ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Apr 2, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #32 of 1,259
I'm a big fan of the Kenzie. Got to review it late last year and it was the total package...great looking retro tube amplifier with a fantastic/clean sound!

http://headphone.guru/the-amps-sound-kenzie-a-brilliant-new-tube-amplifier/

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #33 of 1,259
  I'm a big fan of the Kenzie. Got to review it late last year and it was the total package...great looking retro tube amplifier with a fantastic/clean sound!

http://headphone.guru/the-amps-sound-kenzie-a-brilliant-new-tube-amplifier/

I thoroughly agree.  You're Peter?  I enjoy reading your columns. That Kenzie review was what got me looking at it

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #34 of 1,259
  I thoroughly agree.  You're Peter?  I enjoy reading your columns. That Kenzie review was what got me looking at it

Yes, I am...thanks! If I had more room (and my wife wasn't so stringent with space) I would have gladly purchased the review amp I had. It is a peach!

Throw in the fact that you don't have to break the bank on tubes...it was win-win for me.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #35 of 1,259
Yep! I rolled in a Raytheon 2C52 before I wrote the review.  Let it burn in for a couple days...I preferred the RCA 12SL7.  The 2C was a little too thick in the bottom.  This is a reference quality amp without the need for any exotic tubes, Imo.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #36 of 1,259
Mirroring my comments from another thread:

I'm slowly working on a review of the Mogwai that I purchased. It's crunch time at work, so I can't guarantee when I'll actually get around to posting it.

I think only one or two others have purchased one at this point, so almost all impressions will be from CanJam.

From Justin:

What is "old school SET sound?"
Means Single ended without regulators, feedback or modern techniques… Think 1950s tube sound… super warm, musical without a dry/modern more analytic sound. We take old circuits and reuse, but spec the highest tolerance components we can so its old school sound with modern material sciences.

How does the sound of the Mogwai differ from the Kenzie? The Mogwai has a more neutral voicing, perhaps it’s the difference between triode strapped vs a true triode, or modern power tubes vs old power tubes, but the Mogwai is more balanced and more powerful. Its possible to find the limit of the Kenzie’s power, but Mogwai is powerful enough that even the most non-compliant headphones have dynamic range. The Mogwai has enough power output to include a speaker out… an asked for feature making the amp more versatile. 

The sonic translation to me is that the Mogwai is super vintage sounding. It encapsulates rich, romantic euphony in the best possible way. With KT88 tubes, you can get the lush midrange warmth coupled with excellent extension both into the bass and treble.

It's very responsive to tube rolling. With JJ 6CA7 tubes, I get the organic midrange with a softer treble and less bass extension. With JJ KT88s, you get a bit of bass compression so it actually punches harder than you might be used to in a tube, but it also has great treble extension without any fatiguing peaks. With Russian 6P3S-E tubes,you can extract extra detail and high end. 6550 Winged C tubes give you crazy extension but also have an upper mid peak I personally dislike.

Input tube rolling with 6SL7 and equivalent can help you combo into whatever results you're looking for. My personal favorite thus far is GE JAN 6SL7WGT input tubes with current production JJ KT88 power tubes. Great extension, but very smooth highs and powerful bass, coupled with a full liquid midrange.

I've toyed around with a bunch of random tube amps and never found anything under ~$2000 that I could say I clearly preferred to the Garage1217 Project Horizon III. There seems to be a dead zone between something like the Lyr 2/Mjolnir 2 (I like the Horizon better) and something like the Eddie Current Zana Deux S ($2300) or Cavalli Liquid Glass ($3500).

Most of the amps I've tried didn't match my preferences. I like musical, warm, euphonic sound. I favor toe-tapping and head-bobbing much more than detail and clarity. The Mogwai gives me want I want, and if I want more detail to hear further into the music, I can roll tubes for that (go all-Russian NOS if you love analytical treble. 6H9C Melz -> 5881 for example).

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 1,259
I wish I would have listened to these during CanJam. I should have just waited for a spot at the table. Hopefully they'll be another opportunity soon.

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #39 of 1,259
I've never heard of this show. Thanks for the heads up. Since off topic I'll ask follow up questions via PM.

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #40 of 1,259
Took a look at the web site tonight and there are many changes, Sadly I see the SE84 is not offered now (I would have to say it was one of the amps that got ampsandsound rolling along ) I also see there is alot of press now with various reviews

Glad to see Justin is moving on up. 
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #41 of 1,259
Ordered an SE84 from Justin last night Hope to be listening to it late next week I had one a couple years back and it is the 1 amp I keep finding myself wishing I had never sold  
biggrin.gif

Now I have to sell off all my spare tubes and amps to help cover the $$$ 
frown.gif
  I sure would like to know what wealthy feels like & keeping all the gear I like

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #42 of 1,259
Heads up for Kenzie owners

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804535/collection-of-6-12sl7gt-tubes-all-nos-military-grade-in-original-boxes
http://www.head-fi.org/t/804531/collection-of-10-raytheon-2c52-3-1960-12sl7gt-equivilant-matched-tubes-original-boxes

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #43 of 1,259

SE-84 in the house, stock tubes Pair EL84 Sovtek, 12ax7 new issue Mullard....................Bass is hitting HARD on the HD650.  overall very Musical More later after some time with it

Looks stunning 
L3000.gif

Another GREAT amp Justin

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #45 of 1,259
It has Headphones and speaker taps, currently have the stock Sennheiser cable but waiting on a Norne cable.  Trevor at Norne is superb to deal with. A lot like Justin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back