuck out as I KNOW I would recall that as I recall David Gilmour clearing his throat on "Wish you Were Here" The inner detail the Mogwai is retrieving is unreal. I thought I had heard it all..................Leaves me wondering WHY is it the input trannies or ? Again Justin Superior AMP
Joe, indeed it is the input transformers that makes the difference. Although, there are other changes from Mogwai OG to Mogwai SE that have added to the SE model's performance. Justin can go further into that. It's also why @ampsandsound doesn't offer the Mogwai SE without the input transformer.

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #232 of 347
guys, i have a chance to buy ampsandsound AGARTHA , has anyone listened to this 300B? how is it compare to Mogwai SE?

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #233 of 347
guys, i have a chance to buy ampsandsound AGARTHA , has anyone listened to this 300B? how is it compare to Mogwai SE?

Have not heard personally. I have heard good things but it is supposed to have a higher noise floor, which is one of the reasons it is no longer being sold. If you are getting it as a speaker amp, I would assume you will be happy.

If you plan to use it with Susvaras or lower efficiency headphones probably will be fine.

Outside of that I would shoot an email
to A&S and see what they think. Simply put you will probably like it but if you want a black background proceed with caution.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #234 of 347
That covers the basics :wink:.
it’s a great amp. Occasionally we still sell but provide a bit of education first. It’s a ZNFB amp and a huge triode. The lack of feedback, rigid mounting of the 4pin sockets or the ac fills could contribute to it. At 5watts it’s crazzy powerful but has a noise floor that’s is not as compatible with all headphones.

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #235 of 347
Has any one tried ZMF Atticus? Should I buy a pair
The Atticus is a closed back energetic, musical and very pleasant sounding headphone. If you are after a closed back, the Atticus is an excellent choice.

Sep 30, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #236 of 347
Just dropping in my review of the Mogwai SE which I picked up back in June. Not my first tube amp, but it is my first SET.

My experience can easily be summed up in one word: magical. From the extension, the imaging, to the textures and tone it produces, pretty fantastic. The amount of power available is also both impressive and almost absurd. I was previously using it with the Atticus which I've since sold to eventually pick up a pair of Verites, and there was the distinct impression that the amp was taking full control of the drivers in a way I haven't heard before. An analogy would be watching two people pick up a heavy rock, the first is able to lift it but just barely, while the second is much stronger and lifts it with ease. Technically both people were able to lift the rock, but the second made the action seem effortless and highly controlled. This is the Mogwai.

I also tried out some 64 Audio Nios on the 8 ohm tap and was shocked by fantastic the pairing was. Low noise, amazing bass, and beautiful vocal clarity.

Tube upgrades are not required but definitely increase the magic. Swapping out the 6L6GCs for a pair of Bendix 6889s kindly supplied by Justin opened the door to Narnia even wider. Now I'm hooked.

The other surprising outcome I did not expect was using the Mogwai SE as my main speaker amp as well. 4 watts can go a very long way with high efficiency speakers.

Justin is fantastic as well, giving endless advice and insights into everything and really helping me build everything else up in my system around the Mogwai SE to really let it shine. If you are looking for a well built tank to provide you with endless hours of listening magic, I would highly recommend reaching out to him. Extremely happy.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #237 of 347
Just dropping in my review of the Mogwai SE which I picked up back in June. Not my first tube amp, but it is my first SET.

My experience can easily be summed up in one word: magical. From the extension, the imaging, to the textures and tone it produces, pretty fantastic. The amount of power available is also both impressive and almost absurd. I was previously using it with the Atticus which I've since sold to eventually pick up a pair of Verites, and there was the distinct impression that the amp was taking full control of the drivers in a way I haven't heard before. An analogy would be watching two people pick up a heavy rock, the first is able to lift it but just barely, while the second is much stronger and lifts it with ease. Technically both people were able to lift the rock, but the second made the action seem effortless and highly controlled. This is the Mogwai.

I also tried out some 64 Audio Nios on the 8 ohm tap and was shocked by fantastic the pairing was. Low noise, amazing bass, and beautiful vocal clarity.

Tube upgrades are not required but definitely increase the magic. Swapping out the 6L6GCs for a pair of Bendix 6889s kindly supplied by Justin opened the door to Narnia even wider. Now I'm hooked.

The other surprising outcome I did not expect was using the Mogwai SE as my main speaker amp as well. 4 watts can go a very long way with high efficiency speakers.

Justin is fantastic as well, giving endless advice and insights into everything and really helping me build everything else up in my system around the Mogwai SE to really let it shine. If you are looking for a well built tank to provide you with endless hours of listening magic, I would highly recommend reaching out to him. Extremely happy.

I got mine in July, and agree 110%. Justin supplied mine with Bendix 6384's. I also have a pair of EH EL34's, a pair of Tung-Sol 6L6GC STR's that Justin recommended, and a pair of Genelex Gold Lion KT66's to play with. But I'm loving the way the amp sounds so much right now that I can't get myself to change the tubes! Also, the only tap I've tried so far is the 32 ohm one. I haven't been able to force myself to try the others yet. It just sounds so good I don't want to change a thing.

The only headphones I've used with it are my HD800S, but I should be receiving a ZMF Auteur very soon. The pairing with the HD800S is sublime. My GS-X Mini sounds superb, but the Mogwai just takes it to another level. Sound stage is enormous, and the tubes give it a 3D-like quality.

Mine came upgraded with Jupiter caps, though I have no idea how much of a difference they make for me. All I know is I would buy this amp again in a New York second.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #238 of 347
I got mine in July, and agree 110%. Justin supplied mine with Bendix 6889's as well. I have a pair of EH EL34's, a pair of Tung-Sol 6L6GC STR's that Justin recommended, and a pair of Genelex Gold Lion KT66's to play with. But I'm loving the way the amp sounds so much right now that I can't get myself to change the tubes! Also, the only tap I've tried so far is the 32 ohm one. I haven't been able to force myself to try the others yet. It just sounds so good I don't want to change a thing.

The only headphones I've used with it are my HD800S, but I should be receiving a ZMF Auteur very soon. The pairing with the HD800S is sublime. My GS-X Mini sounds superb, but the Mogwai just takes it to another level. Sound stage is enormous, and the tubes give it a 3D-like quality.

Mine came upgraded with Jupiter caps, though I have no idea how much of a difference they make for me. All I know is I would buy this amp again in a New York second.
Hi, I am waiting for mine, its coming in a week.... I also upgraded to the Jupiter caps.... I can't wait to try it with the ZMF Verite!!!
How did you like it with the Auteur?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back