Ampsandsound Kenzie/Mogwai Impressions
Jan 18, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #242 of 347
Does Mogwai SE sound good with ZMF Verite headphones? No background noise / hiss ?

That will be tube dependent, the Mogwai SE is incredibly quiet for a single ended tube amp. I have used it with Verite open and closed and enjoyed it with both, however a microphonic tube can cause some noise, so be carful to always tubes that have been noise screened.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #243 of 347
I know it's been written but working with Justin is a pleasure. He's more than happy and willing to answer any questions. He even offered to send me pictures of the various chassis and transformers for size comparisons. I'm now awaiting my Mogwai SE w/ Jupiter caps. Super excited! I currently own a Hifiman Arya and a ZMF Verite Closed.

I even received a call today from Justin to tell me my unit will be ready sooner than expected. Made my day! :)

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #244 of 347
I just came back from a friendly local meet in Sydney, Australia. I had the opportunity to listen to Meze Empyrean and Dan Clarke Ether 2 with Ampandsound Encore. I fell in with that amp immediately. Encore is very quiet, has a mid centric lovely tone and the amp looks so good in person. I almost wanted to buy it. However as I have the Elekit TU-8200, I have the essential tubes such as KT88, KT77, 6L6gc, KT66, 807, EL34, etc, so I've decided that the Mogwai Se will be better for me. So that's the amp I will get.

Pictures of the meet with Encore and headphones.

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #245 of 347
Mogwai OG has really good synergy with Utopia. Stage height is definitely improved with better imaging, vocals a touch more forward and delivered with tube euphory, but the best part is the bass extension and presence are significantly improved.

IMG_3158.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_3158.JPEG
    IMG_3158.JPEG
    905.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #246 of 347
This is my first journey into tube amps and OMG!!!

Thank you so much to Marcello for selling me his amazing Mogwai OG with upgraded Jupiter caps. Marcello is a super cool guy, and his youtube channel and reviews have given me something to look forward to throughout this pandemic. It is because of Marcello's Live Stream (with Tyler and Elnrik) that I first got interested in tube amps, and it convinced me to save up more money and take the plunge on the Mogwai OG:

A super thank you to Justin Weber for his patience and for all of the time he spent answering my all of my noobie questions. I know it has been said over and over, but Justin really is one of the nicest guys ever, and anyone who talks with him will instantly understand what I'm talking about. There are good people, there is great customer service, and then there's Justin. I won't mention all that he did to help me decide which amp is best for me (he knows), but it was beyond what anyone else would do. Thank you again, Justin. You've earned a customer for life.

All I can say is that my music is so ALIVE now. Here's a list of cliche audiophile adjectives to describe what I'm hearing: three-dimensional, live, sharply defined midrange, separated images, amazing tonality, warm, euphonic, smooth, and rich like butter. I'm in the middle of the music now, and the instruments are floating all around me. I don't know what else to say...it's simply like experiencing a beautiful work of art, and that's just with my 6xx headphones.

I purchased a pair of Verite Closed headphones and they are coming soon. I can't even imagine how good it will sound. Right now, taking off my 6xx headphones feels like forcing myself out of a warm bed on a cold morning. I'm blown away.

I was really on the fence about getting 32 ohm and 8 ohm taps, but my LCD-X sounds delicious on the 8 ohm tap as the bass is tight and eveything seems more defined than the 32 ohm tap. For anyone with planar headphones, getting the 32 ohm/8 ohm combination is the way to go, and you still have the speaker binding posts as an option too. Justin tells me that efficient speakers with the Mogwai is incredible. This amp is very versatile and seems to have the power to drive everything. You can see that I barely turn the volume knob to about 8 o'clock and it's already loud enough for me.

1618038794823.jpeg

1618038839886.jpeg

This picture is completely unedited. All around the edges of the Tungsol 6L6GC STR tubes, there is a deep blue haze that is amazing to look at while listening to music.

-Ray

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #247 of 347
Congrats on such a awesome set up @RayRod. Ampsandsound is my fav brand for sure. The combination of Looks, performance and Justin is what sets them apart. It is exactly the same reason Kennerton is my favorite headphone brand. The only reason I do not have a ampsandsound right now is because I have my listening room in my living room and there is no cage for the tubes and I have a young child. In 1.5 years or so I will have a house and a separate listening room and you can bet ampsandsound will be my primary amp again.

Apr 11, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #248 of 347
This is my first journey into tube amps and OMG!!!

Thank you so much to Marcello for selling me his amazing Mogwai OG with upgraded Jupiter caps. Marcello is a super cool guy, and his youtube channel and reviews have given me something to look forward to throughout this pandemic. It is because of Marcello's Live Stream (with Tyler and Elnrik) that I first got interested in tube amps, and it convinced me to save up more money and take the plunge on the Mogwai OG:

A super thank you to Justin Weber for his patience and for all of the time he spent answering my all of my noobie questions. I know it has been said over and over, but Justin really is one of the nicest guys ever, and anyone who talks with him will instantly understand what I'm talking about. There are good people, there is great customer service, and then there's Justin. I won't mention all that he did to help me decide which amp is best for me (he knows), but it was beyond what anyone else would do. Thank you again, Justin. You've earned a customer for life.

All I can say is that my music is so ALIVE now. Here's a list of cliche audiophile adjectives to describe what I'm hearing: three-dimensional, live, sharply defined midrange, separated images, amazing tonality, warm, euphonic, smooth, and rich like butter. I'm in the middle of the music now, and the instruments are floating all around me. I don't know what else to say...it's simply like experiencing a beautiful work of art, and that's just with my 6xx headphones.

I purchased a pair of Verite Closed headphones and they are coming soon. I can't even imagine how good it will sound. Right now, taking off my 6xx headphones feels like forcing myself out of a warm bed on a cold morning. I'm blown away.

I was really on the fence about getting 32 ohm and 8 ohm taps, but my LCD-X sounds delicious on the 8 ohm tap as the bass is tight and eveything seems more defined than the 32 ohm tap. For anyone with planar headphones, getting the 32 ohm/8 ohm combination is the way to go, and you still have the speaker binding posts as an option too. Justin tells me that efficient speakers with the Mogwai is incredible. This amp is very versatile and seems to have the power to drive everything. You can see that I barely turn the volume knob to about 8 o'clock and it's already loud enough for me.

This picture is completely unedited. All around the edges of the Tungsol 6L6GC STR tubes, there is a deep blue haze that is amazing to look at while listening to music.

-Ray

Great setup! I've had a Mogwai SE for a few years now, and just recently got a pair of Verite C (monkeypod). The combination is absolute magic!

Definitely try some other pads though, as they change the sound drastically and everyone seems to have a different favorite. For me, the stock Auteur Lambskin sounded distant and overly smooth, and really put me off. Rolling in the Auteur Hybrid improved things a ton, but the Universe Lambskin are so much better than either - basically perfect to my ears.

Oh, and try cable rolling - weirdly, I found the ZMF 4-core Silver cable to sound a lot worse with the VCs than my old ZMF 2K Copper. Just worse in every way - total lack of synergy. And the Silver costs twice as much as the Copper!

Ohhh and once you've enjoyed it stock for a while, sling Zach at ZMF an email to ask about tube rolling the Mogwai - he is a font of information and experience, and steered me to a really fantastic roll. Makes a huge difference.

Dunc

P.S. - Incidentally, I'm coming to the VCs from LCD-XCs. They were the best closed-back headphones I'd heard until the VCs. For me, out of the box they have some problems (zingy treble being the main one), but Audeze has an audio plugin for PCs called Reveal that fixes it totally! A smidge of EQ to punch up the mids and the XCs sounded fantastic with the Mogwai! The VCs are in another league though, no EQ needed. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #249 of 347
Great setup! I've had a Mogwai SE for a few years now, and just recently got a pair of Verite C (monkeypod). The combination is absolute magic!

Definitely try some other pads though, as they change the sound drastically and everyone seems to have a different favorite. For me, the stock Auteur Lambskin sounded distant and overly smooth, and really put me off. Rolling in the Auteur Hybrid improved things a ton, but the Universe Lambskin are so much better than either - basically perfect to my ears.

Oh, and try cable rolling - weirdly, I found the ZMF 4-core Silver cable to sound a lot worse with the VCs than my old ZMF 2K Copper. Just worse in every way - total lack of synergy. And the Silver costs twice as much as the Copper!

Ohhh and once you've enjoyed it stock for a while, sling Zach at ZMF an email to ask about tube rolling the Mogwai - he is a font of information and experience, and steered me to a really fantastic roll. Makes a huge difference.

Dunc

P.S. - Incidentally, I'm coming to the VCs from LCD-XCs. They were the best closed-back headphones I'd heard until the VCs. For me, out of the box they have some problems (zingy treble being the main one), but Audeze has an audio plugin for PCs called Reveal that fixes it totally! A smidge of EQ to punch up the mids and the XCs sounded fantastic with the Mogwai! The VCs are in another league though, no EQ needed. :wink:
Dunc,

Everything about your response puts a smile on my face. I ordered the Verite Closed in Monkeypod with a 2K copper cable. I've tried Audeze's reveal plugin for my LCD-X (open backs) but Resolve's EQ settings worked better as a base. I believe he now has new LCD-XC EQ settings you my want to try. And yes, I'm definitely going to ask Zach about tube rolling recommendations.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Ray

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #250 of 347
Just grabbed a Kenzie Ovation used and man what an amp! I thought the Pendant SE was great, but the Ovation has a clarity and richness of tone that easily elevate it above the SE. Plus it's almost solid state quiet! I'm loving the 5 impedance taps for my ZMFs. Still settling in on my favorites, but wow what a ride so far! Justin's amps are extraordinary, I feel very blessed to have them. I was worried the Ovation would lack the muscle to really drive my headphones like the SE can, but this thankfully isn't an issue. There's plenty of headroom, and dynamic shifts in the music seem to be handled effortlessly. And that tone.... so sweet, without being just warm. It's fairly neutral overall, but the hint of warmth and sweetness make it irresistible to me.

Attachments

• Ovation.jpg
    Ovation.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #251 of 347
Just grabbed a Kenzie Ovation used and man what an amp! I thought the Pendant SE was great, but the Ovation has a clarity and richness of tone that easily elevate it above the SE. Plus it's almost solid state quiet! I'm loving the 5 impedance taps for my ZMFs. Still settling in on my favorites, but wow what a ride so far! Justin's amps are extraordinary, I feel very blessed to have them. I was worried the Ovation would lack the muscle to really drive my headphones like the SE can, but this thankfully isn't an issue. There's plenty of headroom, and dynamic shifts in the music seem to be handled effortlessly. And that tone.... so sweet, without being just warm. It's fairly neutral overall, but the hint of warmth and sweetness make it irresistible to me.
Hey Erics75,

I know you're in the early stages of listening, but with 5 impedance taps available, I'm really curious which taps you prefer with certain headphones. When you get more listening time, can you share which headphones you prefer on certain taps?

-Ray

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #253 of 347
I'm on the fence, after a nice long talk with Justin, between the Mogwai SE and the Ovation. You find the Ovation has punch when you need it (bass/power on louder rock songs) but air and detail? I don't care much about less tube-rolling opportunities with the Ovation if the Ovation is superior overall.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #254 of 347
I'm on the fence, after a nice long talk with Justin, between the Mogwai SE and the Ovation. You find the Ovation has punch when you need it (bass/power on louder rock songs) but air and detail? I don't care much about less tube-rolling opportunities with the Ovation if the Ovation is superior overall.
I haven't heard the Mogwai (or if I have it was at a meet and quick), so my only point of reference is the Pendant SE, which I've read is similar to the Mogwai due to the Jupiter caps in the SE.

I find the Ovation easily matches the SE in resolution. It better separates instruments on stage as well. With the SE there's just a bit more stacking going on, whereas on the Ovation the instruments seem to space out a bit more and bleed into each other less. But we're talking super subtle differences that require reference level tracks and high concentration to pick it up. For normal listening they're essentially identical from a resolution perspective.

The bass is sweeter sounding on the Ovation as well. The SE's bass hits a bit faster, giving the impression of increased quantity, but when I go back and forth I realize the pressure levels i'm feeling on my eardrums seems the same. The SE just hits a bit quicker, resulting in an initial strike that's stronger, but once the note fully emerges and decays, they seem to be generating the same pressure levels, if that makes any sense. The Ovations' leading edge on the bass is just a bit slower and rounder. I personally like it more, but it's just a personal preference. They're both exceptional.

The Ovation is super quiet compared to the SE. The SE isn't overly noisy, but in comparison it's not even close. Even on the high Z tap, the Ovation has almost no noise.

The SE is a bit brighter overall, regardless of tube rolling. I can darken the signature quite a bit, but it still leans towards neutral. The Ovation is hard to explain. It's fairly neutral overall, but has a sweetness to the notes that's lacking on the SE. It seems both warm and smooth, and neutral and resolving at the same time. But overall since getting the Ovation I have little interest in the SE sadly. I still have much respect for the SE, it was easily the best tube amp i've owned until the Ovation. But the Ovation's sound signature is better to me. And the additional taps are awesome. I still find myself playing with the different taps to see which I like most. Oddly one day i'll listen to a set on 100 and think man this is perfect. The next day same headphone, I prefer the 16. Weird, but oddly fun and satisfying.

If you mainly run high z headphones, the Ovation seems the better option. But if you have a wider range of headphones, especially planars, then the Mogwai might be more ideal. I think both of them will have plenty of punch, air and detail.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #255 of 347
I haven't heard the Mogwai (or if I have it was at a meet and quick), so my only point of reference is the Pendant SE, which I've read is similar to the Mogwai due to the Jupiter caps in the SE.

I find the Ovation easily matches the SE in resolution. It better separates instruments on stage as well. With the SE there's just a bit more stacking going on, whereas on the Ovation the instruments seem to space out a bit more and bleed into each other less. But we're talking super subtle differences that require reference level tracks and high concentration to pick it up. For normal listening they're essentially identical from a resolution perspective.

The bass is sweeter sounding on the Ovation as well. The SE's bass hits a bit faster, giving the impression of increased quantity, but when I go back and forth I realize the pressure levels i'm feeling on my eardrums seems the same. The SE just hits a bit quicker, resulting in an initial strike that's stronger, but once the note fully emerges and decays, they seem to be generating the same pressure levels, if that makes any sense. The Ovations' leading edge on the bass is just a bit slower and rounder. I personally like it more, but it's just a personal preference. They're both exceptional.

The Ovation is super quiet compared to the SE. The SE isn't overly noisy, but in comparison it's not even close. Even on the high Z tap, the Ovation has almost no noise.

The SE is a bit brighter overall, regardless of tube rolling. I can darken the signature quite a bit, but it still leans towards neutral. The Ovation is hard to explain. It's fairly neutral overall, but has a sweetness to the notes that's lacking on the SE. It seems both warm and smooth, and neutral and resolving at the same time. But overall since getting the Ovation I have little interest in the SE sadly. I still have much respect for the SE, it was easily the best tube amp i've owned until the Ovation. But the Ovation's sound signature is better to me. And the additional taps are awesome. I still find myself playing with the different taps to see which I like most. Oddly one day i'll listen to a set on 100 and think man this is perfect. The next day same headphone, I prefer the 16. Weird, but oddly fun and satisfying.

If you mainly run high z headphones, the Ovation seems the better option. But if you have a wider range of headphones, especially planars, then the Mogwai might be more ideal. I think both of them will have plenty of punch, air and detail.
Wow - super helpful. I have Focal Clear MG (low) and have ZMF Aeolus in order (hi) - does that push you one way or the other (though, man, the Ovation sounds hard to beat)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back